Box Office Guru Wrapup: Resident Evil Guns Down Big Opening at #1

Summary

The 3D zombie sequel Resident Evil: Afterlife easily topped the North American box office on its opening frame leading a sluggish marketplace that delivered the worst ticket sales in over two years. Grossing more than the next six films combined, the R-rated action pic from Sony's Screen Gems unit debuted to an estimated $27.7M helped, of course, by 3D surcharges. The fourth in the successful line of Milla Jovovich films averaged a muscular $8,648 from 3,203 theaters outgunning the $23.7M of the last film in the series, 2007's Resident Evil: Extinction, which was the previous franchise high. Admissions remained mostly the same with just over three million tickets sold. Back to Article

Comments

Andrew W.

Andrew Whitefield

OK seriously, enough of the spam-bots. RT, time to update your registration screening.

I wasn't motivated to see anything this past weekend. But for this weekend...I hope The Town is up to the challenge of being a smart and entertaining crime drama. Even though I love Mad Men, wonder if Jon Hamm can play someone other than Don Draper.

Sep 13 - 08:12 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I'll agree on The Town, but Devil for me just has too many strikes against it. M. Night involvement, Too many actors you know are going to be bad and a fairly limiting premise have me leaning to waiting for it to come out on STARZ.

Sep 13 - 08:43 AM

K

KateBeckinsaleLover Clarke

I agree on the M. Night point, but I think the actors look pretty good from the trailer and the whole "same spot premise" has me hooked. Kind of like with Ryan Reynolds and Buried, that looks really interesting as well.

Sep 13 - 08:02 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Who cares, it's infectious LOL.

Sep 13 - 08:45 AM

Matt J.

Matt Jordan

What is everyones definition of a "smart" film? That is the real questions here.
Get Low is a very "smart" film. I thought The Last excorsism was a "smart" film...even if the last 5 minutes dissapointed. Toy Story 3, Splice, The Ghost Writer...in my opinion all "smart" films (and they all came out in 2010). I have'nt completely given up on American film just yet...the problem is unless you have a big budget with superstars in the cast your chances of getting nation wide distrbution right out of the gate is next to zero. I think hollywood is putting out plenty of "smart" films...no one is seeing them...that is the problem.

Sep 13 - 08:50 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

A smart action film (in my mind) is one that looks to entertain (you know, "gun fights, car chases, proper action, and ****") yet goes beyond these to deliver a intelligent story, interesting characters, and good direction. Basically a action film that is good beyond just the "action."

Obviously all of this speculation is solely based on my opinion so debating this topic is rather pointless.

Sep 13 - 09:48 AM

This comment has been removed.

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Machete may be tongue in cheek but it's still pretty blatantly anti-American and stereotypes Southerners unfairly.

Secondly, what's with all the hate for Paul W.S. Anderson? Does the fact that he makes goofy action flicks based on a video game just tick you people off so much you just loathe his very existence? Anderson makes stupid action flicks the way they should be made. Big, loud, and stupid. Why does this annoy you all so much?

Sep 13 - 09:54 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Sep 13 - 09:48 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Sep 13 - 09:54 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Someone else realizes 3D is a gimmick? Hallelujah. I'm not the only one.

If you use 3D and you don't have stuff flying at the screen why bother making a movie 3D? I expect to be ducking underneath sunglasses for 2 hours if I'm going to pay $15 to get into the theater.

Sep 13 - 09:57 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Interesting, I actually prefer 3D movies that don't throw crap at the screen every 20 seconds. Avatar and Up come to mind. The 3D was a great enhancement and only occasionally did something come at the screen. To me, the added depth of 3D is just a nice enhancement to the picture that makes me feel I'm in a living Viewmaster picture. When done right, it's a beautiful thing, whether things are flying at you or not.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Sep 13 - 03:13 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Sep 13 - 03:17 PM

Matthew M.

Matthew Moran

Completely agree. 3D should be used to enhance the movie going experience much like technicolor did.

Sep 13 - 04:23 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

I'm not a fan of "adding depth." I payed top dollar to see what was supposed to be a great 3D film (How to Train Your Dragon) and apart from the fact that I didn't find that movie very entertaining I also didn't think it was worth the price of 3D.

3D will always be a gimmick in my mind.

Sep 13 - 10:42 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

The "gimmick" is having things fly off the screen at you. Or post-conversion. I agree with Ashron. 3D should enhance the visuals, not take their place.

Sep 14 - 10:25 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Just saw "The Expendables" and I have to say that I liked it!

Sep 13 - 10:26 AM

Tamas K.

Tamas Kovacs

If you lived in South Dakota, ticket prices are like 5 to 6 dollars for new movies. I'm always shocked when I find such high cost for a ticket mentioned by many RT users.

Sep 13 - 11:20 AM

Tamas K.

Tamas Kovacs

Your 18$ is what I meant when I talked about high cost, not my 5 to 6 dollars :)

Sep 13 - 11:22 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup