Rid of Me Reviews

October 10, 2012
I loved this! The first 5 minutes of the movie delivers a shocker that sets the tone for the entire movie. Socially awkward butterfly Meris elopes a small town jock, Mitch. Meris lived her marriage true and honest, but it was her husband that faked his roots. After moving back to Mitch's hometown, Meris immediately realizes it wasn't meant to be. Alienated by Mitch's friends, Meris is pitted into a divorce. From there, the punk rocker butterfly is born! And Meris becomes free to fly!
½ June 10, 2015
I'm fairly used to the feeling that often stand alone in my opinions regarding "film art" --- but every once in a while a movie comes along that I find not only unique in perspective but to be surprisingly potent. James Westby's 2011 independent film was largely ignored and dismissed by the time it found it's way to a very small theatrical release. What particularly annoys me about the way it has been so easily dismissed is that I know had the movie been about a male character played by someone like Seth Rogen or Will Ferrell it would have "won hearts" and made money. Rid of Me is a very dark comedy about a grown woman who has spent her life allowing the passively dominant cultural and economic class societal structure to force her entire identity into a box. When the uncomfortable but safety that box provides tosses her out -- she is sent on an comical, profane and often existential quest to not only find herself but to determine which group of people she needs to conform to at this stage of life's game. Merris has clearly never grown up. Westby plays with cultural stereotypes and places our protagonist in a number of uncomfortably funny situations. Given what this film accomplishes on what appears to be shoe string budget, it is a fun and twisted ride of a movie. I suspect it is the twist that this movie is about a woman instead of the stereotype but benignly lovable "boy-man" that puts so many viewers at odds with the film. Katie O'Grady is exceptionally committed to her role. By no means is this film perfect. There are flaws, but what one will find here is so much more than you're likely to find in the typical crap Hollywood cranks out for the few leading ladies believed to be "bankable" This is an entertaining movie that offers a perspective that is far more cutting than you might realize at first glimpse or from the other reviews I see here.
½ September 21, 2014
Great break up movie
½ February 1, 2014
This film had the plot of a woman whose husband wants to forever relive his high school years with his high school crowd, being dumped by said husband because she doesn't fit in with said crowd, and then trying to get over him and have a life. The idea is good, but the acting and execution here are too poor to provide the flick with a little backbone.
½ November 4, 2013
the film in its viewing state could have been fixed with color and filters, the direction is very specific, but note colleen out of all the wives is the only one that feels genuinely bad. look at her expression while she's in the candy shop. another thing is. the writing is spot on. i know too many people that act like mitch's friends. i give it a work in progress in my book, just pick a different camera and get some good lighting.
½ October 12, 2013
I just don't know how to feel about this movie...it was uncomfortable, painful, weird, and I watched the whole thing because I just couldn't NOT watch it.
½ October 3, 2012
The more I thought about this movie after watching it the more angry I became. There are several characters who needed to be seriously maimed and that never happened.
February 3, 2013
This movie is a 5 star movie in every way..this movie is a story about a married couple who move back the husbands home town in Oregon where his old highschool "friends" become a huge part of their lives..Meris (the wife) is forced to fit in with these girls who she has nothing in common with and her husband makes them such a huge part of their lives, every weekend , dinner parties, outings, Meris does not like them or feel they like her, this movie is very real and true to life..I found everything from the acting to the music in this movie remarkable. It is so nice to watch a movie that isn't filled with the boring hollywood actresses where everything is sugarcoated and there's always a happy ending..This movie is by far one of the greatest movies i have seen, even at the end, after Meris has found another bf and has gotten some happiness in her life, there is a scene at the end where she is in her garden, and happy but her thoughts go back to her ex husband and his friends and how they hurt her, the music goes solemn, and soon she shes her friend with the baby and the music goes happy again, How true is that, how real is that..Excellent movie, a deep movie, I can relate to.
March 18, 2013
l love it. It swings no pretense. it is raw. doesn't pretend it has "to be a film" but just is a film. and that is the heart of indie. the film style has no need for hollywood quasi indie hipsterishness, or attitudes or posturing. that is why it is so hauntingly good. it simply presents the story and if you identify with it, and still separate yourself as the viewer, the film remains really disturbing and hilarious. If you don't like it, it is because you identify, you lost your separation from the film as a viewer, and got sucked right up with what it points out in us humans, our weaknesses and petty desires and meanness, and forget it is a movie and it gets right under your skin without you knowing it and bugs the shit out of you. That is the power of a good indie film. Raw. Simple. No bullshit in its seamless delivery of its story's power from screen to viewer's feeling. whether one "likes" or "dislikes" it is irrelevant. what do you feel when a film points out the shit in your closet?
