42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Return to Sleepaway Camp Reviews

Lafe F

August 4, 2010
This is a bit of a mess. There were so many ideas, but they all couldn't be crammed into one movie. Lots of characters who could've got killed off, sorta vanished from the scene. It was cool seeing Vincent Pastore, but Isaac Hayes and Felissa Rose were a bit underused. The police officer with the voice box was a rather odd character. There were some very original deaths here. I liked the guy being dunked headfirst into the deep fryer, the drug-smoker explosion and the bed of nails. The bird cage death had buildup, but then only showed the after-effects of the rate chewing his face and gut. It took a long time to get things going, as the plot got mired in the fat kid being teased repeatedly. There was a lack of a good end chase. I would've preferred the killer to be out in the open and cracking one liners, rather than keeping their identity a mystery until the end. I hope they make another one and bring Angela back for more fun.
Adam M

February 2, 2011
Sleepaway Camp was "camp" in two ways. Large parts of it were crafted to be tacky, as carefully as the gliding final shot that delivered the audience a horror that went far beyond camp.

This sequel by the original director uses two decent DPs, and is faithful to the spirit of the original in being outright aggressive to the audience, who like the series because its editing popped with crudities and blissful nonchalance about murdering people with as much gruesome creativity as you could learn during Arts&Crafts hour.

But it's stentorian, in the action and the editing. And the actors (ex. Pastore, Hayes) play it loud and caustic, usually effectively.

However, it has a focal character, Alan, who is like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket if Pyle was just as likely to pummel the other cadets with bars of soap for a belly laugh. Everyone on the production has encouraged this poor young actor to give what we might call a career-destroying performance. That way, whatever violence happens can go around him, and if their build-up fails to scare, they can point to Alan and say they weren't taking this whole horror thing seriously anyway.

The best thing you can say about Return to Sleepaway Camp is that it's not boring and moves as fast as hell. Makes it hard to get over-annoyed at any one thing -- except Alan. It's also interesting in that the writer-director populates the scene with campers that have 1 or 2 lines who we only see twice, which suggests a real camp more than a smaller cast, and more than the weird fact that this camp draws older men to continually work with adolescents -- older men which include Ronnie, from the first movie, who still wears his heart on his sleeve and muscle shirts with no sleeves. In fact, the movie is populated with realistically attractive starlets (who don't get naked or hook up with anyone). A lesson to movie makers who want every young actress to look like an almost-supermodel postgraduate.
Cassandra M

August 12, 2009
It's been over 20 years now since we saw the first Sleep away camp movie and with its shocking twist! Well that movie was Cheesy and Fun to watch just like Return to Sleepaway camp (2008) It dose have the 80's feel to whole the movie, Acting is very cheesy and funny! The movie starts of were the boys are messing around in the bed room as Alan come in trying to be a big shot but fails.

Later all the campers are in the canteen having lunch while Frank tells them to shut the hell up so the security man can tell them something but he can't speak normal because he used to smoke a lot! And use some kind of tool to talk, of course everyone make fun of him.

Meanwhile Alan is being pain as he won't eat the food that everyone is eating so he throws it on the floor and then Randy grabs him and tells him to eat it of the floor! The fight is broken by Ricky (who I think was in the 1st Sleep away camp movie) As Alan goes to see the cook and then the cook tell him not to eat the ICE CREAM but again Alan dose not listen and then The cook start to throw eggs at him, which make Alan fight back then throws knife at the cook at the same moment Frank see this and tells Alan to go to his room.

Later a person in black coat and hood of the person head come in a kills the cook by pushing him into the deep fryer and gets rid of he body.

The next day Frank thinks that the cook did a runner, so no one knows he was killed.

Again Alan is get in being bullied by everyone boys and girls most of the movie.

While everyone doing these pranks on Alan, more bodies end up dead! Then the girl that Alan likes traps him into the worst prank of all time! That makes him mad, screaming mad! And then runs into the woods.

Ricky has a very weird feeling that Angela is back but no one believes him (I don't believe he can act lol) (All deaths scenes were so bloody awesome, 10/10 for every deaths scene!) When the bodies are found dead, everyone says it's Alan who killed everyone! Is it Alan? Or is Ricky right that Angela is back? Or is a new copy cat killer on campus? Overall I was not disappointed in this movie, I didn't expect to like at all. Also really like the twist., I didn't see it coming!

The acting wasn't great at all but it was perfect for B- movie. I love the deaths scenes just made this movie great for me.
Beefy
Beefy

November 20, 2008
Disappointment. Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood. I couldn't even finish it.
Todd S

December 9, 2009
It takes a good actor to play a bad one, and that's really the point of Return To Sleepaway Camp. Many critics have given this movie a terrible review, because they just don't understand it. Back in the 50's and 60's B-Movies were terrible because they had a very small budget. The actors were bad, the effects were ridiculous, and the story was rushed. Today's B-Movies have 100 times the budget of their predecessors. Return To Sleepaway has bad acting and terrible effects, not because they had no budget, but rather to pay homage to the B-Movies of the past. If you look at it in that context, this movie is actually pretty good! The kids are great, there are some really funny lines, and the cheesy effects are hilarious. It's just a simple, funny, old fashion B-Horror movie, that I enjoyed quite a bit.
Sylvester K

December 29, 2011
Acting is bad, plot is cliche, gore decreased and it had a sad tone to it that were trying to mimic the plot of the first movie. It's bad, real bad.
divinetrash
divinetrash

November 17, 2008
Jonathan Tiersten is a wasted opportunity in this "original sequel", and he even looks like has fooled into going to location, but the rest of the movie is fun and has enough blood to satisfy. Plus, we get to hate on a retarded kid, which I liked for some reason.
Sarah P

