97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Resistance Reviews

July 16, 2013
Although cold, benefits from underlying the nazis beyond the obvious stereotypes and also from Riseborough's, Morgan's and Wlaschiha's superb acting
March 28, 2013
Dreadful. The only "resistance" was from my eyes trying to tear themselves away from the screen.
April 15, 2012
Very boring - the whole point of the escapes me ;(
April 11, 2012
Resistance - TRASH IT (C-)
Based upon the famous British novel of the same name, Resistance is about a group of women in an isolated Welsh village wake up to discover all of the their husbands have mysteriously vanished in 1944. Then the German occupiers arrive in the village and they all now facing a harsh winter, the women and soldiers find they must cooperate with one another to survive. The story of the movie is really interesting and it gives room for lots of great performances and moments but sadly director took the easy way out and wasted 92 minutes on nothing but mere people walking and talking in the winter.
I would have loved to see the director push the envelope by engaging German soldiers into these women lives more intimately than just helpers. That would have given the movie more raw and harsh look as what people actually have to go through to survive in the war. Andrea Riseborough is utterly boring and Tom Wlaschiha couldn't do much in it. Iwan Rheon, Kimberley Nixon and Stanislav Ianevski were alright. Michael Sheen is wasted.
Overall, Resistance starts on slow note and ends on even more slower note. Bad direction and screenplay tank a potentially good war script.
March 21, 2012
Just when you think this film is going to bound along it stops, looks around sniffs the flowers and starts again,time and time again .
November 26, 2011
Well acted with sumptuous locations but lacked the background story the book provides for you to truly appreciate and understand it.
ernest e.
November 26, 2011
Pure silly fantasy story of what I figured the secret in 40 minutes because it was so clear and obvious to me and other reasons but it was a good idea.
Well made well done but only england can make a joke of real german invasion.
No need to start moaning over the details and stupidity's of real german war because this is only made for fantasy cinema entertainment.
The part of a perfect loving marriage fantasy was worse than the idea that germany would have won the war in england.
David G.
November 26, 2011
There's one word describes this film: 'grim'. It starts with an out of focus and indistinct group of people climbing a hill. Although we never see their faces, we are meant to understand that these are the men from a remote welsh village who have abandoned their womenfolk to join the resistance in a war-torn Britain that has retreated following a D-Day disaster, and has been successfully invaded by Nazi Germany. We catch progress of the invasion in passing through radio broadcasts: London, Birmingham and Manchester have fallen, but it is still a shock when a uniformed German captain barges his way through the farmhouse door of Sarah, a 27 year old farmer's wife, who spends the film pining for her husband Tom. The single German unit is on a mission to find an ancient map, an artefact wanted by Goering as a way of justifying the actions of the Nazis. Captain Albrecht has his men look for this map, and coincidentally, and inexplicably, the Captain manages to find it himself, hidden within a cave in a hillside. Instead of informing his superiors, he denies having found it to his men, so that he and they can remain in the village and see out the war. Thereafter, we see snatches of life in the village. The women manage the farm work themselves and give each other encouragement. Eventually the really bad weather arrives and we see Sarah trying to rescue sheep caught in a drift, struggling until she is eventually helped by the Germans. What we are supposed to see then is the gradual softening of relations between the women and the German menfolk until eventually Sarah and Captain Albrecht fall in love. But here is where the low budget plays a part. Despite the beautiful countryside, the film has a constrained feeling. Much of it is concentrated in and around a couple of farmhouses. We do see an agricultural show, but this is a very understated affair, and I think I only saw one swastika throughout the entire movie. It's as if the camera is kept to no more than medium shot because there wasn't enough money to dress the set. Maybe this is in keeping with the hemmed-in feeling we are supposed to get from the women being barred from leaving the village, but it nevertheless feels artificial. Likewise, not much budget was left over for music, so the main soundtrack when no-one is speaking (which is a lot of the time) is the howling wind. A sub-plot is the son of a neighbouring farmer who is shown spying on the Germans through a sniper sight, and who we saw being schooled in guerrilla warfare by an unlikely Martin Sheen. This is designed to bring up the question of when collaboration with the enemy is acceptable, but it feels crudely tacked on to the storyline. A nice touch is that the Germans speak in German - with subtitles which are accurate(!) - but too much is left to the audience to work out. Much of the film is filled with silences where the actors are obliged to speak volumes just by gazing stoically into the distance. It is never explained, for instance, why the menfolk leave at the crack of dawn without a word to their loved ones; there is also a scene towards the beginning where the incoming German unit finds and executes some British resistance, and it is quite probable that these are the very men from the village, but again this is never made clear. Even the ending is confused, leaving this reviewer thinking that the characters had far more plausible choices at their disposal. The film is unremitting in its misery, and ultimately, not much happens. All in all, a small, confused film, suffering from a lack of budget and ultimately wasting the undoubted talents of its cast.
September 23, 2011
At a sold-out UK premiere, the alternate history premise of a German-invaded Britain in 1944 is powerfully evoked in a clash between two cultures, female versus male, Welsh against German. Two outstanding performances from Riseborough and Wlaschiha represent the pre-industrial Welsh hinterland and the encroaching menace of the German forces, with the gradual thawing between the two sides hiding the true resistance at the heart of both leads. The ending is not what might be expected from the subject matter, and Gupta's debut feature directing shows some deft moves with room for improvement in his elegant and spare style. All in all, a beautiful and layered film that hits just the right dramatic buttons. Recommended. [Cambridge Film Festival, Tuesday 20.09.11]