Resident Evil: Afterlife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Afterlife Reviews

September 12, 2010
What can I say i like Milla. She kicks ass as Alice in all these movies :)
September 20, 2010
With probably the most over the top, outlandish, in your face action sequence you've seen for sometime comes the fourth entry of the endless Resi Evil franchise. Now I REALLY am gonna try and not mention a certain Keanu Reeves sci-fi action film involving bullet time too much if possible but its gonna be hard.

This outrageously insane kamikaze opening sequence where all the clone Alice's storm the Umbrella Tokyo Headquarters is actually a guilty pleasure I must admit. Its so ridiculously stupid using every cliche in the action film textbook and rips every possible slick visual imagery you can think of from various other action/sc-fi films...yet its great fun. Jovovich/Alice is sleek, sexy and deadly as the clones tear the faceless Umbrella stormtroopers apart with machine guns and katanas. Bloody squibs bursting from the seams, bullet holes, hits to the head by Wesker on his own men at point blank range, beheadings...oh my!!

Only one question begs to be answered, where did all those Alice clones get all those identical figure hugging catsuits??

So the drudgery continues as Alice goes from one area to the next battling the undead and watching more and more of hers allies go down one by one. This time she lands her plane on a huge prison in LA, not too sure why she would quite clearly get herself stuck on this prison, let alone almost killing herself and Claire whilst trying to land on the roof. But she does because there are survivors there...but surely anyone would just fly by and find a more secure place? this prison is surrounded by millions of zombies! pfft your funeral.

The ensemble cast is actually pretty cool in this, on the same page as the first film although not many famous names. Alongside Alice in this prison we have the token black guy who runs around in a vest so we can see his big muscles, at least he's well spoken. Standard fare sexy brunette who is British (at least she isn't a blonde), the excellent Kim Coates as a slimy film producer (nice touch Mr Anderson), a funny little oriental fellow, standard fare tough guy backup number two called Angel and Wentworth Miller who again is behind bars.

To be totally frank this fourth film is completely run of the mill, bog standard stuff in terms of plot. Its simply another setup for Alice to pile drive into with a new team of zombie fodder at her side. The thing is like the first film its still quite an enjoyable ride, its totally predictable, totally cliched and pretty much rehashes the same stuff all over again but in a different location. But thanks to a quirky cast the film is pretty cool I think.

There are still plot questions that hit me, especially as this is now the fourth film. Anyone notice that the Umbrella Company has so many underground bases? also they are VAST underground bases! How and when did they build them?? (under Tokyo??!!), how are Umbrella so rich n powerful? Where on earth do all the Umbrella henchmen come from? how come they are always safe? where do they get all their guns and ammo? how come they are so useless and why would they wanna do their evil job? why does Umbrella carry on playing with the dead when the human race is almost extinct?! and finally not being a game player...who was that huge axe wielding guy? where the heck did he come from?

I must also ask why the cities in this franchise are in ruins? the undead are eating everyone not blowing up buildings, so why are they all stripped down to their structures and burnt out? The other main question was why some zombies can now run and have tentacles coming out of their mouths just like the vamps in 'Blade II'. When did this evolution occur?

I can't delve deeper for obvious reasons, the film is what it is and we all know this, its Resi Evil, don't question that. The film does deliver in my opinion, it gives you what you expect with some decent visuals and good close quarter action. The finale against Wesker is just as insanely Matrix-like as the opening sequence and just as mind bogglingly daft, maybe more so. The rock soundtrack in the background means its officially cool, its official.

