Milla Jovovich On Resident Evil And Her Ultraviolet Beef

Our set interview with today's ultimate female action star.

Meeting Milla Jovovich was the highlight of RT's visit to the set of Resident Evil: Extinction, and not just because the impish actress is as energetic as a live wire. She also spilled tons of info about her character Alice and story points from the upcoming sequel, and spoke candidly about her disappointing experience making last year's Ultraviolet. Read on!

Although her filmography reflects a career of carefully chosen roles -- Joan of Arc was a noble gamble, surely not a safe choice as far as Hollywood actresses go -- Jovovich seems content with, and energized by, the niche of tough, sexy, and tormented action heroines she's fallen into of late.

Milla Jovovich in The Fifth Element

Consider the trajectory of Milla Jovovich's career to date. From inauspicious beginnings in the multiple Golden Raspberry-nominated Return to the Blue Lagoon (her first big starring role, as one of two castaway kids growing up on an island), Jovovich has built a career of dabbling in movies large and small, in period dramas (Chaplin), quirky indies (Dummy) and cult classics (Dazed and Confused) alike. But it was 1997's The Fifth Element, Luc Besson's celebrated science fiction cult classic, that gave us our first glimpse of Jovovich's potential as an action heroine; who could forget her alien superwoman Leeloo, guns blazing and karate chopping all over the galaxy in an outfit of strategically-placed medical bandages designed by Jean-Paul Gaultier? With her delicate looks, steely gaze, and the rare ability to make all-out action and weapons handling by a dramatic actor actually believable, it seemed only natural then that Jovovich assume the mantle of the foremost female ass-kicker in the movies; once Paul W.S. Anderson adapted Capcom's Resident Evil game into the profitable first film in the series, Jovovich's place in action cinema was cemented.

With her third turn as the zombie-battling T-Virus survivor Alice approaching (Resident Evil: Extinction hits theaters September 21), Jovovich takes obvious comfort in the role for which she has twice before leveled a lethal combination of guns, fists, and feet at countless undead humans, Dobermans, and superhuman enemies. Her Alice, clad this time in a getup of army surplus shorts and a sun-beaten duster, wielding traditional Nepalese Khukuri knives and pistols holstered at her thighs, cuts a cross-cultural iconic figure in the barren desert wasteland of future Las Vegas that, not coincidentally, calls to mind the loner gunslinger heroes of the Wild West. Thus, she takes a bit of inspiration from some of the greatest cowboy toughs to ever grace the screen. "I would like to say [I'm playing] more of a Clint Eastwood than a [Charles] Bronson," Jovovich told us during roundtable interviews on Extinction's Mexico City set. "I've been trying to play it just as natural as I can possibly make this scenario."

Jovovich as Alice in Resident Evil: Extinction

In Resident Evil: Extinction, Jovovich's Alice is once again the only hope of a dwindling population of humans who are now being hunted by legions of the bloodthirsty undead. Like the typical antihero of a Western, Alice is compelled to defend the lives of innocents, all the while being hunted by the sinister scientists of the Umbrella Corporation, who are cloning her in hopes of harnessing her growing superpowers. More so than in the previous two films, Alice is becoming a leader and protector of the uninfected, though by now the prospects of the survivors are far bleaker than they were when we first saw Alice wandering through the Umbrella Corp.'s underground Hive laboratories. "All three movies are 360 degrees from each other, which is great -- different looks, different characters," Jovovich said. "I think more than anything, you have [Alice] really kind of innocent in the first movie, and now she's more hard, and more sad, and a little bit more...not defeated, but this is life; there is no future for her."

In Extinction, Alice joins a small band of survivors crossing the Las Vegas desert, where she meets up with Resident Evil: Apocalypse buddies Carlos (Oded Fehr) and L.J. (Mike Epps). Before they head to a rumored safe haven in Alaska, they'll have to contend with a Hitchcockian horde of undead crows -- good thing Alice's exposure to the T-Virus has endowed her with all new skills. "Well, she gets very?psychic thingies," Jovovich excitedly shared. "A little Carrie-ish -- I'm trying not to do the Carrie thing obviously, trying to do my own little thing. But yeah, she bursts everything into flames and stuff. It's really cool! It's great for me because I didn't have to do so many stunt sequences! It's more like, she bursts things into flames, so it's really useful against the birds and things. There's a lot of them everywhere -- just (gestures) poof!"

