Critic Review - Chicago Reader

With its feints at horror and pathos, the third Star Wars film is the most Disney-esque in its emotional outline, yet that outline is buried beneath an obnoxiously hyped-up pace that reduces the emotions to rubble.

June 6, 2007 Full Review Source: Chicago Reader | Comments (18)
Chicago Reader
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Snacky

Thomas Ryan

Madam, you should really stop trying to get attention. This film had the most emotion out of the series, if you ask me.

Aug 16 - 09:50 AM

Mysterious F.

Mysterious F

Actually, Dave Kehr is male.

Jun 14 - 03:22 PM

Tom P.

Tom P

I think you missed the joke.

Jan 23 - 06:17 AM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

@Snacky: I think it's the level of emotion present in the film that the Kehr feels uncomfortable with. You see, with Yoda, Vader, the only Asian guy to ever appear in a Star Wars film (as an A-wing pilot), and untold numbers of stormtroopers dying, it was just too much for him to take.

Dec 6 - 05:50 PM

King Alaric

Shaune Hill

may be you watch films with your eyes closed and fingers in ears? Because you SUCK go do something else!!!

Aug 16 - 10:26 AM

Angrygundamgamer

John Munro

Jedi is by far very different from the other 2 classic Star Wars Films, with more aliens in it which gives it that Disney-esque feel, but hey its a galaxy far far away, give me the aliens man. I think what Jedi excels in is the action and entertainment, and the story line is good as well as the emotions, but that is where Empire Strikes Back takes the cake and possibly makes Jedi seem like the emotions turn to rubble... So that's my take on that :)

Feb 20 - 10:35 PM

oblivionspawn07

jake rogers

all this "man" seems to care about is emotions, and not even watching the movie.

Aug 6 - 03:22 PM

Joey Jo Jo Jr Shabidu

Larry David

Dave Kehr sucks. He hated EVERY early blockbuster of the 1970s and 1980s. Jaws, Superman, Grease, Animal House, Alien, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Gremlins, The Karate Kid, Splash, and he thought Rocky was just "okay". He's a troll if there ever was one.

Feb 16 - 11:00 AM

Doug M.

Doug Masters

I have a theory about this movie, if you take out the ewoks it would be everyone's favorite....

The drama in some of the scenes of this movie are unmatched by any other film with the word star wars attached to it. In fact I think this film has 3 or 4 of some of the best scenes in movie history. More emotion here than in Empire, the problem with this movie is that the emotions are wrapped in something much less common that people have a hard time wrapping their heads around. That's the problem when you make a mature movie ( yes I said mature, despite a few ewoks I still said mature ) people miss the boat.

Jul 25 - 11:11 PM

Christopher Allen

Christopher Allen

I agree.

Feb 17 - 02:23 PM

Christopher Allen

Christopher Allen

Again his opinion and yet does he give any credible evidence? Now should sequels be standalone films as most regular movies? Not really. Each sequel should be based on its merits and screw ups and it should also be graded on how it handles the story. From a story stand point this film had so much emotion to it and if you watch it after watching the previous 5 (yes those 1-3 are still around.) you really do feel that this ties up Anakin Skywalkers journey as a Tragic Hero. Luke was his redemption because he had the same compassion his mother had for his father when he fell.

Now as a kid when I first saw this I enjoyed the Ewoks now at 22 I do somewhat but realistically I don't see how they pulled it off unless the Empire was in more dire straights than the Film let on.

Feb 17 - 02:28 PM

Josie M.

Josie Mustachio

I let what you said about Empire slide but this is too far. You suck at rating movies but rock at sucking cock.

Sep 25 - 08:16 PM

John Meddle

John Meddle

And who in the blue hell are you? Yet nobody cares what some unknown "critic" thinks. All what matters is the fans and what they have to say. They think this is a great classic and that's all what truly matters.

Sep 8 - 11:54 PM

gabriel v.

gabriel vizcaya

The only thing that know is certain for me is that it was something special not to say that it will never repeat again cus we all know LOTR but damn critics this has succeed for a reason...there is something so beautiful in this picture.
Its true Its impossible for me to look this movie objectively Its just so profoundly attach to my childhood. This trilogy was made for everyone from the blockbuster fan to the intelectual critic

Oct 8 - 09:10 PM

Michael Hirakida

Michael Hirakida

Oh god... not the chicago reader again...

Jan 7 - 10:05 PM

Andrew W.

Andrew Whitefield

How is this person a Top Critic???

Feb 10 - 12:15 AM

robohunter

Adam young

you are a troll

Feb 11 - 12:38 PM

Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller

go the F*CK away miss kehr

Jun 22 - 08:27 PM