February 11, 2013
Worst movie ever. Please do not watch. Worst everything, actors, editing, music, plot. An overall creepy experience.
½ January 11, 2013
The only thing unbearable about this film are some of the extremely socially awkward situations that the main character, Meris, goes through. This dark comedy was a fun watch and had a very unique directing and editing style to it.
December 29, 2012
I haven't had a movie hit me like this before. Only the movie "Buffalo 66" has intrigued me like this. The ending could have been better,but the story line,soundtrack and the performance of Katie O Grady made the movie over all outstanding. The movie did look like a low budget production,but for some reason,it made you feel as you were in a real room with real people.This movie will strike a nerve with alot of people 'cause social pressure is everywhere and everyone has seen a situation where people have suffered from it. Alot of people will see themselves somewhere in this movie.
½ October 20, 2012
Imagine you're in your late 30s/early 40s and everything you have come to associate with who you are - the reflection you see in the mirror everyday, your marriage, your friends -although here 'friends' doesn't quite fit the label - all these things fall apart and scatter like ashes in the wind. You've hit rock bottom. (I must admit, how the conditions in the life of the heroine came to be in the first place remains a mystery - in other words, the backstory stinks). Rid of Me takes this as its premise and then throws in redemption, which is obviously the predominant theme of the story. At this point, serendipity prevails as several fortunate strands of influence and encouragement coincide to ensure the great reversal takes place without too much interference. For example: she gains the trust and company of a new friend, someone who represents individualism, feminism, and defiance with an aptly chosen persona to fit the role: goth. Goth girl becomes her friends mentor and helps her through tough times until the neophyte attains a full recovery and (more or less) complete metamorphosis from her former self. In the process she discovers the inner strength she never thought she had in order to reinvent yourself. The thought occurs to her that her new group of friends is where she truly belongs, it is who she is, it is who she was all along, she just never realized it. There is much to say in favor of Rid of Me, but there are also quite a few things to say against it. I already mentioned the improbability of the backstory, another problem is the impossibility of such a sequence of events transpiring as they do here. So why have I rated this film as fresh? Well, besides the novelty and originality of the idea itself, I turn to Aristotle for guidance: "With respect to the requirement of art, the probable impossible is always preferable to the improbable possible." It's not for everybody, but it's a worthy endeavor.
November 5, 2012
One of my best suprises of the year,pretty much loved every minute of it.For me,it was very relatable and I fell i love with Katie O'Grady
October 8, 2012
Oddly, I found this movie entertaining. I've read the reviews and I agree with them for the most part. Still, found it entertaining.
October 3, 2012
Engaging performance by the star Katie O'Grady. Quirky "Portlandia"-style indie. Loved the design.
½ September 26, 2012
Sure, adults can be mean, but most of the characters in this movie are caricatures, one-dimensional, unbelievable. Katie O. does a great job. No one else can act. Just because a couple of local "celebs" are in a movie don't make it any better at all. Favorite part (spoiler?): When Storm Large talks about her dead father then immediately says she's "wet" after kissing her ex . . . I imagine Storm, the actress, thinking to herself, "Yeah, this is pretty good, authentic dialogue. I'd say this, sure. Most women I know would, too." And she's a grown woman conspiring with her poetry-delivering mother right after that? Hmm, like in Victorian times? The film work, the music, man. So much was so distracting, but Westby is too talented not to recover from this train wreck.
September 14, 2012
A dark comedy. The lead actress is really cringeworthy, and its no surprise her husband left her for a more rounded model! But she's likable and vulnerable, and that pulls the thing along. Good acting, and some very funny moments made this a great film for me.
September 7, 2012
Really enjoyed this !
½ September 5, 2012
How does a woman that awkward get married in the first place? And to a non-abusive husband at that. I think they should've developed her more before moving out to "Ore'gon" that way we could see her as an normal adult before the mental breakdown that doesn't get featured.