20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Right Stuff Reviews

Christian C

November 11, 2012
The heroes walking under our noses may have been walking on the moon as well. A great history lesson for those jaded in the age of technology. (Gotta admit that "Apollo 13" is betther, though.)
Apeneck F

September 15, 2012
A bit of an interesting history lesson and character study about the beginnings of the American space program. Shepard is iconic as Chuck Yeager, Harris does justice as John Glenn, and Fred Ward lends pathos as Virgil Grissom. A feeling of cowboys looking for the next bronc to break pervades the work.
cosmo313
cosmo313

February 21, 2012
Based on Tom Wolfe's book, this is the story, spanning some 15-6 years about the beginnings of America's space program, focusing on the Mercury 7, but starting with test pilots like Chuck Yeager, who, despite breaking the sound barrier, and being widely considering the best test pilot ever, was not selected to be an astronaut.

The primary focus of the film, and most of the book (from what I've been told) really only scratches the surface, as trying to tell the complete story would take like 10-11 hours or so. But the film uses its 193 minute running time to great effect, contrasting the lives of the men and their wives with the broader spectrum of the political and social contexts of the time. And, being an adaptation of Wolfe, there's also the nice undercurrents of countercultural liberal subversiveness at times.

This is a very well made film, and cinematically yes it is truly amazing. As far as accuracy and history go, well, the film does suffer, and many of the people whose lives were the basis for this were rather critical of the portrayal of the times and events, and even Wolfe was very displeased with how this turned out, but even then, this is still a remarkable and wonderful piece of work, and one of the many great examples of "they don't make 'em like this anymore". And they probably wouldn't be able to either, at least not without some major changes.

That's fine though, because this film does a great job of bringing out a sense of wonder and excitement. These men were real heroes who risked their lives to try to go where no one had gone before, and to try to do it before the Russians, since, at least then, that truly meant something. It really makes you yearn to achieve something great like this, and especially from a relatively low tech perspective. No super advanced computers at that time (being depicted in the film), and no digital technology to tell the film's story with either, so this really makes you appreciate the craft since there's no CGI.

The ensemble cast is very notable here, and they give some terrific performances. To name a few: Fred Ward, Scott Glenn, Sam Shepherd, Dennis Quaid, Ed Harris, Barbara Hershey, Veronica Cartwright, and Pamela Reed. The cinematography is quite excellent, and overall the film really looks and feels as epic as its story. A main reason for this would have to be Bill Conti's rousing score, especially when the brass kick in, really leaving you stirred up.

The film mostly uses it's long running time to great effect, giving tons of development to the characters, letting the story breathe, and keeping things from being even more rushed. That said, it does drag here and there at times, but the film also has a nice balance where tone is concerned, so there's a blend of humor, drama, adventure, etc.

All in all, this is a fine film that, despite iffy history, is cinematically a high water mark for docudramas, and a great look at a wonderful moment in time.
Sanjay R

March 27, 2012
This was a good movie, but had many flaws. There were way too many useless/prolonged scenes that extended the run time to a ridiculous 3hr 13min. That being said, it does have humorous and entertaining moments. It really captures the issues of everyone involved in this risky space mission and does a great job showing the media's influence on these men. Overall it is a decent, but inconsistent movie.
Phil H

October 31, 2011
Based on the book by Wolfe and not liked by the author due to changes made for the film, despite this one cannot look away from this epic adventure following the space race and the many efforts of the US to beat those pesky Russians.

First up the cast, its pretty epic in itself, Quaid, Shepard, Glenn, Harris, Ward, Cartwright, Henriksen, Goldblum, Shearer, Moffat, Hershey and a cameo from Yeager. All perform well but personally I thought Ed Harris was the standout here and really captured that wholesome, heroic, 50's family man of the USA that the public lapped up at the time.

The plot follows the space program and the recruitment of young test pilots to undergo rigorous training to become astronauts for Project Mercury. At the same time the story also follows Chuck Yeager, his high-speed aeronautical flights which included breaking the sound barrier and the snub he got from NASA not being selected for the Mercury programme.

