Set Visit: Resident Evil: Extinction!

RT visits Mexico for Milla Jovovich, zombies, and all the spoilers you can handle.

It was a midsummer day in 2006 that Rotten Tomatoes got the call to drop in on production on Resident Evil: Extinction, and what a tantalizing invite that was. Based on our day on set, the third part of the hugely successful, if critically ravaged Resident Evil series looks to once again capture its core audience, fans of the original Capcom video game hungry for the same all-out action and gore that infused the first two films. The addition of a few new castmembers and a beautifully desolate setting (post-apocalyptic Las Vegas) further promise a jumpstart to the RE franchise under director Russell Mulcahy. Plus, who doesn't want to see Milla Jovovich strap on the guns one more time?

Mexico City in the summer is brutally hot, but just imagine what it's like in the desert. Thankfully, we had been invited to visit the set of Resident Evil: Extinction right after filming moved from the arid expanses of Mexicali's desert into the big city complex of Churubusco Studios. Good thing, too, because our group of web journalists might have melted in 128 degree heat.

Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil: Extinction

In our air-conditioned comfort we received a warm welcome from RE3 helmer Russell Mulcahy, the Australian director (his Video Killed the Radio Star launched MTV into pop culture history) perhaps known best for his 1986 fantasy spectacle, Highlander. "I hear you're going to do some interviews today," he said as we entered a busy soundstage. After a moment's pleasantries, he was off to finish a scene.

The production had already completed filming of sequences in the desert heat -- zombie scenes, an extensive undead crow attack, and Jovovich performing wire-work stunts while brandishing Alice's Khukuri knives -- but we hung with the crew as they took it down a notch. We watched as they filmed a caravan scene on a soundstage. Sitting inside an army-green truck perched atop jacks, Jovovich, Oded Fehr, and newcomer Spencer Locke (who plays teenage survivor K-Mart) filmed an interior dialogue scene as a crewmember provided the occasional road-bump jiggle. The exterior window shots would later be filled in via CG with scenes of the Mexican desert, substituting for a ravaged and desolate Las Vegas. Mulcahy quieted his rambunctious actors with a "You're in the moment!" and filmed a hushed conversation between Alice and Carlos.

Comments

jeremyd4

jeremy d

I just can't get excited about this film... it has nothing to do with Resident Evil anymore! The games were called "Resident" for a reason - the whole saga started out in a huge, mysterious mansion full of secrets and the undead. The series should be about creaking floor boards, deserted inner city buildings, swamps, graveyards, underground labs... not some Mad Max apocalyptic tale set in the desert, with the heroine having superpowers!!!

I always felt the games felt like watching an episode of "LOST" only much darker with zombies. Those who've played the games should hopefully see the similarities between these two franchises. They have so much in common in terms of the way their stories unravel.

Aug 8 - 11:24 PM

Jakal619

Jay Bee

Thats because they stole their Ideas for the movie from a script i sent them about an alien invasion. It had nothing to do with resident evil but they took the main ideas and made it into a movie.

Oct 8 - 09:53 PM

timmy_1411

Tim Wright

damn you can tell the people who make these movies do not play the game...Albert Wexler?? It's Wesker dip****s.

Aug 8 - 11:53 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Thanks, Timmy. That was my bad. Transcribing a British (I believe) accent proved too much for my feeble American ears. (Hi, Joe!)

Aug 9 - 11:39 AM

timmy_1411

Tim Wright

No problem. Well I am glad it was you who got it wrong and not the makers of the movie. I thought it was them who didn't get the right name of the character.

Aug 9 - 04:49 PM

Canuck666

suzie smith

The fact this movie was made proves there is no God. I would rather be given a battery acid enema then watch this. Tomatometer prediction: 02% - because there is always that one guy(or girl) who will claim he likes it just to be different. *gives the evil eye to Michelle Alexandria, the sole reason "Alone in the Dark" doesn't have a 0% Tomatometer*

Aug 9 - 02:59 AM

FcPoliFan

Stefan C.

I have to agree, as a big Resident Evil fan, I've always been dismayed by what they've done to the films. It's just not fair! Why could they not just hang to the game storylines, because however silly they were, they were still better than what we got.

Screw Capcom for ever allowing Paul WideScreen Anderson to rewrite the games in such a hideous manner. The only thing in common between games and films is the name. Such a waste.

