Return of the Living Dead Part II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Return of the Living Dead Part II Reviews

½ May 21, 2011
The sequel follows on from the first with its very very basic and silly plot but this time it goes for the throat with full on comedy over horror and gory effects. The makeup and effects are again excellent and show what can be done with real hands on skills instead of just using CGI.

This follow up is not as bloody and in your face as the first but more of a slapstick horror with icky green/brown pus favoured over ye olde claret. The odd thing in this sequel is they clearly follow the same plot route as the first. The plot is your standard zombie outbreak type of thing with toxic waste causing the usual problems, but it all feels like a reboot because the first film used toxic gas as the problem that causes the dead to rise from their graves. From there on its virtually the same spiel, literately!.

The use of the same actors in the exact same type of roles, albeit with different names, is strange yet it doesn't seem to matter. The same type of humour and even the same dialog at times make this film feel like a rerun of the first film but with better effects and a lighter tone. Despite the positively evil looking poster art the film isn't very scary at all, its almost a spoof at times, but a very good one.

An amusing 'Thriller' mockery moment at the end typifies how silly this franchise has become, but it is quite amusing I must admit. At the end of the day it still a very good horror comedy and doesn't take itself seriously at all which helps. I think the route they decide to take with this franchise after the first film was the right choice otherwise it would have just been seen as a Romero franchise ripoff.

The actors are having fun in their roles and the special effects guys are having a blast with all the slimy gruesome gore. Its completely hokey and corny of course, but back in the day these films were fresh and popular and they still hold up today if you ask me. The ultimate popcorn flick and perfect for aspiring monster makeup wannabes.
January 18, 2011
This zombie flick is okay, but it's a sequel and not as good as the original, and the actors are bad, and the story is exactly the same as the first too.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 9, 2010
This in my opinion tried to copy the first film without trying anything new or creative. What made the first film so great was the crazy antics of the characters and the zombies. Something that seems to be lacking a bit in this sequel. The film is not helmed by Dan O'bannon who made the first, and who created something special with the first film. The film feels tired and ragged out, and the actors try their best to act out the semingly tired out script. A so-so sequel, but considering the first film is such a classic, this is a disappointment.
October 24, 2008
I enjoyed this tremendously. It was one of the first zombie films I saw, and first of the Return series. A mix of horror and comedy can so easily be done wrong so this time out, Director Weiderhorn decided to go all out on pure entertainment-almost a light-hearted comedy on the undead. Some jokes fall flat (severed hand giving the finger, probably lifted from Evil Dead 2) but the fun of the film will draw most in and bring back nostalgic memories of the 1980s. The opening credits have recieved a lot of crap as they don't set up the plot the same way the first Return's did. But I like the song (Julian Cope's Spacehopper) and it really caught my attention and got me in a silly mood. The song is probably this film's equivilant of the first's PartyTime sequence.

Some might call it lame, but they're just being too cynical. This is a good sequel in most respects and a lot of fun to watch. Like the first, it's dated in many respects but it's still a load of fun.
½ February 2, 2008
a disappointing followup, Rave to the Grave might be better
July 8, 2007
It seemed to have better zombie effects, characters, story and humour than the first. I really got into this one, whereas I could never get into the first one.
October 26, 2013
Return of the Living Dead Part II isn't so much a sequel as it's a remake. Once again barrels of Trioxin are discovered and opened in a small community, resulting in the reanimation of the dead. The plot hits the same beats and recreates some of the same scenes of the original, only in slightly different ways. The tone however, is way too jokey and slapstickish. Some of it's funny (if for no other reason than how crazy it is), but most of it's idiotic schlock. Missing the darkness and clever satire of the original, Return of the Living Dead Part II is uninspired tripe.
Ryan M
½ July 27, 2011
1.4/10

You know. Zombies are funny creatures. They walk about for nothing; they have no purpose other than to feast on the living and possibly create new zombies with each bite. But ever since "Night of the Living Dead", and perhaps even before that, they have been both funny and sometimes frightening to watch walk our streets. "The Return of the Living Dead Part II" is not a zombie movie. It isn't even a horror movie. Hell, it's funny; but it's not even a comedy. There's something wrong here; something very wrong indeed, and I think it is that this movie stinks of its foul odor.

There wasn't anything worth liking. Whether the film's hilarity was intentional or not is not for me to say. It didn't feel like intentional camp to me; and I know what that feels like. Why am I always seeking shit like this out? I mean, I gave it a chance because I felt that the previous film, "Return of the Living Dead", was kind of clever. I gave it what it deserved; and I'll do the same for the ridiculously bad sequel. It's so bad that I almost want to run out and buy it so that I can expose those who I care about to its awfulness. Who knows? It might be fun for parties.

Some small children are playing near a cemetery when they accidentally let loose the very toxic gas that was present in the first movie. If you remember correctly, when released in the air, this "toxic gas" could wake the dead from their seemingly eternal slumber, reborn as what we call "zombies". This happens again; oh yes it does. And believe me, that's all there is to it.

The zombies walk the streets, there are a few central characters (some of which remind me of the characters from the original; this must have been intentional), and you better believe the story doesn't do much beyond that. In fact, "The Return of the Living Dead Part II" is a bore aside from its many scenes of dialogue; which are all, appropriately, hilarious. So maybe the word "boring" can't be applied without be sounding as ridiculous as the movie.

I can't deny that I was entertained, but man, this was still bad as hell. When your gore scenes aren't even enough to entertain; hell, when you don't even HAVE enough gore scenes for your movie to feel like a good entry for its genre, then you are in a lot of trouble. There's an audience, a sort of cult audience that might like the film for its corniness; I can't say I'm not in there somewhere.

"Part II" is ugly both visually and intellectually. It arrives with insanely lame dialogue and a lack of focus. It's being billed as a horror-comedy, but there's a difference between forced campy-humor and truly campy-humor. This certainly feels forced; very, very much so.

As one of the worst horror films I've ever seen to not be a revolting, despicable, artistically devoid exploitation picture that makes me want to run for the nearest door and keep on running, "The Return of the Living Dead Part II" might deserve some solid recognition. I'd watch it again if only to laugh, but I'll tell you this; for the most part, it's pretty unwatchable. That is unless you are with friends; you are drunk, stoned, high, on hallucinogenic drugs; whatever floats your damn boat. There are many ways to (possibly) enjoy a movie as horrible as this one, and I can't list all of them. Maybe you can just watch if for yourself and see. Or maybe you can avoid it and save yourself some time. Why filth like this is ever released, I'll never know; and thankfully...I don't want to know.
May 6, 2007
Incredibly annoying zombie knock-off with third-rate direction and a fucking awful script. Not funny or scary. Skip.
jim222001us
September 4, 2007
I never saw the first Return of Living Dead, I always thought this was a sequel to Night of the Living Dead. Anyway, there should be a rule that zombies don't say "BRAINS!!!!" when they are after their victims. That always made this film more comical than scary, although I'm not sure if that was it's goal or not since I didn't see the movie in years.
May 15, 2007
It's straight comedy this time, but parts are quite funny.
September 21, 2008
The first one was better. Using the same characters from the first only made it seem predictable in this cheesy sequel. But the Michael Jackson Zombie was hilarious to see! ;)
June 26, 2008
my favorite of this genre!
DrLappos
July 27, 2007
Definatley one of the reasons I love horrors.......One of the best films made in my opinion.
iLeo
October 2, 2006
Humorous movie within a lighter setting.
½ September 7, 2014
Decent sequel (and my personal favorite) in the Living Dead series. A couple of the stars return from the original which does help. The effects are as good if not better than the first and there is a great bit of hard rock creepy atmosphere to the film: the zombies resurrecting and overwhelming the community was great. However, the humor of the film is very hit or miss and, like most 80's horror movies, contains a few annoying characters. With that being said, if you want an 80s horror movie that captures the feel back then and doesn't take itself too seriously, there are much worse things you could watch than this.
March 12, 2014
This movie is awesome kiiiid! I remember watching this when i was younger it was pretty scary because of the thought of the dead coming back to life. Now that I'm older i can still appreciate the memories of a good scare plus the comedy of it that i was blinded to that i can now have a laugh at stil makes it fun to watch. You just gotta be open minded to enjoy it
½ October 8, 2013
Nothing to do with the (superior) original. More on par with The Stuff than its predecessor. Too kid oriented and no naked chicks. Some funny moments (splatstick), but not as good as the first.
October 25, 2012
A terrible film and that's how I like it! Seriously terrible in every regard. But it's just so bad you almost can't help but like it. Almost.
April 26, 2012
Another military tub full of a deadly toxin that raises the dead to life has found its way to a small town, where young boy Jesse (Michael Kenworthy) and his friends uncover the tub, but he manages to get away before breathing in the fumes, unlike his friends. Now, the dead are coming back to life, and it's up to Jesse, his sister Lucy (Marsha Dietlein), cable technician Tom ( Dana Ashbrook), Brenda (Suzanne Snyder), and two grave robbers who might look familiar (James Karen, Thom Mathews) to stop the incoming horde of the dead.

What George A. Romero's zombie films do to make the zombie infestations serious and frightening, the "Return of the Living Dead" series takes it to a humorous role, giving them the ability to speak, think, and interact (the head in this film was just plain hilarious). It doesn't take the zombie genre seriously, and was the precursor to other zombie-comedies (I call them zom-coms) like "Shaun of the Dead" and "Zombieland." Plus, for 1988, the effects were pretty revolutionary.

I also enjoy the fact that two actors from the first film (Karen & Mathews) to play different roles (yet have the same outcome), and Mathew's character even said "I feel like we've been here before." A great film that doesn't take itself too seriously, and doesn't expect anyone else to either.