Everything about this film is epic due to the fact its about epic events in our human history, the film is extremely 'God Bless America' of course, the films cover design is bold in red, white and blue, but you can't blame the director for that, this is the US's proud history lets be honest. Most of the film is pretty accurate and does include real footage of actual failed rocket launches and news reel archives/interviews/ceremonies but of course Hollywood being Hollywood there is also much artistic license involved. This doesn't deter from the film as most regular folk won't know the difference but if you read up on the real events you will find issues.

Even though this film was made in 83 the effects are still perfect for the present day, they all hold up extremely well and show what can be done without cgi. Of course you don't see as much as you could with cgi but less is more and what you get with model work, minatures, full size sets and simple lighting tricks works wonders here. The sequences of the astronauts in their capsules orbiting the earth are absolutely perfect and with very little SFX. This too goes for all the inflight sequences with Shepard/Yeager when he flies, the cockpit effects are clearly simple lighting tricks with allot of movement but it looks so real so effective.

Allot of time is spend with the training programme for the Mercury seven before we start to see the missions go ahead, it does build excitement as you watch, like the men portrayed, you wanna see them fly and touch the heavens. All this is interspersed with sequences of Yeager's story and his calm frustration on being left out but his continual push to reach higher attitudes. Shepard's performance here is probably his best as the cool clear headed Yeager, no ego and no over the top 'Top Gun' nonsense.

There are some slow moments yes but anyone should find enjoyment here despite some historical inaccuracies (were the NASA engineers really Germans?) and downplaying. The story of man's efforts and dedication to break barriers, reach new limits, continually to push further and achieve is a proud one, a history lesson, a very important one at that.
Adam K

August 19, 2011
A masterpiece of story telling and film making comes together in 'The Right Stuff'. Telling the story of the first American Mercury astronauts the film is emotional, powerful and witty at times as it hooks you in to a story you already know. Based on Tom Wolfe's brilliant novel of the same name the cast could not have been chosen more perfectly and the script, direction, music and everything else comes together and sticks together perfectly to make a masterpiece of film.
***** 5 Star
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 17, 2011
The Right Stuff is the incredible film about America's Space program. How the government of the U.S recruited the best pilots to helm the Mercury space program. The film covers quite a bit and starts off at Chuck Yeager breaking the speed of sound in the X-1. The right Stuff is a thrilling drama film that will please history buffs. The film is superbly acted with a great cast of actors, and they all deliver on screen. The film is well paced, and well directed and does a great job at covering the first big step of America to conquer space. This is a phenomenal film that is a classic and is a must see for people who are fascinated with the space program. Director Philip Kaufman has crafted a solid picture with a great cast. What I love about The Right Stuff is the combination of drama, adventure and comedy. Theres a bit of comedy here and it works well. The Right Stuff is a well crafted film that definitely is exhilarating with wondrous adventure. The Right Stuff is an epic film about the early years of the conquest of space, and its a film that equally entertaining as it is is interesting. If you love films like Apollo 13, then give this one a view. A very good thrill ride with a superb story of the first Americans in space. The Right Stuff is an excellent film and is a must see film.
Jens S

July 2, 2006
The story of the pioneers of supersonic aviation and the first group of American astronauts of the Mercury program told on a really great scale. The 3 hour movie takes its time to introduce its multiple characters, which turns out to be one of its major assets as it progresses. Especially the training scenes are extremely amusing, while the really exciting flight sequences are sometimes mixed with original footage and the effects still look pretty great almost 30 years later. The cast is outstanding with many now famous faces taking their first very convincing steps in their earliest roles. In all, an extremely interesting, touching and exciting history lesson and a damn fine movie.
rubystevens
rubystevens

November 2, 2007
there was a demon that lived in the air...fairly accurate historical epic of the space race that's also alot of fun. a great adventure film
Tim S

