Movies Like The Revenge of the Pink Panther

The Revenge of the Pink Panther Reviews

ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 15, 2009
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the movies!
TomBowler
TomBowler

September 5, 2009
very funny film, just like the other ones.
Dean !

January 6, 2007
One of the weaker Panther films in the series.
garyX
garyX

February 27, 2007
More by the numbers slapstick nonsense. There's very little subtlety or originality on display here, I'm afraid. Just silly accents and fart jokes.
Sunil J

September 11, 2007
The last Pink Panther movie with Peter Sellers. Not the best but still special.
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 12, 2007
After attempts on his life Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers) goes into hiding. He's then presumed dead and Chief Inspector Dreyfus (Herbert Lom) is happy that he's finally rid of him.

Despite a weak storyline there's still some laughs due to Sellers. The best laughs come when Clouseau keeps bumping into Dreyfus. Dreyfus thinks he's going mad and just seeing things. Even a not so great Peter Sellers Pink Panther film is better than a Steve Martin Pink Panther movie.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

January 30, 2009
The last Panther actually starring a live Peter Sellers is the weakest entry of the five, but still some laughs to be found. Still has to be better than the Steve Martin version I reckon (I'm a big fan of his but nobody on earth can fill Sellers' shoes.)
Sean S

June 14, 2008
Burt Kwok gets a bit more screen time in this movie and as he is one of the best things in this series of movies I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Lee K

February 23, 2008
meh return of the pink panther was so much better
May 16, 2007
This was the last Pink Panther movie made while Peter Sellers was alive. It's not as funny as the pervious films but it's still good. In order to get a PG rating they threw in a few four letter words. There are a few funny scenes but the story doesn't make much sense. A French gagster who speaks perfect American English and calls himself the "French Connection" is trying to make a big drug sale to the American mob. To show his power his advisors recommend killing Clouseau. Instead of killing Clouseau they kill a French bank robber dressed in Clouseau's clothes. Then in the last third of the movie to make the drug deal they all go to Hong Kong to meet the American gangsters. The chase scenes through Hong Kong are funny. In a way this movie is a spoof of Hong Kong made Kung Fu movies. Dyan Cannon is hot in this movie, but why would a French gangster have an American secretary and girlfriend? This movie came out after I saw the first four Peter Sellers' Clouseau movies at a Pink Panther film festival at Oklahoma State's Student Union Theater. I saw this movie a month later at the Cowboy Mall in Stillwater. I have this on Laserdisc now.
kenscheck
March 27, 2012
Not the best Panther film, but the franchise tends to remain rather solid as long as Edwards is behind the scenes and Sellers is on the screen. Plot-wise this film is a little less interesting than previous entries, and it creates continuity problems as it disregards Dreyfuss' complete lunacy (you know...like threatening to destroy the world unless Clouseau is murdered) and his apparent death by disintegration at the end of the previous film...and they just give him his old job back when Clouseau is wrongfully declared dead. The series probably should've ended on the high note that was "Strikes Again" instead of continuing on. This would be the last film to really feature Sellers, as he would die before production on any other film (outtakes and alternate cuts of Sellers were used in the next film) could take place.
April 29, 2010
Interesting , at least, from someone who hasn't seen any of the other sequels. I liked it, even if the plot was basically background noise.
MovieGuruDude72
April 24, 2007
May not have been as good as its predecessors, but still has several hilarious moments, including the infamous "Dr. Balls" Proved to be Seller's final Pink Panther movie as he died shortly later. Earlier installations of the series were much, much funnier. This one also had the feeling that Blake Edwards knew this would be Sellers' final Clouseau. it had that finality to it. Not bad but defininitely not one of the best.
August 3, 2009
there really did not need to be this many Pink Panther films, and this installment is adequate proof why. Sellers and Lom, while funny, aren't nearly as on their games as early on in the franchise. the storyline is also much more serious and isn't imbued with as much silliness or bumbling slapstick. in a way, this film tries too hard...both to be funny and to live up to its Pink Panther name. it's entertaining, but it's definitely one of the weaker films in the series.
sadistickitten
March 1, 2009
awesome movie, THE best. I don't want to even see the movies with Steve Martin, peter sellers is THE best
surfgirl063
July 21, 2008
What I reviewed the last 'Pink Panther' film like, yeah, you can copy and paste that review here as well.
manly500usa
March 13, 2007
Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau is dead. At least that is what the world (and Charles Dreyfus) believe when a dead body is discovered in Clouseau's car after being shot off the road. Naturally, Jacques Clouseau knows differently, and taking advantage of not being alive, sets out to discover why an attempt was made on his life. But how will Dreyfus react when he finds out that his dream is really a nightmare?
December 20, 2007
Ah, yes, more Sellers, more Lom.

I've read that this is often considered the drop off the cliff for the series, though there was at least one more made "with" Peter Sellers (the last I have scheduled to watch, Trail of the Pink Panther, which uses recycled and previously unused footage of the then-deceased Sellers) after this, and this one itself included Sellers. Perhaps what they meant was starting AFTER this one? I can't be sure, but this certainly felt, primarily, like a solid continuation of the now fairly long-running series. There was a slightly greater slickness and familiarity to the whole affair, with a little greater set up to some gags, and a little stronger production value (likely studios were more willing to invest money this time with that much popularity behind the preceding films), but DePatie-Freleng returned for the credits after their short hiatus for the previous film, and Kwouk, Lom and Sellers are all here and in top form for their increasingly (increasingly? is that possible?) ludicrous roles as Cato, Dreyfus and Clouseau respectively.

There is a bit of tiredness to things, a sort of "seen it" feeling, but not an overbearing one, and one which does not stop a few laugh-out-loud moments, and Edwards and company do find a new gag to focus on--Clouseau's inept disguise attempts, like a Swedish, parrot-shouldered "seadog," or a falsely rotund mob Godfather--both with Swedish and Italian accents respectively, layered on top of Clouseau's mangled French accent to a pretty amusing effect. Dreyfus' return is inexplicable after the previous film (suggestions like "prequel" abound, but it really doesn't matter) but is welcome, this time he is back in the asylum, but now being released because drug-runner (drugs? that was a bit of a strangely serious turn) Philipe Douvier (Robert Webber, who looks awfully familiar, but I'm not sure what from--probably two strangely coincidental movies--a juror in 12 Angry Men and a general in The Dirty Dozen--guess 12 is perhaps his favourite number?) has (supposedly) finally done Clouseau in, leaving Dreyfus effectively sane.

Of course, nothing of the sort has occurred and our incompetent fool of a hero continues on his way anyway, trying to take down the French Connection with said disguises and the loose-lipped advantage of his "demise" to help him. Dyan Cannon appears as Douvier's jilted lover, helping Clouseau through that inexplicable attraction he encourages in attractive women around him. In essence, it's still another live-action slapstick cartoon, complete with standard spherical black bombs with big fuses and explosions that often do little but leave people in "humorously" body-covering casts that don't hurt until squeezed and some characters or sets simply covered in carbon. If you like Sellers (and you should) and you like slapstick (and you might)--then it's not a bad choice, but nothing extraordinary.
March 30, 2014
The weakest of the Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies, but this still provides a good amount of laughs. The story is ingenious, Inspector Clouseau is believed to be dead and scours the world in disguise searching for a band of criminals, but is never really used for it's full potential. We still see lots of funny stuff, but it's not as memorable as previous installments. Overall, this is a good comedy, but isn't as iconic as the films that made the character famous. Also on the plus side we get more Cato, and more Cato is always good.
December 6, 2013
Good movie, but a bit too short for my liking. Slightly abrupt and rushed ending.