November 6, 2008
This movie was really poorly made and the acting was horrible, though it was on par with Saw for ideas to kill people (or in Saw's case - for people to kill themselves) however the special effects were too bad to be cool.
ken j

October 18, 2008
its summer again and this time its at a new camp called manabe where all the kids pretty much pick on each other all summer longer while the owner gets fat off there parents cash and the consulers could careless about watching anyone but there is one kid that gets picked on alittle to much and snaps thats when people start dieing all the kids think its him one of the staff members thinks its Angela from the other camp back for more revenge but who really is the killer? Well to be honest i didnt care either way cause this movie was sloppy all the way threw and looks rushed together with no budget there was a small amount of cool kills which gave it a extra star but other then that people can avoid this one.
July 13, 2012
Return to Sleepaway Camp (Robert Hiltzik, 2008)

Twenty-five years after the original Sleepaway Camp became a runaway cult hit, Robert Hiltzik got back in the director's chair for the fifth film in the ongoing (the sixth is in post-production as I write this; the fourth, started in 2002 and abandoned when the production company went bankrupt, is reported to now be finished and looking for a distributor) horror/comedy series. One would have hoped that Hiltzik returning to the fold would have meant a similar return to straighter horror, as the first movie wasn't played as a comedy, but one would hope in vain. Hiltzik has very much internalized the movies in between. The end result? A movie that combines the worst of all the pictures that came before it, with no inkling at all of what made them watchable.

Alan (Michael Gibney in his first big-screen appearance) is exactly the kind of kid an audience is least likely to feel sympathy for. He's a whiny little brat who complains to any adult in earshot that he's always getting picked on, which causes the older kids to pick on him, so he turns around and bullies those younger and smaller than himself. He also never bathes or changes his clothes (one of the few good touches in the movie is the degradation over time of the condition of his ever-present white T-shirt). Of course, he's the outcast, and you know where this is going if you've seen earlier movies in the series; those who pick on him start dying horrible deaths.

I think where Hiltzik went wrong with this is that in the original, which cleaves strongly to this same formula, while Angela wasn't exactly a sympathetic character, her extreme lack of socialization and uncomfortableness around others made us at least pity the poor kid. (Either that or Felissa Rose was really that bad an actress in 1983.) Alan is one of the least sympathetic characters in horror movies, maybe in any kind of movies, in a long, long time. I don't know about everyone else, but I was hoping he would be the first one to bite it less than five minutes in. It would be a spoiler to tell you the movie's biggest letdown, but given the placement of this sentence in this review, you're probably smart enough to figure out what it is on your own. A complete waste of time, notable only for Isaac Hayes' spoofing on the Chef character he played in South Park for a minute or so early in the film. * 1/2
March 20, 2010
This holds up well on the re-watch and the bizarro tone is even funnier and more entertaining knowing where it's ultimately going.

Filled with head-scratchingly cruel and surreal moments, this one wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I found myself enjoying it in spite of how downright weird it was.

Worth a rental, especially if you're a fan of the first film.
February 6, 2009
if you're a fan of the series, you'll def. enjoy this one. hands down the 2nd best flick in the series
June 23, 2009
Yikes - to bring everyone back for this reunion and have it go this badly is pretty disheartening.
Felissa Rose grew up to quite a stunner - um - I think that's all the good news I have.
When you have a whiny annoying lead character who serves to just act as a "red herring" - the movie probably could have done without him.
Ugh, and they got to use the phrase "Big Pussy" with Vincent Pastore. Whatever.
toonami2280
February 18, 2009
a pretty good follow up to the original.i do like the fact that it completely disregaurds part 2&3 since they both sucked anyway.i also loved the fact that the key actors from the first movie came back to reprise their roles for this one.felissa rose is gorgeous and i would have liked to have seen more of her without that damn sherriff make up on.worth watching by any horror fan.
December 16, 2008
I've been looking forward to this movie since 2003. It was cool to see the 3 original characters back for this 4th sequel. The acting was better than the original and the same goes for the interesting kills. Although I love the plot of a bully getting bullied. You never see that in alot of movies, seriously. But this movie was exactly like the orignal and you knew who the killer was from the very beginning. I liked it but let's get serious, it's no saw series.
December 5, 2008
This movie is the true sequel to the original. It seems like this would suck because of the gap in time between this and the original, but the film makers do a great job making this look like an 80's summer camp horror film. All the jokes, gore, original deaths, acting and classic characters are back paying perfect homage to the original film. Even some of the original actors come back for this film. my advice is not to base this movie on the trailer or the first half hour of the movie, its more than meets the eye.
Jubei
November 20, 2008
I have waited a long time for another sequel to Sleepaway Camp, one of my favorite used to be Trilogy. This movie has that 80's horror feel to it and brings back 3 or 4 of the original Sleepaway Camp actors. It is directed by Robert Hitzik, who directed the original. Awesome movie!!! The only thing I didn't get was trying to make it a sequel to the first without it looking like 2 and 3 were ever made.
November 15, 2008
This movie is strengthened enormously by the number of returning cast members. Paul DeAngelo is back as Ronnie, the kindly counselor -- as are the original Ricky and of course Felissa Rose as Angela. This is also the late Isaac Haye's last film.

For the record, I think any attempts to murder the Alan character are completely warranted.

The acting is atrocious and wonderful all at once, and the ending facial expression is right there with that of the first -- if THAT makes any sense. It's crap but it's a good kind of crap!

Check out the extra scene post-credits. What the hell is that about?
juicebox07
November 14, 2008
A slow start, but it picks up more towards the end. It had some good deaths, but I felt it focused too much on bullying rather than killing.