You do feel the tension in these films when the heat is on and its time to escape from somewhere. The fact Alice isn't a superhero this time boosts the film giving a sense of uncertainty for once, even though you know she still won't die, still helps.
½ August 12, 2011
Fourth part in the Resident Evil franchise really doesn't do anything new or refreshing to the series to expand the franchise into new territory. Afterlife is a more of the same like previous entries, but it has a weaker and silly plot much like Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Despite this, I didn't hate it as much, but I still felt like something lacked considering that Extinction was such a good third movie. I enjoyed the action scenes, but I also thought that it relied more on effects this time around, even more so than other films in the series, and that says something. There's a decent cast here, and though there are no memorable performances, each actor brings something decent on-screen to make them stand out. As usual, the one who steals the show is Milla Jovovich and she's good as always in the role of Alice. Plot wise, this one is predictable and we know how it's going to turn out. For a fourth film, this isn't such a bad movie, but it's not great either. I think that the filmmakers could have made a far better film, but it's clear that Resident Evil worked better as a trilogy and no fourth film was needed. This is just another attempt at the studios trying to make money off a movie where so many ideas are underdeveloped and leave a lot to be desired. As it stands, Resident Evil: Afterlife is decent at best, but it's not a good movie either. When the credits roll, you realize that the film's saving grace was the action scenes, and even then, they were a bit ridiculous, even by this series standards. Don't expect anything good, but expect something mildly entertaining and you may not be disappointed. However no matter how you cut it, Resident Evil is a series that overstayed its welcome and the lack of effective ideas shows just that.
April 5, 2010
At this point, this is the best film in the franchise so far and by the looks of it, it just gets better. Director, Paul W.S Anderson has crafted an extremely well-done thrill-ride loaded with heart-pounding action and explosive suspense from beginning to end. A jaw-dropping and spectacular movie that's a pure adrenaline-rush that you just cant get enough of. An exhilarating action-packed horror ride that blows you away. It's bold, bloody and ever so cool in it's style. This movie just flat-out kicks ass all over the place and has a great ending that only promises another awesome adaptation. MIllia Jovovich and Ali Larter are back with strong portrayals as well as being incredibly demanding as the lead heroes of the film. Wentworth Miller is terrific in his debut to the series as Chris Redfield as well as Shawn Roberts as Albert Wesker giving a chillingly cool performance.
August 20, 2012
Alice joins the search for the safe haven of Arcadia and finds herself trapped in a maximum security prison with a collection of survivors in the ruins of Los Angeles. Afterlife begins with a squadron of Jovovi attacking Umbrella's headquarters in a kind of weak tribute act to The Matrix and proves once again that an original idea has never once dared trespass into the recesses of Paul Anderson's cramped imagination. He then goes on to peck at the carcasses of Escape From New York, Aliens 3 and Resurrection as well as Pitch Black to create a kind of patchwork quilt of sci-fi cliches. None of this is news of course, but as is the case with all hack directors given the keys to the 3D toy cupboard, he is far more interested in hurling slo-mo flotsam at the camera than attempting any kind of cohesive narrative. Milla still looks good but she sleepwalks through the film like a catatonic Lara Croft, while her made for TV supporting cast run around in front of a green screen while cartoon monsters climb out of the wood work to shout Boo! at them until the inevitable end that's not the end. There are enough flashing lights and loud noises to distract for 90 minutes but Afterlife is already one sequel too many and it's all so empty and pointless that it's almost wearying on the soul.
½ January 11, 2011
The first movie is not that good, 2 and 3 are decent, and then number four goes back to being bad(same director as number 1, coincidence?) I didn't see this in 3D, which I'm sure looks better in 3D, but it's still a good movie to look at. As for the story, it's the same as the others. Alice(Milla Jovovich) is battling the Umbrella corporation. She'll fight off zombies with a group of survivors, then they'll face some mutated person/zombie hybrid, that looks fake and ridiculous. Here there are even mutated dogs, which looks kinda cool, in a crappy way. I'll watch number 5, because I'll watch anything, but I sure hope it's better than this. If you watch the series, then you've seen this or will watch it eventually. If you don't like the series, or haven't started, don't waste your time, because that's really what this is, a waste of time.
Market Man
½ August 16, 2012
Cheese-ball effects and acting. Too many plot contrivances. By no means a well made film. For absolute mindless fun, you may like this.
April 20, 2011
Haven't seen the others in the saga, but this wasn't that good. There were some elements that I enjoyed, but i'll be able to tell more when I see the series in order. Milla Jovovich is not a good actress though.
½ July 20, 2011
I was expecting to be disappointed, and in that respect, this movie did not disappoint. Marginally better than the last film, but still not as good as just playing the damn games or watching a Z-budget with a better script and more focus on the zombies instead of bullet-time, explosions, and genetic clones.
½ December 26, 2010
I know that Resident Evil: Afterlife is an entertainingly but not originally crafted piece of shit. When it wasn't ripping off The Matrix (shots, bullet time effects, creepy indestructible Agent Smith-like villain) it had me cracking up at how horrifically slick, clean and fashion-savvy a world that was skull-fucked by a zombie apocalypse can be. I got sucked into Afterbir--Afterlife because I was impressed with how well done the first half hour or so of Resident Evil: Apocalypse was. Of course that one slid into the same puddle of shit where Afterbir--Afterlife resides. Some fun violence, a little foxiness, a few laughs and some serious disappointment (no matter how low your expectations are) are all you can really expect. Oh and a setup for another one, of course. Oh the places you end up when looking when you're desperate for a good zombie movie...
March 13, 2011
Paul W.S. Anderson just keeps popping them out and Resident Evil: Afterlife is everything as expected.Seen as a continuation from the previous 3 films, this installment makes it easy to piece the necessary information together and then set in motion a 90+ minute story (including a scene in the end credits) good enough to stand alone. With that said, things move briskly with a bunch of fade outs to advance the story, which is amusing enough to get by.The action is stylized with many slow motion shots and objects flying toward the screen, which is obviously put together for 3D purposes. Ultimately, there are only a few moments where any of the action approaches the impressive level.Many of the characters are uninteresting and that makes them expendable. Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter are the highlights. It is tough to argue with two gorgeous ladies doing all the dirty work.Resident Evil: Afterlife sets itself as an action oriented film rather than an eerie suspenseful one. That's all there is to it.
Nate Z.
March 12, 2011
I won't pretend these movies are anywhere close to good, but each one has provided some mild, mindless thrills. However, the fourth film in a franchise going nowhere is the first of the series that just says, "To hell with trying to be even remotely real." This is a living video game, especially the opening sequence where it's a nonstop barrage of self-conscious visual tricks, hails of bullets, gore, and a general kick in the balls to the laws of physics. I'm not asking for much, but I'd like my mindless violence to be of a quality where it doesn't feel 100 percent gratuitous and, frankly, boring. If every single scene involves someone doing something fantastic, over-the-top, and absurd, then where can my interest go but down? Director Paul W.S. Anderson returns to the series he begot in 2002. Get ready for more zombies, more weird mutant creatures that will act however they damn well feel like, and more Milla Jovovich confusing toughness with cold stares. The action is ripped purely from a video game with no regards for geography, setup, tension, development, or anything that would matter. It's just all flashes of violence one after the other. It's a mostly depressing enterprise. But where do they go from here? The second movie was subtitled "Apocalypse" (little too hasty there), the third "Extinction," and now this one is subtitled, "Afterlife." Is the next one going to be, "Reincarnation"? And the certainty of a fifth movie only adds to my depression level.

