45% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Ride, Rise, Roar Reviews

whosinthenews
whosinthenews

April 30, 2012
I should prelude this by saying the band is superb, the songs sound superb and audio gets a solid 9. However the overall product left me scratching my head too often.
I always have respect for artists who try to push the boundaries of what they do later in their careers, but the problem here is that Ride, Rise, Roar isn't really that different. It's like a karaoke version of Stop Making Sense. The whole premise of the visual experience is dancing, but SMS already had choreographed on-stage dancing. The difference is that it was more natural and uniform and rhythmically in-tempo with the hypnotic music. This film features what look like three Stanford grads spazz dancing for an hour and a half. It doesn't ad any deeper meaning to the melodic or lyrical content. Instead of interpretive dance they might as well have just hired actors to pantomime scenes.
What I think this project forgot was that David Byrne was and will always be the centerpiece, even in the Talking Heads days. This concert concept tries desperately to make you interested in these dancers who get in the way of the only person on stage with actual presence. Stop Making Sense got it right, Byrne danced and everyone else mimicked his movements, creating a giant framework that directed the audience attention perfectly. RRR is an on-stage free-for-all.
June 26, 2011
A great film if you're a David Byrne or a Talking Heads fan.
January 21, 2011
For David Byrne fans great music. For others a great insight into the staging of a show and how the lines between musicians, dancers and choreographers begin to blur as the set moves from rehearsal to performance. Byrne drops the veil on the show but it becomes more interesting as a result. And the music is great!!!