Riff-Raff Reviews

September 5, 2011
A great slice of life from the king of gritty, Mr. Ken Loach. Ricky Tomlinson steals the show somewhat, the script - particularly his lines are very typical of him but also Loach with a little bit of Mike Leigh thrown in for good measure. This is very much my kind of film and a great example of the fantastic independent films that were being made in London/England in the early 90's. Brilliant stuff!
August 26, 2007
This film is a slow starting one, with very little storyline throughout, it?s billed as a documentary style film, which does come across, but not quite how you?d expect that to be. Something drives this and makes you stay with it, despite it?s lack of excitement, this is a pretty miserable film.
July 23, 2012
Not the true life story of a character from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, Riff-Raff is another worthy addition to the Ken Loach series of working class folks oozing with real dramatics.
January 17, 2015
Brilliant performance by Carlyle in his first film lead.
½ July 19, 2013
An interesting film that really shows what happens to the working class when they have no unions--summary dismissals, low pay and unsafe working conditions. However, the opposite is union corruption and pay and benefits so over priced that the work goes elsewhere. There is no easy solution. This film does make one more aware of the plight of the lower part of the working class existing on the edge of society and their lack of job security. Although supposed to be a comedy and a drama, except for the scattering of the ashes, I found very little that was the comedy part.
½ June 28, 2013
Riff-Raff is a social commentary about unsafe working conditions that effectively shows how it affects the workers and how far they will go to combat it.
½ April 13, 2013
I love Ken Loach (Kes is the best, you simply must watch it so that it will crush your heart in its talons), and I love the premise and philosophy underpinning this movie (how many movies sympathetic to labor came out in the 90s? like none? neoliberalism had its bloody claws in deep by then in both Britain and the US), but there is just something about this movie that makes me yawn myself to death. I like the characters, I like the look, I like the writing, but I've gone back to it maybe a half-dozen times and I just can't watch more than a bit without shutting it off, even when I've picked up where I left off. It's probably because no plot materializes in the first half hour or so, I dunno. Sorry, Ken, it's me, not you :(
½ July 16, 2011
Construction workers are jolly against all odds. Great actors representing their britishness with a variety of accents. A note for all The Big Lebowski fans - it seems that the ash scattering scene has been based on an episode from this film.
½ December 5, 2010
Pretty real. Eleanor was not impressed by the denouement, or the swearing. Robert Carlyle does poor working class with brio. Ken Loach portrays well what IMDB calls 'the working man's struggle against Thatcherism'. Ricky Tomlinson is excellent as the site intellectual. Emer McCourt is cute as the insecure junkie love interest. Above all, it's funny. A good 'un.
May 3, 2010
Thursday April 1, 2010

(1990) Riff- Raff

DRAMA

The film, the Queen of England does not want people to see!! Like some of Mike Leigh's films with it's subtle messages about the low class, this is a no holds barred social commentary film about society with a nice story in the middle. And is also one of the most important British films in movie history about unsafe practices amongst it's citizens. I have no idea how this kind of society is like right now in 2010 but at the time of when this film was made about it's citizens rises alot of questions about not what should be done BUT what has to be done along time ago!!!

This is also one of Robert Carlyle's early film gems before hitting it big with "Trainspotting"!!

4/4