June 8, 2009
I wish Philip Kaufman would have a resurrection. He should watch this film and Unbearable Lightness of Being and realize what a talented filmmaker he is. I was really surprised at how entertaining this film was. I was expecting a fact based drama about space (which would have been fine), but instead I got a multi faceted character study of some fascinating people in extraordinary situations. The entire cast is spot on amazing, but Sam fucking Shepard is worth the price of admission. Great film.
Summer W

September 2, 2008
It does run a bit long (my fiancee was bored and wanted to go to sleep), but personally I found it quite engrossing. I highly recommend it to any history buff who has particular interest in the origins of the US space program. Great cast, great music!
Ross C

August 19, 2007
A comprehensive and historically accurate docu-drama about the cutting-edge of US aviation during the Cold War era. From breaking the sound barrier to the first space missions the story follows the lives of the test pilots and the Mercury Seven. Plenty of recognizable faces and some amazing scenes but at over three hours long it's in desperate need of some editing. So you may find the story a bit slow, unless like me you are fascinated by this era in history - it's Air & Space magazine in the form of a movie!
Aaron N

June 10, 2006
John Glenn: I'm tired of being forthright, gracious and magnanimous.
Gordon Cooper: Yeah.
John Glenn: I'm tired of these stupid questions from the press.
Gordon Cooper: mm-hmm
John Glenn: I'm tired of smocks, I'm tired of engineers telling us what we can't do, I'm tired of everybody that says we are not pilots!
Gordon Cooper: You tell 'em, John.
John Glenn: I'm tired of monkeys.
Alan Shepard: Yeah.
John Glenn: And most of all, I am sick and tired of being second to those... those darn Russians!
Gus Grissom: There ya go.
John Glenn: Now I think it's about time we...
Wally Schirra: - got someone up there!
[the others voice their approval]
John Glenn: Let's f-f-f...
Gus Grissom: Fuckin' A, bubba.
John Glenn: That's right! Exactly!

Here is the story about jet pilots, the beginnings of the space age, and the first astronauts. It's an adventure film, a historical drama, a social commentary, and even has elements of satire all combined into an entertaining film clocking in at just over three hours.

Just like Apollo 13 and 2007's documentary In the Shadow of the Moon, I enjoyed this movie because not only is it exciting and well made, it brings back the excitement I use to have when dealing with anything concerning our exploration of space and the technology we develop to reach it.

This movie starts off when pilots were still trying to break the sound barrier. This is achieved by none other than Chuck Yeager, played wonderfully by Sam Shepard. Yeager was basically a cowboy of jet pilots. A former war hero, who now constantly went to test planes, even when these pilots suffered a high mortality rate.

This story jumps forward to Russia's success in putting Sputnik into space, leading to the USA going in to recruit some pilots to put into space themselves.

This leads to the seven test pilots chosen to become astronauts. Among them there is John Glenn, Alan Shepherd, Gus Grissom, and Gordon Cooper, all played by Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Fred Ward, and Dennis Quaid. We get to know these men and their wives as they struggle to reach space and become successful in their own eyes, as they are already heroes to Americans due to the press.

Chuck Yeager: Monkeys? You think a monkey knows he's sittin' on top of a rocket that might explode? These astronaut boys they know that, see? Well, I'll tell you something, it takes a special kind of man to volunteer for a suicide mission, especially one that's on TV.

The movie devotes its time to almost all the aspects surrounding the Mercury Space Program, cleverly weaving special effects and stock footage within the film to make it have an authentic feel, especially for its time.

We are also given few segments in between showing us Yeager, who was never chosen to be an astronaut, even though all the pilots consider him to be the best.

The movie is long, but never unbearable. Something is always happening, the movie plays very well due to its actors, the great score from Bill Conti, and how well made it is.

This is a great film about the first bunch of guys that got to go into space.