Nate's Grade: C-
February 4, 2011
Ah . . . well . . . I tell you what. The real reason i wanted to see this is because I wanted to see Milla Jovovich's most recent developments. I've been thinking about adding her to my potential wife list, but I needed to do a final bit of research, you know, just to make sure she should be on that list. As some of you know who've read my past comments, this list includes Gwyneth Paltrow, Sanaa Lathan, Parminder Nagra, and Norika Fujiwara, to name but four. For that reason, I'm happy to say that I was able to confirm that my dear Ms. Jovovich is someone I'd definitely like to marry. She is now officially on the list : ) I would actually like to congratulate her personally for achieving this honor, but I can't seem to find her phone number. Yet : ) Anyway, one humongous star for Ms. Jovovich. In fact, one star for each incarnation of Ms. Jovovich. So that's like 300 stars. Sadly, flixster only allows five. So five humongous stars for my possible future wife, although I'll never watch this movie again, and I don't think anyone else should waste their time watching it either. I mean it's reeeally bad. I kid you not. Except for my potential wife, Milla Jovovich, who is reeeeeeeeelly great : ) Can you imagine if her folks had actually had quintuplets, and there were five sisters who were identical. Wow . . . : )
September 8, 2010
4 stars...
June 29, 2010
I rated this way too high so I'm lowered my rating.

