20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis Reviews

Phil H

May 22, 2011
Necropolis...a great name for film title but I'm afraid the franchise has lost its impetus with this next installation. Again naughty people are trying to use the deadly toxic gas to reanimate the dead and use for military weapons but once again it all goes wrong and the undead run amok...oh geez.

We are now firmly in B-movie land with this one, the acting is quite terrible from all members including Peter Coyote and the plot is just a rehash against a different backdrop. The only thing going for this is the well done makeup effects which is just as good as the previous films and makes the film better than it deserves to be.

These films are all about the cool hands on makeup effects lets be honest, and they all deliver consistently. This is the one thing these sequels manage to pull off despite the fact they rehash everything else. In that aspect they just about hold your attention if you're a monster/gore lover but the rest is usually pants.

Nice idea and design for the undead Terminator style soldiers, a small plus point in a sinking film. One has to ask ones self how many more of these can they do? they are clearly trying to utilize every possible backdrop for the zombie outbreaks, I guess a desert setting will be next, haven't seen that yet.
Dann M

October 29, 2013
Complete and utter garbage, Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis is generic horror tripe. The story is idiotic, there's not a decent performance among the cast, and the production values are awful. It's pretty clear that the film is using the title "Return of the Living Dead" in name only, as it doesn't follow the style or continuity of the series. The zombie action isn't that bad, but the story is so pointless that it doesn't really matter. Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis just screams low-budget horror, and on that count it doesn't disappoint.
Donna D

September 21, 2008
This one was pretty interesting. The zombies were faster and more scarier in this horror flick.
June 12, 2007
I will give them credit for have a few references to the films from he beginning. I will also give them credit for making cool zombies. I will then give one more piece of credit to the fact that they referenced an old joke from the first movie. But that is it. Other than that, the movie was not that good. The first half of the film was just boring with bad dialog. The second half had the action and it was decent. The story made sense, but was not really focused on in the movie. One thing that really made me mad as a person who loves zombies. The zombies in this film could be killed by getting shot in the chest. That ruins the whole thing. Now they did have different type of zombies. Ones that were bitten were really smart, could even talk if they were only bitten a little. Then you have stupid zombies. Then there is another type of zombie that does not make sense at all, but you will have to watch the movie to see them. The cast was half and half. Some could act, others needed to die sooner in the film. I love the Return of the Living Dead movies and this one was not a good add on to the others.
toonami2280
January 5, 2008
a good movie.i didn't like the fact that they made the zombies so easy to kill when in the first 3 they were unkillable but it was still a good movie.
mistressoftheundead
February 15, 2008
The worst zombie movie ever made. The characters were dumb zombies even dumber. I wasted 2.50 on this peice of crap. The only good thing about this movie is the soundtrack. Storyline really sucked. I do not recommend this movie. George Romero had nothing to do with this movie s hame on the plot synopsis.
oriongal23
November 27, 2007
loved this back then because it scared me stupid...but now its like i can watch it and nothing happens. lol
Greyraven23
August 13, 2007
So let me get this straight.... in Russia... when a Russian becomes a zombie... he will still ask for "Brains" in English? Not that I expected much from this movie, but I did expect a little more.
majinshake
August 4, 2007
No. Sci-Fi Channel got the rights to one of my favorite horror series and ran it into the ground... wasn't suprised, this isn't the first time it's happened.
May 29, 2007
Certainly not the best in this series. The protagonists are painfully idiotic (in one scene they run through a room full of guns and don't take any). The zombie-effects are pretty good, however.
fallendarkangel1306
July 18, 2007
Lame - but then again, most of the l'Living Dead' movies are. Still, you gotta love 'em for it. If you like Army of Darkness or Evil Dead, you'll like the 'Living Dead' flicks.
shinyhed
June 4, 2007
there's a scene where the zombies are having a fistfight with the humans. two rotting thumbs up baby.
May 15, 2007
?oober soldiers? oober lame, was going to also watch ?return of the living dead 5: rave to the grave? but sitting thru the previous one was far more than enough for me.
May 21, 2007
there's some cool scences of gore but it takes awhile to get to. Bad acting, story, even music make it hardly worth the wait.
JohnnySkull619
April 23, 2007
Generally a crappy way to get the genre re-started in B-films, but I still own a copy. I was not too fond of it for the acting or the way it played out, but rather because... well... I love zombies. Period.
April 12, 2007
I wasn't expecting much when it starts with some bad acting and drags on with pridictible scenes. But it did a great job, with the gore. At least the story was a change of pace.
The Borg ...i mean the kids parents coulda been a bigger threat....Lame but not as lame as they were.
its not a good movie but an 'Ok' Zombie Movie. And if u love zombie movies then ur gonna check it out anyway.
and the two funny lines back to back are worth it.
renfieldsmania
March 18, 2007
Who gives a crap film like this a good rating? I liked it better when it had a big budget and was called Resident Evil: Apocalypse... Oh wait, no i didn't! Both films suck!
February 21, 2007
It's not even worth wasting around an hour and a half purely making fun of this film! It was simply annoying.. To make it worse, if you're a huge fan of ROTLD- you're likely to be disappointed as the basic idea of the zombies changed drastically. (In the good *two* films of this series, the zombies couldn't die easily and they only ate brains...in this, they die very easily and they eat flesh-not just brains.) Not to mention that the acting was terrible..
mLuIsEh
February 15, 2007
I THOUGHT THE PLOTLINE WAS ALITTLE BORING...BUT THE ZOMBIES WERE GREAT ESPEACIALLY WHEN THE GROUP OF FRIENDS GET STUCK A BUILDING WITH ZOMBIES RUNNING EVERYWHERE.