Alan Shepard: Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up.
Gordon Cooper: I didn't quite copy that. Say again, please.
Alan Shepard: I said everything's A-OK.
Ken S

May 6, 2007
Ever since I was a little boy I wanted to be a spaceman...this movie is why.
garyX
garyX

March 25, 2007
A well made and worthy tale of the american space program that's got a great ensemble cast and fascinating topic, but GOD it's long...
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 1, 2007
under rated
John B

February 25, 2014
Unlike the overkill in From the Earth to the Moon, the Right Stuff has it down to just the right lengthy length. Three hours is good for a voyage with these dynamic men who took great risks to travel into space.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

June 2, 2012
"I need the right stuff, baby, this evenin'!" I'm sorry, but I just had to do that, just like when I reviewed "Moon", an astronaut film starring Sam Rockwell and directed by David Bowie's son, I practically had no other choice than to say, "Ground control to Major Sam" and how when I eventually review "Armageddon", a very stupidly rock and roll moon film, I'm going to try and crowbar in "Armageddon It". Shockingly, it appear as though the Moon is a very musical place, or at least it should be, because I'd imagine being on is boring without some tunes. Yeah, being trapped billions of miles from civilization, on a giant rock in the black vacuum of space, which can explosively decompress your lungs if just one thing messes up in either your helmet or suit; it doesn't get any more boring that insufferable claustrophobia. This film is right, if you're going to do something as insanely dangerous as that for the sake of science, then man, you need "the right stuff"... baby, this evening. Seriously though, it would appear as though "Philip" Kaufman is the real "man on the moon", and I must say, sorry Andy, but I like it that way, because the boy seems to have the right stuff to take on a project like this. Now, whether or not he has the right stuff to make these three hours go on without getting to be too much after a while, well, I'm going to have to say not so much.

The film suffers a tad from an ever so occasional uneven focus, paying too much attention on one subplot, only to rather jarringly slip into another out of nowhere. These jarring transition isn't helped by the fact that the over focus is supplemented considerably through padding, either by repetition or, most of all, excess, superfluous material. There's not much epic sweep to this sprawling film, though there is much filler and over exposition as we witness the hardly abriged and surprisingly hardly layered progress in this very talk-driven central mission, with a fair couple of cliches within the story making the progression more bumpy. Still, at the end of the day, the central problem with the film is that it is just so very slow. It's not nearly tedious; in fact, the film is rarely all that dull, yet the film remains rather sluggish in its very steady progression, and that alone makes the film rather underwhelming, let alone when it goes plagued by an uneven tone, losing oomph and gaining it back in such inorganic fashions that, after a while, not even the more oomphy parts hit all that hard. Much like some of the test rockets, this film launches strong, only to slow down considerably until it finds itself running the risk of becoming an unrewarding venture, yet where those rockets sputtered and wrecked, this film carries on, never quite living up to the promises made by the strong beginning and concept, yet still carrying enough of its own right stuff to carry on and hit considerably more than miss.

It would appear as though, for a while, if you wanted your film to look reasonably handsome for the most part, with a few show-stopper shots of beauty, then Caleb Deschanel was a go-to guy, for although the cinematography, on the whole, is not terrible stunner, it's consistently handsome, with a couple of shots that really stop you cold. Still, it's not just the look of the film that engages, as the feel for the film is also an engrossing one. Sure, the film rarely punches on an emotional level, yet it is with relentless charm, powering this film during its slower, less eventful moments, while still leaving room to not drown out the fascinating intrigue of factuality. However, when depth does come into play, Philip Kaufman truly accels in a kind of meditative grace that really drives home and enthralls with dramatic depth and intrigue that really extracts the humanity and heroism of this story in an engrossing fashion. Sadly, these glowing moments remain underused, yet the film still always has that charm to run back, and does so with the help of quite the colorful cast that really does have the right stuff to carry this picture. Sure, dramatic material for the performers are, much like the dramatic material within the film, few and far between in presence, yet when they do come into play, our cast of sharp talents predictably provide a humanly strong presence, if not a degree of emotional range. Still, where those impacting moments of excellent acting hit the scene on occasion, charisma is constant among the cast, with each person delivering a colorful and distinctive performance that, when married in atmosphere with the others, create remarkable chemistry that defines the film's defining humanity and leaves the film consistently resonant, as well as stylish and fascinating.

