Critic Review - Toronto Star

It's all the same blah-blah carnage as the first four flicks, with 3D effects hurling blood, blades and body parts into the audience amid a non-stop barrage of gunfire and explosions.

September 13, 2012 Full Review Source: Toronto Star | Comments (35)
Toronto Star
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Ed D.

Ed Donaldson

sounds like my kinda movie, I do like watching Milla kick butt but i'd rather watch Leatherface make a couple barbecue platters.

Sep 13 - 05:09 AM

Scappy D.

Scappy Doo

So basically it's exactly what fans of the last four wanted.

Sep 13 - 05:16 AM

Matt Lane

Matt Lane

wow these movies are terrible. will probably get beat by the 3d rerelease of finding nemo, and that should cement this series for good. then hopefully someone with talent can reboot it, because the games deserve a great movie, not this dreck.

Sep 15 - 08:10 AM

The Reaper

Iron Will

And this is bad why?

Sep 13 - 05:27 AM

Eldest2005

Christopher Aull

Becuase this is the fifth time that they're pretty much doing the same thing. It's just Milla Jovovich and some other actors fighting against zombies. And video game adaptations are usually not very good. Only that this one went on for a fifth movie. It's the milking of a franchise that's run its course.

Sep 13 - 07:34 AM

Eric Bylenok

Eric Bylenok

Just a question, what are your thoughts on the making of 3 movies to tell the story of the Hobbit?

Sep 13 - 09:31 AM

Eldest2005

Christopher Aull

Although it looks like a cash grab, I trust Peter Jackson with all three of the Hobbit movies and I eagerly await each movie.

Sep 13 - 09:41 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

I know this wasn't directed at me, but there's a difference:

-The Hobbit is one long story that doesn't finish in the first movie. In fact, Jackson noticed that two films would be rushing the entire story, so he made it into three so it would capture as much about the book as he could.

Resident Evil was made to be one movie. It was successful financially so another was made. And another. And another. And...

That's the difference. The goals of the sequels are different. One is to extend the story into parts instead of releasing one big nine hour film, and the other was to make more money.

Sep 14 - 08:06 AM

Norman Dostal

Norman Dostal

Andreas-dont be so naive. The Hobbit could easily be one movie (and it was a good one when animated years ago)-two movies is giving credit and time to unfold the story-three movies is clearly a cash grab.

Sep 14 - 11:10 AM

Tevi Supangat

Tevi Supangat

I think the fifth is worse than the others four.. It is cool, but the fighting choreography is not smooth. The best thing is Ada, but unfortunately Leon is below my expectation.. Anyway, I'm still waiting for the next sequel hehe..

Sep 13 - 08:06 AM

todd123

Todd Garry

I can't believe people would spend money on this movie.

Sep 13 - 09:17 AM

James Everitt

James Everitt

Looks great. It is obviously a fan made movie, so if you`re not a fan... Don`t watch it. :)

Sep 13 - 09:24 AM

Eric Bylenok

Eric Bylenok

I know this review was supposed to be a negative one, but you just cemented my going to see this on Friday. Thanks!~

Sep 13 - 09:30 AM

Lisa Kocsis

Lisa Kocsis

Wow, I was on the fence but this review really cemented things for me. Thanks Linda, sounds awesome!

Sep 13 - 10:12 AM

Michael Zufelt

Michael Zufelt

sold.

Sep 13 - 10:22 AM

Zach Gellman

Zach Gellman

Well sometimes more of the same isnt necessarily a bad thing, but if you take it at face value and enjoy it for what its worth its definately a better movie to watch than most of the garbage they put on the screens these days. You cant go wrong with zombies, gore and women lol

Sep 13 - 10:40 AM

Dave Sandford

Dave Sandford

"He stuffs 100 pounds of gore into a five-pound sack and keeps jamming it in."
sounds good to me!

Sep 13 - 10:51 AM

Filipe Sampaio

Filipe Sampaio

and that's bad because...

Sep 13 - 11:29 AM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

Let's just hope this is the last film in the series. Don't get me wrong, I like Resident Evil as much as the next guy, but it seems like the franchise has run its course.

Sep 13 - 12:32 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

It ran its course after the first one. Don't get me wrong I am all about turning off my brian and watching some mindless fun but these movies are not even that.

Sep 13 - 01:06 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

brain*

Sep 13 - 02:09 PM

Steve Spiker

Steve Spiker

I can't believe they have made five crappy movie and not once though about doing a reboot....

Sep 13 - 01:31 PM

Jake Hogan

Jake Hogan

Agreed Spiker.

Sep 13 - 02:13 PM

Dorian Whitney

Dorian Whitney

Why this series just didn't get rebooted, I don't know. If it was like the video games it could be awesome. I would love to see a great adaptation of the first Resident Evil game and maybe resident evil 4.

Sep 13 - 04:34 PM

Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith

You make this sound like a bad thing.

Sep 13 - 05:03 PM

This comment has been removed.

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Pre-Land of the Dead, you mean. Ever since Romero came back, the ..of the Dead saga has been horrendous. I actually prefer the RE movies to those. At least they are stupidly entertaining, and not just stupidly mind-numbing.

Sep 13 - 09:25 PM

loogenhausen

Nathan Ludwig

I think you need a bullet for looking like a sunglassed douche. You're indoors, dummy.

Sep 14 - 12:20 AM

Rafael Quintanilha

Rafael Quintanilha

this is bound to be another horrible movie i watch a few times. i just love milla

Sep 13 - 11:58 PM