Comments

Squaregeiz

Clayton Chan

Um...I do not think that means what you think it does, Milla...

Aug 13 - 09:23 PM

Threewings

Aaron Bryant

Haha Squaregeize, that IS hilarious!

Aug 13 - 10:31 PM

Scarborough Fair

Kyle Beaudette

Funny, I'd always just assumed she didn't care about the pieces of crap she was making. Turns out she loves her crap deeply.
Maybe I should love it.

Aug 13 - 09:27 PM

Atomix

Joe Labar

She's looking quite mannish in her old age. None of the shots of her from Extinction make her look girl or attractive in the least.

Shame.

She use to be such a hottie. From "The Man Who Fell" to... well...

As a RE fan I dislike the Alice character and I think that's turned me against her as an actress. Or maybe I'm a schmuck.

Aug 13 - 09:34 PM

TonyDHelms29624

Tony Helms

"She's looking quite mannish in her old age...."

Old age? She's only 31.

Aug 13 - 10:13 PM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

I don't know, man. I'm looking at those abs and I'm thinking she's not looking too shabby. Mannish or not - whatever - I'm a fan. :)

Aug 13 - 10:03 PM

TonyDHelms29624

Tony Helms

"She's looking quite mannish in her old age...."

Old age? She's only 31.

Aug 13 - 10:13 PM

Threewings

Aaron Bryant

Haha Squaregeize, that IS hilarious!

Aug 13 - 10:31 PM

Goosemagnetic

Mike Gainer

I adore her. She sounds like a terrific actress to work with. I think she should ditch some of these crappy directors and be in with the bigger game because shes that cool and that good.

Aug 13 - 11:05 PM

Bardego

Robert Hamer

Kurt Wimmer a cad? After two eurotrash techo-thriller pieces of crap, that's not too hard to believe.

Aug 13 - 11:35 PM

Remy Overkempe

Remy Overkempe

Eurotrash.... We make higher quality movies here than over in the US, thank you.

And I think "Extinction" will definitely be the best of the series. The first one was okay, but lacked the dialogue to support everything, and "Apocalypse" obviously lacked the believability. Hope "Extinction" turns out to be more than just a zombie-slaying movie. (And Milla is the best!)

Aug 14 - 04:26 AM

Remy Overkempe

Remy Overkempe

Aug 14 - 04:26 AM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

I kind of like Milla now. It's kind of reassuring that she actually cares about the movies she stars in and isn't just in it for a quick paycheck. Of course, Ultraviolet was pretty awful, but at least she acknowledges that (if only slightly, she doesn't come right out and say how terrible it was). I hope Extinction is decent.

Aug 14 - 04:56 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

squaredude, i think she was using sarcasm. or maybe she used a jessica simpson-ism, who knows. or maybe she outsmarted you and used a superman type reference, in which o' boy spins and changes outfits in a snap. who knows...who cares...

i'm waiting for the 5th element sequel. its bound to happen...

Aug 14 - 05:37 AM

bamb0o-stick

Jonathan Y

There IS a sequel being planned for The 5th Element I believe. Its going to be named The 6th Element (seriously). You might be able to look it up on RT somewhere in the News section...

As for my take on Milla, I believe she's a very hard working actress. She likes playing strong female roles which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I recall last year a lot of the strong female protagonist movies didn't do well at the box office (i.e. Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux). Then again, maybe its because they all stunk, who knows. Milla just needs to pick her roles better. The Messenger wasn't terrible, but her acting was top-notch. She just needs a good director to pick her up.

Aug 14 - 06:32 AM

Silver Snake

Leon Soma

I still really feel that these movies should have been closer to the games. I still don't understand why Milla couldn't have just played Jill Valentine instead of this "Alice" person that nobody cares about or why the creepy atmosphere of the early games was abandoned in favor of making these action movies. But, whatever. Supposedly, this is going to be the last film in the franchise. And then we can wait 10, maybe 15 years down the road and get the series remade. Hopefully, Paul W.S. Anderson will have been hit by a bus by then, and Milla will be crapping herself in a nursing home somewhere.