Grade: B-
September 10, 2010
There's no horror left, just gloss. And not terribly compelling gloss. But it earned a bunch of money, so expect more.
½ January 10, 2011
I'm incredibly surprised by how enjoyable I found this movie to be. I've only seen the first movie and I thought it was pretty boring and bland despite a very strong opening sequence. It's nice to see that the franchise has at least evolved a little bit since then. I had to fill in the plot myself because they don't go over much, but I wasn't that lost since I've played the video games. The action and special effects are decent here, instead of incredibly cheap and fake looking like they used to be. I guess the franchise is finally getting a budget. The action is enjoyable, even if it completely rips off of the Matrix-esque slow motion bullets and whatnot. The plot is a pretty simple end of the world zombie scenario and the movie ends on a cliffhanger, but that's about the only thing I have to complain about. They've cut down on the bad acting and dialogue considerably. Heck, this is even better than the video game series in that respect and this series lives on that. I turned my brain off and had some fun. It's not a good movie, but the franchise has improved and I look forward to what they do next.
January 6, 2011
Nothing more than another installment in the video game franchise, Resident Evil Afterlife is more or less harmless, regardless of whether it's seen in 2D or 3D.
If you're a fan of the game, you already know that this movie, as with the entire franchise, will not retain any of the game's claustrophobic atmosphere (although the games have become more of action based games than survival horror since Resident Evil 4). This movie retains the bosses and villains from Resident Evil 5, but the story continues where the third film left off.
If you're a fan of the films, you can't really go wrong with this one. It's got tons of gory action, and a passable story that links it all together. You can't really think too much about the plot holes, as that would require the movie to have a plot begin with.
For me, I was satisfied enough to see the characters from the video games brought to life. The action entertained me and didn't overstay it's welcome. Anyone who has stuck around the franchise this long knows what to expect from it, and Afterlife won't disappoint. If it does, you might have been expecting too much.
February 18, 2010
It pains me to say this, but.... THIS FILM IS AWFULI'm a huge fan of the first two Resident Evils, and I was little so-so on the third, but this installment is total garbage. It is void of any sense of authenticity, nor does it even feel like a Resident Evil film. The zombies were ridiculous looking and had peculiar habits. The action scenes were unfathomably lame and unoriginal. This was an all around train wreck that should've never even been considered for development.
September 25, 2009
Let me be clear, despite my slightly positive rating, Resident Evil: Afterlife is in no way a "good" movie. But it is entertaining, in a ridiculous, inexplicable way.

I'm a fan of this series, even though that admission would probably cause some people to doubt any and all of my credibility when it comes to movies. The last three RE flicks were just dumb, fun action movies with zombies, and I could appreciate them for what they were. No, they don't follow the games very closely, and no they weren't scary in the slightest, but I still liked them (to varying degrees). Milla Jovovich is a credible and likable action star and seeing her jumping through the air, kicking and shooting things in the face never really got old, for me. Plus, this series has a habit of including some pretty hot actresses in each installment (including this one), which I heartily approve of.

Afterlife, to be quite honest, is a train-wreck. But, it's like a train-wreck where no one gets injured, and the train cars do some crazy flips in slow motion and there are tons of explosions and everyone who happened to see it had a pretty good time watching it. Writer and director Paul W.S. Anderson has completely (and wisely) given up on trying to make these movies make sense in the slightest way, and let all logic fall right off the B- movie cliff. There's just so many cheesy, absurd things going on at any given moment that it's almost an overload. The almost constant slow motion, the AWFUL acting, the absurd dialogue, the concrete-tunneling zombies, the guarantee that exactly every 3 minutes, a zombie or monster was going to magically appear behind a character and kill/almost kill them, the random elements from the games strewn about's all just so ridiculous.

This truly awful movie appealed to me in a perverse way. It certainly didn't bore me, that's for sure. But, you should be very wary if your tolerance (and maybe even fondness?) for a disaster isn't equal to mine. Resident Evil: Afterlife destroys the limits of absurdity like one of Alice's shotguns to the face. And yet, after the extra scene during the credits, I actually felt eager to see the next Resident Evil movie. Maybe I'm the one who's absurd.