In the end, the film hits its cliches and lapses in tone and, ever so occasionally, focus, with padding and over exposition to make worse the slowness which, in it of itself, serves supplementary to the film's ultimate misstep of underwhelmingness throughout long periods of time, yet where the film could fallen as simply that, underwhelming, handsome style that, at times, serves supplementary to the sobering atmosphere that creates the occasional, yet worth waiting for piece of sharp emotional resonance to break up consistent charm, complimented by a slew of charismatic and, at times, emotional performances, thus leaving "The Right Stuff" to land smoothly as a fascinating, charming and sometimes emotionally rewarding study on the early days of the pilots of space.

3/5 - Good
Jeffrey M

September 25, 2011
The Right Stuff succeeds in the way it gives each character proper attention, making it a truly fine ensemble piece. You can't go wrong with Sam Shepard, Dennis Quaid, Scott Glenn, and Ed Harris. It also takes a very expansive take on the evolution of the space program, and it largely works. It does have its' faults though, especially in its' overly long running time, which isn't wrong in and of itself, but there was at least a half hour that could have been cut without compromising the integrity. The way it is, it has a strong exposition, a mixed second act, but a very powerful last act. Also worth mentioning is the excellent cinematography.
Tecnoandre
Tecnoandre

December 25, 2009
In 1947, a group of determined men gathered at a remote Air Force base in the high desert of California. Their goal was to break the sound barrier by using a small rocket-powered test plane called the X-1. The only problem was that others had tried before, and not all had survived. Some thought of the sound barrier as a "demon that lived in the sky", waiting to destroy any who dared confront it.

A young wartime ace with a wild reputation named Chuck Yeager (Sam Shepard) volunteers to fly the X-1, and spends the night before his flight at the local bar. After a few drinks, he and his wife go galloping off on their horses through the twilight, but a tree branch catches Yeager across the chest, knocking him off the horse and cracking a few ribs. Hiding his injury from the flight crew the next morning, Yeager climbs painfully into the plane and prepares to confront the sound barrier "demon".

The little X-1 is carried aloft by a large B-29 bomber, then at the right altitude the X-1 is dropped free. Yeager ignites the rocket engine and quickly zooms up into the sky, going faster and faster, closing in on the deadly Mach-1 mark. The plane begins to vibrate, then shake, with Yeager fighting the controls. Suddenly, there is a strange boom, heard by the crew waiting on the ground, and everyone fears that the sound barrier has claimed another life. A moment later, they are suprised to hear Yeager's calm voice crackle over the radio. "Make a note here would you?" he asks. "This Mach-meter must be busted. It's jumped clear off the scale." Amazed, then jubilant, they realize that Yeager has done it. The sound barrier had been broken.

The desert airbase, now called Edwards, quickly becomes the center for all test and experimental aircraft in the U.S., and every hot-shot jet-jockey looking for a chance to become famous gravitates there. A few years pass, and one such pilot, Gordo Cooper (Dennis Quaid) can't wait to take a crack at becoming "the best pilot anyone ever saw." He finds Edward already packed with others like himself, with Yeager still at the top of the pyramid.

Unforseen events halfway around the world change everything for these test pilots. The Communists launch Sputnik, and suddenly everything is focused on the race for space. Looking for the first American astronauts, representatives from the newly formed NASA visit Edwards. Cooper sees a chance to stand out from the crowd and volunteers, along with his friends Gus Grissom (Fred Ward) and Deke Slayton (Scott Paulin). Other pilots, such as Alan Shepard (Scott Glenn) from the Navy, and John Glenn (Ed Harris) a Marine flyer, also answer the call.