Aug 14 - 05:42 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

as much as i'd like to see a series of RE movies that are ACTUALLY ABOUT THE GAMES THEMSELVES, sadly i don't think the RE series will get the Batman Begins reboot treatment 10-15 years down the line (and that seems to be the whiny message board ranter's answer to everything these days, "if the series is going in a direction i personally don't like, they MUST reboot it like they did with Batman Begins"). while the RE films were mildly successful, they were not massive blockbuster hits. plus, characters like Batman and James Bond are world-reknown and timeless, that's why their movie franchises can be rebooted the way they were. the Resident Evil series has nowhere near the worldwide recognition, so the possibility of a RE reboot being quite as profitable a decade or so from now is highly unlikely.

Aug 14 - 05:01 PM

Silver Snake

Leon Soma

Well, you can say that, but with what we've seen lately in terms of remakes and sequels and such, I don't think anything is out of the realm of possibility. The Resident Evil films have been at least moderately successful from what I can tell. The film franchise may not be as successful or world renowned as Bond or Batman, but it does have a built-in fanbase and it did make money.

As it is, I won't be seeing RE: Extinction. Although it does look inspired, I've had enough of Alice's grandstanding and badly delivered lines. I'm not holding out hope for Silent Hill 2, either, even though Gans and Avary are gone.

Aug 15 - 05:51 AM

MovieRator

Movie Scoring

hahah im with Silver Snake. Im not gonna see re exSTINKtion untill it hits public tv. Ill wait for Silent Hill 2 at least they are pretty close to the original game series. And milla does look like a man. she always has so that no real shocker ppl are starting to notice.

Aug 30 - 01:35 PM

bamb0o-stick

Jonathan Y

Aug 14 - 06:32 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

In favor for a series remake in 10 years as well.

It would of been better if she was Jill.

Then have Leon Kennedy in the 2nd and Chris Redfield in the 3rd. Or something like that.

Aug 14 - 06:53 AM

digitalsoul68

Bevan Calo

Mila is a b-movie action star with potential. It's a shame she doesn't get more quality roles. I enjoyed her acting in The Messenger and she was gorgeous in The Fifth Element. As for being unattractive at her "old" (???) age, I have to disagree.

Aug 14 - 07:10 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Old Age? Have you thought that perhaps the "mannish" thing has more to do with the makeup artists than Milla?

Glad to see that she admits that Ultraviolet was a disappointment. I'm curious as to how it would have been if she had more input. I suspect at least her performence would have been more fulfilling, but I doubt that could have saved the film.

Aug 14 - 07:40 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

I thought the first Resident Evil was significantly under-rated, as is the director Paul W.S. Anderson. The second film was absolute crap, from an incapable director. I have more faith in this third film, upon hearing that Mulcaly is directing and its going for a different look. However, why do they move so far away from the source material? The video games are as successful for the storylines and characters as for the action.

Maybe this third film has some hope, I will watch with a relatively open mind.

Aug 14 - 09:17 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Video game movies are ****, they have always been **** and they will continue to be ****.

Aug 14 - 09:34 AM

gojirazilla

marc faulhammer

god i hate these stupid pointless hollywood flicks SEPTEMBER is the month for summer rejects want to see a great zombie movie DIARY OF THE DEAD GEORGE A ROMERO i really wish they would stop with video game movies makes america look dumb

Aug 14 - 10:34 AM

lamer

Nathaniel Bowman

Agreed...mostly. Hopefully, Halo will be good, since it is produced by Peter Jackson. Then again, Transformers was produced by Steven Speilberg and...from what I heard, it didn't turn out well.

Aug 14 - 08:13 PM

liono86

william ward

I very much enjoy the Resident Evil films. To me, the first one was more of a horror, the second one was more of an action, and, this one seems like it's going to be an equal mixture of both, so, I'm super excited about Extinction.

Aug 14 - 10:10 AM

gojirazilla

marc faulhammer

Aug 14 - 10:34 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships