68% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi Reviews

William C.
September 13, 2014
Star Wars: Episode VI-The Return of the Jedi is a fitting ending to the original series of films, it keeps what we like from the first two but also adds in new things along the way. I did feel this isn't anywhere near the par that IV and V reach but still remains an important film in Star Wars and is also, not bad. The film is one I don't expect people to say is there favourite but I also wouldn't criticise someone if they did love this. I felt it to be firmly a sound movie and here below is why so.

The story is not that fast but still gets a lot in for it's running time, the introduction of a lot of new features, characters and locations mean this is never a movie where your seeing double of the previous movies. It has good action and although maybe lacks the space fights etc we so often see spread out in other series films, it still manages to give you the right amount of thrills throughout. One more thing is that the story ties everything round nicely and it's fair to say this is one of the better film franchise endings.

The cast remain strong and the main characters we like so much are also back with even more diverse roles and personality. I did feel the chemistry can sometimes seem strained maybe but by the end this is one of the only Star Wars originals where Harrison Ford doesn't out show everyone else. As for new characters well there not so much actual people so it can't be said it is acted well in that way but all credit to all the extras involved who play a vast amount of alien races.

Richard Marquand comes in to direct on this one and although not ruining the already legendary series, he can't be said to contribute much and I have to feel slightly sorry for him to make a good film, just eclipsed by two amazing films before. Kasdan and Lucas do well with the script and the screenplay is pretty nice here but I did feel the actual playing out of the story is not that well pieced together. I felt this is better choreographed than previous, better duels, gun battles etc make this more fast paced in the action area and one of the better things about this movie.

My main critical points are mostly about the film just never being THAT good but yet again I'm comparing it to it's previous two films. It just isn't as richly emotional yet also not as funny as the others, fun yes but lacks the smiles we need from the main cast. I also wasn't too keen on the ending, is it rushed well maybe but in any case it still delivers nicely, just not as nice as I think the proposed ending should be.

I think die hard Star Wars fans will like this but I am not sure if they will love it, for the amount of criticism which was levied against Star Wars in the future prequels, this film is never seen as any less to New Hope and Empire when in reality it never reaches the others heights. For anyone not a fan of the series this is still fun and you should enjoy it as it is a fitting ending and really brings the story full circle in a way which is soundly done.

Overall I give this a 7.2/10 and felt it to be Firmly a Good film, not quite being near to very good. Yes with more Star Wars after this film we can safely say this is not the ending anymore but still serves an a finish to a classic three films in the 70's and 80's which to be fair, even if this movie isn't an instant classic, it is still part of an almost flawless original series of films.
July 22, 2014
Can someone explain to me how Captain America: The First Avenger has a higher critic rating than this classic trilogy capper?
January 14, 2012
An epic finale of the saga, and the best Star Wars yet. (A+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably and requires another viewing)
Denis M.
September 10, 2014
The conclusion to the original epic Star Wars trilogy,ends with Return of the Jedi,that despite it's silliness at some points,the movie still offers the best of good vs evil in a truly riveting way.
July 23, 2014
Worst Star Wars. The atmosphere and characters are all there but the plot makes absolutely no sense after they get off Tattoine. The new characters are boring, the dialogue was never strong in Star Wars but it's particularly weak in this one (Especially the distortion of the Han Solo "I Know" line from Episode V that completely robbed it of everything it meant), the space battle is cool but I'm starting to doubt the rebels were ever at a disadvantage since they were completely ambushed and outgunned yet they still managed to annihilate the imperial fleet. Then they end it with the cheesiest ending of all time. If you look past this then you'll enjoy it but the flaws are glaring.
Joey T

September 6, 2014
Even with Return of the Jedi's overly obnoxious Ewoks, it remains a fine conclusion to the Star Wars trilogy, bringing all of the main characters, both protagonists and antagonists, to satisfying conclusions. It may be the weakest in the Star Wars trilogy, but even the worst of the best would still be considered the best to many other film franchises.
June 9, 2013
Ewoks or no ewoks, the force was with it all along.
Akhona  M.
September 5, 2014
The cinematography is on point, especially on the home planet of the Ewoks. However, fight scenes are drawn out for too long (unlike ''Empire Strikes Back'') and the battle between the Rebels and the Imperial Army was unnecessarily long and could've been snipped a little. They make up for their mistakes with the legendary scene of Luke and Darth Vader playing 'Hide and Seek' as well as the emotions in Vader's final scene in the film. The movie was certainly excellent, but didn't live up to the standard of Star Wars V.
May 18, 2011
Not as good as "Star Wars" or "Empire" but still a quality flick.
August 25, 2014
So many great contents with this movie, but why use Ewoks? Could have been better if they used something else.
Emod L.
September 2, 2014
85%
What it lacks in good story and acting--all well-done in the other films--ROTJ's symbolism and themes are as relevant today as they were in 1983.
September 1, 2014
The first act is fantastic. But even if the experience is less exciting with the tiny teddy bears, "Return of the jedi" is a strong conclusion to the star wars original trilogy.
September 1, 2014
While it may not be the strongest film out of the trilogy, it is still enjoyable. A good end to a beloved saga.
August 26, 2014
One of the bf the best endings to a film trilogy.
Dylan Vaughn
April 7, 2013
An exciting and rejoicing final installment that ends Lucas' series as epic as it started!
October 5, 2007
A magfnificent climax for a magnificent saga.
DanOMovieguy
December 6, 2013
Return of the Jedi is a fun movie, but doesn't quite live up to the original two. First off, the Ewoks were a bit dumb, and I had a hard time believing the little puppets with sticks could take down the Emperor's finest troops. That feeds into the problem that this movie feels a bit too child orientated, almost as if the darkness is dumbed down to let the younger audience view it (this film follows the most dark/mature Star Wars film). However, the showdown between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor was really great, and wraps up the good vs evil conflict very well. The films first act is exhilarating, making for an extremely cool setup. Unfortunately the second act is a bit uneventful, and the rest of the film isn't as fun as the first half hour. Our protagonist is very well developed, and we get to see him come into a full arc. It still makes for a good movie, just not as good as the previous installments. All the loose ends in the series are tied up, and the payoff in the end feels good, with a satisfying wrap up to the epic series. Star Wars: Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi gets 4/5 stars (B+).
August 19, 2014
Classic saga that all modern fantasies copying, shamelessly.
Stormy
August 18, 2014
Despite not being as good as its two predecessors Return of the Jedi has the best space battle in the entire Star Wars saga. Although the lightsaber battles are not as fast as those in the prequels the music that accompany them make them just as special. The Ewoks make this film memorable, but they do highlight one of its flaws.
Jonathan T.
December 19, 2013
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is an awesome movie, because the story is so magnificent and beautiful, and not to mention the fantastic music, the great actors and the high amount of action!

The ending in this movie is one of the most dramatic and greatest ever. The negative thing about this movie is that the beginning is a bit to slow, childish and silly, but also that it didn't contain as much action as in the previous movie. The movie overall is very enjoyable, especially the ending which is so dramatic.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi get a 8/10