They Came Back Reviews

March 23, 2014
Not nearly as good as the TV adaptation that came later, but still entertaining.
½ March 13, 2014
This was even worse than the later "The Returned" TV series. While the theme of the TV series is that of the "existential crisis," They Came Back is an allegory for immigration. Yet, at the same time, the producers attempt to show how the "real world" would handle such an event as the reappearance of the dead, and how such people would be reintegrated into society. However, like the TV series, the producers seem to forget that the most realistic, obvious course of action would be to excavate a grave or two in order to check the veracity of somebody's claim that they are who they say they are. It's such an obvious miss on the part of the writers/producers that it is unforgivable. (Seriously, wouldn't that be the VERY first thing that would come to mind? It was for me . . .)

So, unless you like slow, brooding material that bangs you over the head over and over again with its theme, while simultaneously botching the surface story, then look elsewhere for entertainment. Let's hope that ABC's new "Resurrection" fares better.
November 30, 2013
Interesting premise but nowhere near as coherent and punchy as the television show, which was a real masterpiece.
February 21, 2013
If you were looking for something gory then you came to the wrong place, They Came Back is about the dead suddenly coming back to life in full health and were trying to integrate into the society despite them being half retarded and has no normative function. The problem became complicated when people are confused as to how to deal with their loved ones. It is quite dinstinctive from other zombie film being there's no zombies, the acting was pretty good, direction were nice too. The only problem with the film was that it spent too much time on developing the characters and lack of any plot driven elements.
September 8, 2013
A zombie film that isn't a zombie film. A story that isn't a story. An ending that isn't an ending. An amble that goes nowhere in a good way.
September 15, 2012
Loved the movie! Very emotional for me. Very realistic to view this phenomenon from an economic and social standpoint.
September 17, 2011
Interesting take on the "return from the dead" theme. Was a little slow and left a lot unanswered, but was a nice change from zombie movies.
½ June 4, 2012
Too staid to work completely, and it avoids a good number of the questions that I first thought about in favor of a placid examination of one-on-one reactions.
flixsterman
July 1, 2009
A very unconventional and ingenious contribution to an increasingly unimaginative genre. Eerily off-center and unsettling.
November 16, 2011
This isn't your typical zombie movie. This film pushes you beyond the common paradigm of what life and freedom of choice means and the finality of death.
November 13, 2011
good, very creepy movie
November 8, 2011
This is the strangest "zombie" movie that I have ever tried watching.
October 30, 2011
An interesting take on the zombie genre but more intriguing are the questions of what makes a relationship and how much can change before the bond breaks.
½ September 25, 2011
I really liked this movie and how it tries to do something that turns the "zombie" genre completely on its ears. I've never seen a movie that the second it begins, you already have a ton of questions about what could've caused this, what happened to them, do they remember their deaths, do they age and it makes you completely and utterly interested in where the movie's going to go and what themes they explore. Unfortunately they don't answer many of my questions, which is my own fault since they were never ACTUALLY addressed in the movie. If the movie addressed it and then never answered it, that'd be one thing, but some of the questions were never addressed so it was unrealistic to expect answers, despite the logical nature of some of these questions. You get to see how the government reacts and how they try to let them lead their lives about as normally as they could and how the people react to the return of their loved ones and their motivations, even of characters you don't even see, are made clear in the movie. For example, there are some unclaimed "zombies" that are overcrowding the centers they're being kept at. And if this thing were real, there would be some people who couldn't deal with the fact that their dead loved ones came back and they wouldn't claim them. It's not selfish behavior, it's a very logical way to react. And this is what the movie does best, it makes this genre into a serious one and one that a lot more, dramatically, could be done with. While I'm a fan of zombie movies, I must admit that almost all of them are never written as serious stories. They may be dark and violent, but you don't really care about what happens to any of the characters because that's not what is selling the movie. This movie is sold on the story of these characters and how people react to their loved ones coming back and how the dead have an incredibly hard time adapting to their life because they can't form new memories and can hardly do their jobs, and everything they do and say has a basis on what happened BEFORE they died. So at the end you really do end up caring about these characters and their actions and I can't recall any zombie movie ever having that effect on me. It's just an incredibly well written and intelligent movie. Now granted, being that there is little to no action the movie does feel slow, but that doesn't mean the movie is bad. Some people will have a problem with the slowness of the movie. So of course I realize that this movie is really an acquired taste. But the complexities of the ideas here, the believable writing and acting make this movie a incredible experience and I wish more people had the balls to take a genre and do something completely unexpected with it. Unlike Twilight's detrimental effects to the vampire lore, this movie only strengthens and adds a dimension never before seen to a genre that's been done to death...
September 15, 2011
For putting soem much attention on the dead actually being back, and then putting them in comas, the last scene where they all fade away was a cop out. Should have been explained better at the end. Not a very enjoyable watch, and with an ending like that... Not satisfying. Not at all.
September 4, 2011
Despite most of the reviews giving merit to this "zombie movie", I have to say it was boring.
½ August 24, 2011
worst.movie.ever. i was SO bored.. i waited for something to happen the entire time and felt really dumb after watching it. really cool idea, but so boring
½ July 20, 2011
A creepy movie about what would happen if the dead walked the Earth...and did nothing else. Director/Writer...you forgot to end your sentence.
July 17, 2011
Ambiguous as hell and almost PLODDING in it's pace, "They Came Back" nevertheless reels you in. There is great dread and unease in the idea of having to suddenly deal with a loved one whom you buried and mourned, only to mysteriously re-appear at your doorstep. Zombie-wise, there is no decomposition or gore here... just dead stares and varying states of catatonia. The score to this film is unbelievable. "They Came Back" is moody, sad, creepy, strange, only a little scary, beautiful, and very French. I couldn't look away.
½ July 13, 2011
In looking at the reviews I was interested to see that nearly no one talked about how the context for "zombies" in this film could be better likened to immigrants. It is widely known that France has been adjusting to a large influx of immigrants since the 80's, and i believe this actually is a better context for viewing the "sudden influx" of "zombies" rather than taking zombies at face value. That is just a thought though, but there are some interesting parallels to say the least. Overall I would say it was a very interesting take on an otherwise ubiquitous genre.