• PG-13, 2 hr. 11 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Riding in Cars with Boys Reviews

Nicki M

January 12, 2008
All time favourite of mine that I have not watched in a long time. Rewatching it was just as good - I love the honesty of this true story and the flaws of Bev, played wonderfully by Drew Barrymore. I know a lot of people do not like it, but a lot of people seem to want everything to be nice all the time, especially in movies, and people aren't like that in real life.
The story is set over about thirty years, starting in the 60's when Bev is a child and going through to the 80's when she is in her 30's. During this time, we see that she was a precocious child with a talent for writing who finds herself pregnant in her teens and married to the father of her son, who is not a guy she probably would have found herself with under normal circumstances. Bev's dreams of going to uni are crushed and her relationship with her father strained as she tries to make a go of her life. Needless to say, she is not the best mum and the issues of resentment towards her child are dealt with very honestly and well. It makes her unlikeable to a lot of people, to me it shows she is human. I don't think you ever seriously doubt that she loved her child, even when she doubts it herself, but certainly there are times that she hasn't liked him, and honestly, I think most people would have felt the same, such as the situation where her son blows her interview for her. Though you do feel sorry for her son, after all none of it is his fault, he is only a child and it seems he has way too much responsibility way before his time, you also feel sorry for Bev as you see yet another dream die for her. (Well, I did anyhow). After all, she was practically a child herself when she became pregnant.
The cast are all excellent here. It was sad to watch Brittany Murphy in this as Fay, Bev's best friend, who also finds herself pregnant and married off at a young age (yet somehow she comes out of it better than Bev does). Brittany was such a good actress and is perfect here. Steve Zahn also excellent as Bev's husband, Ray, who ends up a junkie. Nice small role by Sara Gilbert as one of her school friends and Adam Garcia also cast well as Bev's adult son.
This movie does somehow manage to have a nice ending. I know a few people consider it corny, but I liked it. I liked that things did pick up a little for Bev in the end, and that her son, Jason, found happiness (with a very young Maggie Gyllenhaal. I did not even remember her being in this, which shows how long ago I watched it!), and was able to feel less responsible for his mother. I have not read the book it is based on, so I am not sure how true this is to that, but a really inspiring true story.
Spencer S

March 11, 2010
A very good representation of the not so wedded bliss many mothers went through in low income housing and troublesome husband during the days of teen pregnancies. Nowadays we have an entire cavalcade of shows dedicated to this subject, and so it is very hard to take this story and its subject seriously without being partial. Barrymore, with a bit of class and humor, makes the movie and all its eccentricities not only barely, but great to watch. It's amazing how enjoyable this movie truly was.
thmtsang
thmtsang

September 1, 2007
Drew and Britney are two teenagers who get pregnant and married. The rest of their friends go to college. Drew always wanted to go to college and be a writer. Her husband is a drug addict and she asks him to leave her and their son. She recents her son and they have a strained relationship. Good cast. Based on true story.
Lafe F

July 15, 2007
Here's another great Drew Barrymore movie, about a mother trying to raise her son normal despite social, domestic and economic odds. Amidst the difficulties, Beverly (Drew Barrymore) keeps a good spirit and not let herself be totally crushed. It feels real enough, and manages to entertain and keep a positive light during the awkward events, thanks to a well-written script, Penny Marshall's fun direction, and the great dialogue and performances. I enjoyed watching it.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
I can't remember much about this film. I remember kinda liking it, but not overly in love.
Cassandra M

December 27, 2009
Penny Marshall delivers yet another great drama, this time with the help of Drew Barrymore. The movie is about prenthood, how easy it is to mess it up, and how easy it is to grow up to become your parents. It's an excellent movie in most ways, but primarily it has a good story and some really good acting.

You'll laugh, and you probably will cry, and you might even call your mother. :)

If you have a chance, go through the movie a second time with Drew Barrymores excellent DVD commentary.
Anthony L

September 28, 2009
This is a pretty good film, not the usual chick flick I was expecting. It?s one of Drew Barrymore?s best performances!
SilentWarProductions2009
February 3, 2007
Directed by: Penny Marshall.
Starring: Drew Barrymore, Steve Zahn, Adam Garcia, Brittany Murphy, James Woods.

An odd, but sweet, hilarious and witty film about a woman with a dream to be a writer, but gets pregnant at the age of 15 and struggles through life for years to come (I will not ruin it for people who have not seen it).

But with positives about this film comes the negatives....the film is definitely flawed. It appears that the book this is based on (which is the book written by the character in the film) has been cut down immensely and it shows in scenes that just don't flow and you just have to think that little bit more to stay up with it all, so it does jump around a bit. Also another problem is the pace of the film, at 130 minutes, it feels way to long (can't imagine them adding anymore cut scenes) and I think the main reason with pace in any film is the director. But Drew Barrymore does give a multi dimensional performance, going through 3 stages of life covered in the film and I will also give credit to Steve Zahn as well for a strong performance.

The makeup is also very impressive, making each section in their lives look realistic (Beverley and Ray at ages 15, 22 and in their 30's) and the ending stays strong and adds to the message of the film. Well done.
Rachel F

June 2, 2007
Great movie. Its sad but Drew Barrymore is great.
deano
deano

April 14, 2007
Unbelievable this true story of Beverly Donofrio's life is full of funny story than drama that I really like it.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

February 10, 2007
Well... good drama... The story is meanful.. Even that, this movie is quite boring...
Jason S

Pretty good film.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

March 25, 2010
Drew Barrymore plays Beverley Donofrio, who falls pregnant at 15 years of age and has her dreams of college and becoming a writer shattered. Her father is ashamed and angry with her so she reluctantly marries the baby's father, Raymond Hasek played by Steve Zahn after the attempt to throw herself down the stairs didn't work. Bev still desires to finish high school and attend college but she is forced to put those goals aside because Ray is a heroin junkie who messes up her life from the time she meets him until the time she lets him go. Great acting by Drew Barrymore and Steve Zahn who deliver incredibly realistic performances! All the supporting actors including Lorraine Bracco as Bev's mother, Brittany Murphy as best friend Fay and James Woods playing Bev's disappointed father give really good performances as well .
Mike T

July 19, 2006
This is a film that tries hard to be charming and moving, but it was neither for me. Weakly acted by everyone aside from Zahn, Woods and Bracco and lacking in originality, this is a dull and cliche-ridden drama-comedy.
zeravenyoej
zeravenyoej

August 9, 2007
Drew is adorable, but this is sort of ridiculous. The scenes with her son should never have been filmed. Compared to In Her Shoes, this is an example of a chick flick that does not know its place.
Daniel P

October 23, 2006
Probably Drew Barrymore's best performance so far. Great cast.
Juli R

November 12, 2011
A lot of what happens to you in life is chance. The other half is how it affects you.
Erin C

March 1, 2011
I loved this! It was hilarious and touching. It had its sad moments, but it is one of my new favorites!
Sunil J

August 12, 2007
Drew Barrymore is maybe a little too dark of a mom in this movie based on a memoir but I very much enjoy everyone in this movie.