Tested to exhaustion, the astronaut candidates are slowly weeded out, leaving a mere seven men as the handpicked group that will lead America into space. Basking in their glory, they are stunned to hear that the Soviets have beaten them again, launching the first man into space. Chagrined, they must now play catch-up with the Russians, and Alan Shepard is chosen to be the first American astronaut.

Strapped into his capsule early on the morning of the launch, he waits patiently while ground control works its way through an endless series of glitches. Shepard's flight was supposed to be a short 15-minute loft into space, and he's been waiting on the pad for hours. Feeling the call of nature, Shepard is forced to "do it in the suit", much to the embarrassment of ground control. However, once he's relieved himself, he demands that they get on with it and fire the rocket. "I'm cooler than you are, so let's light this candle!" Everyone holds their breath, and the button is pushed.

Shepard's rocket ignites, and quickly climbs into the sky. Subjected to tremendous stress during the launch and then the fall back to Earth, he survives the flight and is picked up by the waiting helicopter. America has its first astronaut.

Gus Grissom is next and his flight goes well, but during the recovery the hatch on his capsule is blown off, and when the sea floods in Grissom nearly drowns. No one believes his claim that there was a fault in the system, and he's denied the hero's welcome afforded Shepard. The Russians make yet another bold move, placing a second man into orbit while the Americans struggle with short sub-orbital flights. Decisive action is needed, and John Glenn is chosen for the next American mission.

An unreliable rocket is chosen to launch Glenn into orbit, and the country watches as the risky flight progresses. Thankfully, Glenn's capsule makes it into orbit, and everyone draws a sigh of relief. Soon however, trouble develops, and there is a serious doubt that the capsule's heat shield will protect Glenn during re-entry. Without it, he'll be incinerated. Facing the fact that there's nothing he can do but try, Glenn fires his retros and begins to fall back through the atmosphere at 18,000 miles per hour. As the heat builds up around the capsule, his radio link to the ground is blanked out, and all they can do is wait. Minutes tick by as Glenn tears through the super-heated air. Amazingly, he survives, and American can finally claim they have at last matched the Russians in the space race.

Back at Edwards, events have bypassed Chuck Yeager. No one cares about high altitude flight or Mach-speed records now, eveyone is talking about spacemen. In one more record-setting attempt, Yeager takes a specially modified F-104 Starfighter up in a dangerous high-altitude flight. Zooming through the stratosphere once more, he pushes his plane to the limit, climbing higher and higher, pushed to a record altitude by the rocket in the tail. The sky around him grows dark as he approaches the edge of space.

Suddenly the engine begins to stall. The air is too thin and the jet can't keep running at this height. The plane slows as alarm lights flash on the control panel. Yeager looks out at the dark sky around him, and for a moment he can see the stars twinkling just out of reach; he is almost there. But the plane lurches, and begins to fall. There's no control, no power, no way to recover. Yeager is in a deadly flat spin.

Spiraling down faster and faster, Yeager struggles to get his craft under control, but as he nears the ground, he must either eject or crash. Pulling the ejection control, his seat is fired out of the doomed plane, but the small rocket in the ejection seat has ignited his flight suit, and he plummets through the clouds, trailing smoke as the flames burn up into his helmet.

On the ground, the crash truck lumbers out over the flat desert towards the crashed plane. The recovery crew fully expects to find Yeager's smashed body in the wreckage, but something off in the distance catches their eye, and they turn towards it. As they draw closer, the shape becomes Yeager, his face badly burned, calmly walking towards them. He has survived once again.

As the last of the Mercury-7 astronauts perpares for his flight into space, the ground controllers hear snoring over the microphone in the capsule. Gordo Cooper is finally getting his chance to prove he has "the right stuff", but first they have to wake him up. Laughing, they continue the countdown, and Cooper rides the rocket into space, setting records for the longest space flight to date, and proving, if only for a short time, that he is "the greatest pilot anyone ever saw."