Return to Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Return to Me Reviews

½ March 28, 2006
Return To Classic Romance
½ December 16, 2011
A supporting cast stacked like the old Lakers starting lineup bouys this unusually plotted romcom that's got laughs and tears. Not bad, not bad at all.
December 9, 2008
Yeah, it's another romantic comedy, but more than that it's thoughtful, loving, and accurate. Think, one big hug of a film.
deano
½ January 4, 2007
Actress-director Bonnie Hunt makes this wonderful comedy-drama film which seems very emotionally, heartwarming and funny of the young couple who has a very strong heart like fell in love, neither aware of the medical miracle that bonds them; the point of the story is what will happen after they do find out. The result is a charming example of the kinder, gentler filmmaking that couples or parents often complain we "don't see enought of anymore." And the seniors are really hilarious.
cancercapricorn2002
July 6, 2007
Being a member of the male persuasion, I often gag at love stories. Usually, the only chance I have at liking one is if there's some comedy mixed in. And good doses too. If the sap is laid on too thick, I'm out the door.

"Return To Me" has a lot of good laughs and an overall good-natured feel about it. It also is very cute and very sweet and very....well, whatever other words you usually don't hear from guys.

The movie stars David Duchovny as Bob Rueland, a construction worker with the good life. His wife Elizabeth (Joely Richardson) works at a zoo with a gorilla she taught sign language to. At a dinner function one night, Elizabeth seeks contributions to build the gorilla a new, bigger habitat to live in. Bob promises her he'll do it himself if need be.

Their happy life is cut short when Elizabeth dies in a car accident. Her heart is donated to Grace Briggs (Minnie Driver), who recovers from her illness and is thankful for her second chance at life.

Bob's life is slowly but surely getting back to normal, but he spends most of his time making true on his promise to build the new habitat at the zoo. Then, one night, he meets Grace, who's waitressing at her grandfather's Italian/Irish restaurant. He feels an immediate attraction to her.

Of course, they'll end up dating and getting serious, but I'll stop right there. What makes this movie fun is the colorful assortment of surrounding characters. Grace's grandfather Marty (Carroll O'Connor) owns the restaurant with his brother-in-law Angelo (Robert Loggia), and they spend countless after-hours playing cards and debating who the greatest singers are, male and female, dead and alive.

Marty and Angelo also engage in a bit of scheming to get Bob and Grace together, which makes for a lot of laughs.

Grace's friend Megan (Bonnie Hunt) often offers her friend advice, but she has problems of her own. Her husband Joe (James Belushi) is your typical rugged, beer-drinking kind who spends not exactly quality time with his foul-mouthed kids. There are a lot of laughs in these scenes. Watch for one in particular where Joe dances about shirtless in the kitchen.

Last but certainly not least, Duchovny and Driver are likeable, believable characters. Driver's big bright eyes reflect that of a person who is enjoying her second chance at life. Duchovny reflects the same, in a way, since he's getting a second chance to love.

A prevailing consensus of this movie is that a lot of people will hate it. Maybe. But I didn't. I laughed a lot, felt good throughout and was entertained. Its a movie worth checking out and good date movie. One of my favorites
½ February 26, 2007
ok romantic comedy drama
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
decent but sad flick. the old guys in the bar are pretty cool
January 22, 2007
Watched about 45 minutes at my friend's house and then went home. It tries really hard, but never breaks out of the mold of "generic rom-com". Too bad.
December 6, 2006
I think I saw this one day when I was feeling sensitive and I remember liking it. I haven't felt sensitive in years. I'm sure if I saw it again I'd hate it.
½ May 20, 2006
Rather dull.
April 26, 2006
This is as good as a formulaic romance movie can possibly be. David Duchovny and Minnie Driver have surprising chemistry. Who knew?
April 6, 2011
The cast alone makes this movie worth a look! Not your run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, it has a lot to offer and should be seen at least once.
DrStrangeblog
½ October 11, 2010
Winning performances hold together this believable romance between people drawn together by extraordinary circumstances: she has the transplanted heart of his dead wife! Not as corny as it sounds.
poohtiger
March 20, 2007
Very well done romantic drama with a touch of comedy. This movie caught me off guard because I didn't expect it to be this good. I think it's one of the best romantic dramas that doesn't have Meg, Julia, or Sandra that is really good. I would put it right up there with When Harry Met Sally, While You Were Sleeping, Pretty Woman, etc.

Megan: "What do you expect most from a relationship? A: Companionship. B: Sex. C: Respect. I'd have to go with B: Sex. But let's mark "C" so we get a higher score'.
----------------------------------------------
Bob Rueland: Would you go out with me?
Grace Briggs: Yes?
Bob Rueland: Is that a question?
Grace Briggs: No, it's a yes. Yes.
Bob Rueland: Tomorrow night?
Grace Briggs: Yes.
Bob Rueland: Eight o'clock?
Grace Briggs: Yes.
Bob Rueland: Pick you up here?
Grace Briggs: Yes.
Bob Rueland: My, you're a very difficult woman.
jim222001us
August 7, 2007
Return to Me is a likable romantic comedy about a recent widow (David Duchovny) who lost his wife in an accident. Soon after he meets Grace (Minnie Driver) and they hit it off. What he doesn't know though is that she had a heart transplant and that the heart she got was his wife's.

Duchovny and Driver are likable and the supporting cast is fun. You have Carrol O' Connor, Bonnie Hunt and James Belushi. James Belushi gets picked on a lot for some reason, but I think he's pretty entertaining. He's funny here too .
iLeo
½ April 12, 2007
Love this movie.
January 10, 2014
Return to Me (2000) is a great romantic comedy with a terrific cast. James Belushi is hysterical. But, it's the direction which Bonnie Hunt takes this film in that makes it what it is. It's fun, lighthearted, and thoughtful.
July 31, 2007
One of my favorite romantic comedies. I love the innocence and naivety of the characters. Sad, but so sweet and even hilarious at times. A must watch!
December 3, 2007
A man who falls in love with the woman
who receied his wife's heart must decide
whic woman it is who holds his heart.
October 31, 2007
David Duchovny and Minnie Driver are charming in this public service announcement for organ donation. A moving and entertaining romantic comedy worth a watch, if you're in the right mood.