Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Apocalypse Reviews

December 28, 2010
An enormous wreck with a terrible direction, stupid characters and lame dialogue. Just about everything is awful in this unoriginal zombie movie sequel that has no imagination, and it feels and tastes like a video game, only it's the director, not us, who gets to play and have fun.
½ February 16, 2013
Jill Valentine and three other people are holed up in an abandoned church trying to escape the ever growing army of zombies within Raccoon City (one of the stupidest names for a city ever!). They are in a battle against a group of Lickers and almost out of ammo, things look bleak.

Suddenly a bright shines through the huge stained glass window...Alice blows through the glass mounted on top of a motorbike. She lands perfectly, informs the survivors to take cover and proceeds to blow away all the Lickers one by one in an eye shattering display of slow motion action enough to give any fanboy a hard on. At this exact moment the franchise dies, this is where the Resi Evil film franchise loses the gritty grown up 'Aliens' clone formula of the first film and enters the realm of hyper martial arts and lots and lots of slow motion action.

The character of Alice has been experimented on since the last film, apparently, which now gives her superhuman strength, speed and agility. This in turn takes the character and the film into the world of 'The Matrix' and absurd action set pieces.

Don't get me wrong the film isn't entirely bad, the atmosphere and visuals of the film are decent whilst the abandoned Raccoon City is created very well. You do get a great sense of dread from the deserted city, it feels dangerous and eerie with a really nice dark tone.

The film is still pretty adult I must say, there is plenty of blood, some gore and quite a few jump in your seat moments. The general survival concept is along the same lines as the first film with a small band of people trying to escape the City, its a solid idea which works. The problem is the inclusion of Alice who drags the film down utterly with her over the top macho invincibility.

The inclusion of Nemesis was of course required by all Resi fans and he is faithfully created, amazingly, although a bit rubbery. Not being a fanboy myself I just don't get why the Umbrella Corp would release this huge monster simply to kill the remaining S.T.A.R.S. members. Was this some kind of field test? and the fact they planned to nuke the City wouldn't that somewhat negate their precious creation? On top of that they make Alice fight this big guy for no real reason other than to have an exciting finale fight in the film...oh and something about seeing who is stronger, err why??? All that work just to have him fight Alice?!

The problem as said before is quite simply the character of Alice and the fact we have to follow her around from one superhero sequence to the next. On top of that you have the pathetic alpha female rivalry between Jill and Alice (and both actresses) as both compete for sexiest zombie killer. Jill wins purely down to her ridiculously skimpy outfit which is obviously in there just for the teen male audience. Because of course most special unit cops wear tight hot pants and a tight vest when in terror situations...wait this is a serious film?

Its a brave attempt which literately just keeps its head above the waves and manages to be a reasonable film. Shame about all the slow motion crap but this is what happens when Jovovich is in a film. The film is basically let down by stupid action sequences which vomit on your suspension of disbelief, had these bits been more sensible or relatively realistic then the film could have been pretty solid.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 9, 2010
The first film in the franchise was a pretty good horror film, one that made zombie films fun and entertaining. Obviously a sequel was going to be made, and we got Resident Evil: Apocalypse, which is a disappointing feature that had the potential of being so much more. The first Resident Evil film, I thought it had a lot of rousing action, terrifying scares, decent acting, and it was a bloody good time. But Resident Evil: Apocalypse does not really deliver the bite of the original, the film starts well enough, but after 20 minutes you're left scratching your head if this is really a good/bad movie. I felt it was a mess, and there were no redeeming qualities to make this one really worth seeing. This was a sloppy effort, one that failed to deliver the effective action from the first, while the action scenes were simply ridiculous and laughable. The plot was poorly crafted as well, and it just ended up falling flat most of the time. This film was simply put, a dud, a movie with no care for crafting something exciting, worth seeing or memorable for that matter. Fans of the first movie may be disappointed by this one, and it's more of a chore to watch this one as it is amusing. In terms of mindless thrills, this one just doesn't cut it. Everything feels forced with no care about constructing great action scenes that are spectacular. Resident Evil: Apocalypse is just a lazy film that had a good start and ultimately a poor finish that left a lot to be desired. This film was one of the first lacking entries in the series and you realize that this entry could have been much better than what it turned out to be. The biggest problem with the film is that there were things that worked, but things that didn't and it just ended being a lacking effort overall.
YodaMasterJedi
½ March 31, 2007
three and a half
½ September 2, 2012
Of the four "Resident Evil" movies this and the third installment rank the best, and the first and fourth aren't nearly as good. "Resident Evil Apocalypse" works best when it is a zombie movie, and then becomes ridiculous when it becomes like a mutation type horror movie(which is a problem for each movie). This picks up right where number 1 leaves off. Alice(Milla Jovovich) has awaken to find Raccoon City completely overrun with people infected with the T Virus(their zombies basically.) The Umbrella corporation isn't allowing people to leave. Alice meets up with a group people and try to escape by helping a scientist find his daughter. From there it becomes an action movie featuring a mutated zombie called Nemesis, which I didn't care for at all, but it's still better than the first film. The effects and action are good, and the story is just "meh". If you like the series, the games, or zombie movies then you should check it out. But, there are still many better movies out there, but there is worse(like the first movie).
March 14, 2011
This film is a major disappointment after having watched the first Resident Evil movie. The only positive thing that comes to mind from this movie is that some of the effects had improved since the first film. The plot to this film is very uninteresting and practically useless to the progression of the series. I think if this film was done by the same director as the first film it could have been better but it's a long-shot.
½ April 23, 2007
17/11/2010 (DVD)Here we go again and this time, let's take it to the streets! A pretty good sequel with more action and mayhem than the first. The infection from the first flick has now spread to the city and now we have a nice "Zombie Apocalypse" in our hands.Again I'd like to say that it is more "sci-fi" than horror but it is still a good enough watch for me and my liking and I enjoyed it. "Milla Jovovich" rocks it up and we have a pretty cool hybrid-like hero who swings blades, shoots the guns and rides a motor cycle while doing it.I like this flick more now as a movie rather than an adaptation of the R.E. games and seeing it right after the first R.E. flick is quite a good watch. Now it's time for "R.E: Extinction", let's go!
3niR
½ February 5, 2010
At some point, I thought this movie was not that good like the first one. But it was not that bad either. Watchable.
TheGame90
September 23, 2010
I liked it. It's a great way yo follow up the first one. And it's even better than the first one.
July 21, 2010
I liked it. Its the worst out of the series but its still fun. Nothing new or better about this movie then the first one though. I must say that while i liked the movie there some stupid parts and there's nothing original or great about this movie. Its not a good movie but it is entertaining. B-
½ September 13, 2010
I really love this, it's just so incredibly corny and over the top. Some of the all time greatest lines delivered in a movie, the GTA reference is a masterpiece among words. This one feels and operates like a videogame, so either that works or doesn't for you. While these movies serve on a guilty pleasure to most, I see no wrong in liking them. They're totally ridiculous and crazy, but most of the time on a self-aware note; especially this entry. Milla Jovovich continues to do crazy stunts and look hot whilst doing so, somehow that has become the staple of the series.
½ June 30, 2007
I'm a fan of the Resident Evil movies. They're clearly made by people who are not overly concerned with sticking closely to the video games, and I think that's a good thing. The series boils down to basically a few action flicks with a sprinkling of zombies and Milla Jovovich.