Aug 9 - 05:11 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

god you guys whine like little comic book nerds. you know why they don't SIMPLIFY the series and make it EXACTLY like the game?? because that limits the audience, it limits the ideas they can use as well. you idiots always whine about how the movie isn't EXACTLY like the game but guess what?? GAME movies suck! look at Doom, it tried to be EXACTLY like the game and it was garbage. if you are a fan of the game and not the movie...then guess what? keep playing the game and shutup. the system they have in place OBVIOUSLY works because the movie is profitable. its simplistic as h3ll even without the game lines...shoot this, run...shoot that...but its about the best video game movie i've seen. that doesn't say much but, at least its somewhat entertaining. if thats because they've STAYED AWAY from the game plotlines...fine. but would you rather see a decent movie(they're not great) or a crap movie thats based EXACTLY on your wittle game? if they did it YOUR way, i bet they would have only made one and it wouldn't have made anything.

Aug 9 - 05:51 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Wow, you're comparing a game like doom, with the only storyline is that hell is loose on mars.... To Resident Evil, which even with its shoddy gameplay for over 11 years (which was saved by Resident Evil 4), was only kept alive for its solid storylines. People were in it for the story, to get the crap scared out of them... And shoot some zombies.

But comparing Doom to RE is like comparing Pong to Final Fantasy.

Aug 9 - 06:13 AM

pulgasari

Jeffrey Carey

Apparently you forget that Doom bombed with fans of the game because it [b]wasn't[/b] like the games. They replaced the "demons from Hell" plotline with a contrived "mutant virus", essentially making the film "Resident Evil in space". Why? How would it have made the film any better? I know the game didn't exactly have much plot (or any, for that matter), but weren't there, like, four Doom novels written? Why not adapt those into movies?

Aug 13 - 05:48 PM

Typhoon20

Tyrone Jackson

Any action movie, especially great ones like these, are ruined to start with the fact they have a female lead, call me a sexist or whatever but I can't take a movie serious, especially action movies where females have the lead. Maybe that's just me.

Aug 9 - 06:00 AM

southwick

jonathan edwards

Guess Typhoon as never watched the Alien series.

Aug 9 - 10:41 AM

alsanali

Alsan Ali

Typhoon20 hasn't seen Aliens, has he?

Aug 9 - 12:34 PM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

But comparing Doom to RE is like comparing Pong to Final Fantasy.

Aug 9 - 06:13 AM

HeisLegend1231

Jordan Bartlett

I may be the only one, but I'm actually looking forward to this movie. No I'm not expecting it to be a great movie, but it will more than likely be an enjoyable experience. The first two were decent no thinking involved action flicks, and from the previews this one looks to be an improvement on the series.

Aug 9 - 06:39 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

defmonk...are we talking about a game or a movie?? i BELIEVE this is about a movie, IS IT NOT??? if you liked the story of the game...fine...play the game. but this is not a game, it is a movie.

pong was a classic and i think EVERYBODY thats older thats in their 20's on up has played pong. FF...not so much. but i see what you're saying. i'm simply saying you cannot profit from a movie when its EXACTLY like the game unless you get like...Peter Jackson or some guy who's a FREAK about the game and is good at making movies...direct/write and probably star. there's too much to accomplish. they took the name, a simple shoot em up concept...and rolled with it. when you try to do too much...you end up with cluttered garbage. which is what most video game movies end up being

Aug 9 - 07:08 AM

mickb

mick brogden

can anybody outthere tell me which movie made game has stuck to the original story till now ive seen them all maybe the best being doom, im a total resident evil fan the game are great(the original is still the best),and i watch the movies cos there fun not because they stick to the games

Aug 9 - 07:51 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

That answer is Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children. Its still a movie based off a game *crosses arms and grunts* Not really a FF7 fan, thats probably the best game to movie though.

And Gimy, is it wrong to be a freak? Peter Jackson wants perfection. There's nothing wrong with that.

But to take the name Resident Evil and take it totally south and have no ties to the game at all, except that zombies are festering and killing all humans and turning them. We had to wait till the 2nd movie for an ORIGINAL lead character from the games (Jill Valentine) and she had a bit part and wasn't being chased by Nemesis. Its all about this super human anorexic chick named Alice who has no ties to the games whatsoever and she's humanities last hope because she's super human, instead of leading humanities last hope to non-chemically altered people to try and save the world.... Or get the hell out of dodge.