Apocalypse is pretty similar to the other two Resident Evil movies, only it's set in the same city that the second and third Resident Evil games are in. There are enough familiar names and cameos to keep fans invested in the plot and its hodge-podge of movie clichés.

As ridiculous as it is to see little, 100 pound Milla fighting a 400 pound monster or outrunning an explosion, it somehow works amongst all the other ridiculous stuff that's going on. I love all the casting, (except for the Mike Epps stereotypical character) and Jill and Alice are hot and tough enough to keep the movie interesting. Apocalypse is not frightening or mind-blowing, but I just can't help but enjoy a video game movie that is fun to watch.
½ June 3, 2009
i saw this on bootleg dvd yet i could tell that wasnt the only thing wrong with it.
MANUGINO
May 24, 2009
Mostly funnier than scary, the first one of the 3 is truly the better one still this one was worth watching and was good enough to distract you if your having a hard time with life. Also the movie didn't explain much of what was about.
After an outbreak in a top-secret facility, Umbrella ponders on covering up their mistakes by releasing the deadly Nemesis to eliminate surviving STARS members in Raccoon City.
FiLmCrAzY
September 9, 2007
i loved it i loved it more than the first one and was really keen to watch the third one!
relly good and exciting and interesting and action packed with great makeup for the zombies really really good!
February 20, 2007
A technical exercise.
July 23, 2007
Resident Evil: Apocalypse is pretty damn bad. Some of the action was pretty decent but the direction was godawful, especially with the slow motion blurry effect shit going on. Milla Jovovich was nice to look at and Jill Valentine was smoking, but the 15 minutes that went on after the movie should've ended were an itch you couldn't scratch. I don't know if this was a good video game movie or an bad zombie movie.
October 12, 2008
Less plot, more action. Jovovich has some kind of super-human powers and is teamed up with a military dude, some feisty sexy lady cop, a little kid and a quick witted black guy. As a B movie it is quite entertaining as long as you can overcome the absurdity. There's some giant monster called nemesis who has a big gun and stalks our heroes. He is of course controlled by eeeeeeeeeeeevil scientists. They don't care about human life, even when the disastrous effects could end the world. Just play Resident Evil 4 as you find more plot, more character development and more action YOU can control in a single hour than this never ending explosion. Even the CGI is less realistic and the stunt work less choreographed in this cash-in.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ October 14, 2007
So, Alice now has mental powers by the end of this one. I'm guessing that in part 3 she can fly and go back in time.

Further proof of how shitty this movie is, how the fuck did Alice knew that lickers were attacking people in the church? How did she knew were exactly to land her bike? Seriously, you might as well poke your nose with a pencil until you reach as deep as posible, and it will still do less damage to your brain than watching this.
½ March 2, 2008