I'm really just disappointed in this film. When I first heard they were gonna make it, I was excited, then they were in the mansion for like 5 minutes and then in this huge hive that is miles underground the mansion.

I just hope after Extinction comes and goes, that they'll wait a few years, then try and do a true blue reboot and make a adaptation to the game to truly call it an adaptation.

Because, if you have the Original RE for the PS1, pop that sucker in and you'll go "What the hell?!! These controls suck and the graphics are horrible, why did I play this?" Because of the story.

Aug 9 - 12:31 PM

Puzzledman

Vic puzzledman

All the movies were a Sh*t and not because of the games. It really annoys me when they get some Dumb Actor or actress who think they know Kung fu just because they can do the splits, Strap'em to a wire rig and have them float about kicking people in the head. I blame the Matrix for this but at least it kind of fit with the plot in that film. For the worst wire work ever in an american film look no further than Seagal in Exit wounds.

Aug 9 - 09:45 AM

Product_of_You

Steven Edwards

you should know better than to watch exit wounds in the first place

Aug 9 - 10:05 AM

southwick

jonathan edwards

Guess Typhoon as never watched the Alien series.

Aug 9 - 10:41 AM

chazbow

Chuck O'Leary

I have some hope for this since Russell Mulcahy can be an entertaining director as "Razorback," "Highlander" and "Ricochet" proved. Even "The Shadow" had its moments.

Aug 9 - 10:42 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Aug 9 - 11:39 AM

timmy_1411

Tim Wright

Aug 9 - 04:49 PM

andretti #1

Ryan Schroeder

whoo hoo... i'm on opening day. I know they aren't the best films but for some reason I really enjoyed the first two.

Aug 9 - 12:12 PM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Aug 9 - 12:31 PM

alsanali

Alsan Ali

Typhoon20 hasn't seen Aliens, has he?

Aug 9 - 12:34 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Extinction really does look different from the first two films, as you can tell from the trailers. I'm rather impressed with Mulcahy's visual style and how expansive and beautiful the sets look. Just having the film take place in daylight and in a desert setting (instead of nighttime in Raccoon City) makes me want to see it. Plus, I have to watch Milla Jovovich in just about anything. I'm excited.

Aug 9 - 03:18 PM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

I'm really glad you just picked out another thorn in my side, Jen. Because when I seen that they were gonna be in the desert (Just like how RE5 is) and be daylight so you basically couldn't hide in the shadows, it kinda irked me off a bit, and plus Chris Redfield isn't in the story and his sister is.

Maybe the 3rd one will be a bit better then the last 2, the first pissed me off, the second I was disappointed maybe the third will let me think that it was decent.

And I'm really bored of Milla, she hasn't been good since the 5th Element. I can't believe I went and seen Ultraviolet. I felt like I was in Mystery Science Theater 3000 at that movie.

Aug 10 - 12:46 AM

pulgasari

Jeffrey Carey

Yeah, well... Paul We Suck Anderson tried to emulate the "post-apocalyptic desert" setting of Mad Max and a dozen other sci-fi flicks, apparently forgetting that the reason why those films have such landscapes is because a nuclear war occurred, causing a nuclear winter. In Resident Evil: Extinction, the Apocalypse is caused by a viral outbreak. Tell me, Paul, how exactly does a [b]virus[/b] cover Las Vegas with dust? And what is the [b]Statue of freakin' Liberty[/b] doing in Vegas, for that matter? Man, even if the movie doesn't suck quite as much as I think it will, good luck explaining those logistical loopholes.

Aug 13 - 06:02 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

And personally, I don't need a movie adaptation to stick super faithfully to its source to be enjoyable. It's more of a jumping off point, and I think it works in many cases...think of the James Bond films. How many of those were as faithful to their respective source novels as some people think Resident Evil should be? Maybe that's not the best example of my point. I suppose I'm courting controversy with that argument...

Aug 9 - 03:32 PM

pulgasari

Jeffrey Carey

"How many [James Bond films] were as faithful to their source material as some people think Resident Evil should be?"
*coughcoughCasinoRoyalecoughcough*

Aug 13 - 05:52 PM

pulgasari

Jeffrey Carey

*coughcoughCasinoRoyalecoughcough*

Aug 13 - 05:54 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast