21% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Righteous Kill Reviews

Anthony L

June 13, 2013
Oh. We wait years for a proper Pacino and DeNiro film and this is it? And this is the same Jon Avnet who directed Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe? Really? Well Pacino and DeNiro are ok, they can play stereotype quite well but I don't blame any of this film's nonsense on them, in fact they do a great job of a bad script and an even worse idea. It was pretty predictable as well, so even the big twist was a bit shambolic. I do hope the two actors work together again, I just hope it's with the right director and with the best script/story.
Clintus M.
Clintus M.

September 23, 2011
Righteous Kill is an average police mystery/thriller, terribly disappointing considering the two acting giants who star in it. I always like Carla Guginio and John Lequizamo too, but they don't add much here. So, all these actors have done impressive work before, but director Jon Avnet doesn't get much done here. There is some intensity, but its all clichéd and formulaic. Really, is this the best everyone could do? I enjoyed watching Pacino and DeNiro (Rooster and Turk?) together, but RK doesn't compare to Heat, much less Godfather II. This is essentially a bigger budget episode of Law and Order.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

March 17, 2011
ok...a pair of seasoned cops, Turk (Robert De Niro) and Rooster (Al Pacino) are on the case when a serial killer with a vigillante streak starts bumping off bad guys in New York City.They team up with younger detectives Perez and Riley and assisted by crime scene specilist Karen Corelli they work to uncover the killers identity with little more to go on than a poem left as a calling card at the scene of each crime.
has an obvious twist~!
Matt G

February 13, 2011
I thought it would be good, haven't seen them together since Heat. So I had extremely high expectations. This movie sucked. The acting was on top but it's terrible story can't save it.

Grade: D
Dean !

September 7, 2008
An average film that has been over criticized because it features two great actors rarely seen together in a film. They do ok with the performances but the film is a bit predictable about half way through. It could have been quite a good serial killer film with a different twist to the norm, but by trying to tell you who the killer is right away kinda spoiled what could have been a much better film. It's not worth comparing to Heat, one that's much better obviously but it's a different kind of cop film to this. Just ok overall......but people expect more.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

November 4, 2010
I think the miss here was the story. It wasn't a completely bad premise, just not well executed. The best part was the end. I thought it was well acted and all but eh. Won't remember it, won't watch it again.
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 2, 2008
While it's nice to see De Niro and Pacino in their third film together (but only the second one where they share screentime), the reunion is really disappointing. They are onscreen a lot together here, but the material just sucks. Maybe it's better to have them be in a movie together where they don't have much time with one another, but the material is far better. I think that's probably (and unfortunately) the best way to do it since it is both logistically and financially difficult to get either one of these guys to do a movie nowadays, let alone one together, especially where money is concerned. You'd think Hollywood would get that, but no. They care more about hype and selling tickets than producing something amazing. Thank God HEAT actually was a brilliant piece of work. In all honesty though, as great as it is to see them together, maybe it's just better to dream about such a thing happening, instead of it actually taking place (with the exception of HEAT).

Pacino and De Niro actually do give good perforances here, despite the material. How their performances rank compared to their respective filmographies leaves a lot to be desired, but overall, they've each given worse performances in other movies. The rest of the cast is kinda the same way. Not bad work, just mediocre stuff to work with.

I'm okay with plot twists, but the red herring here (and the big twist) really force you to suspend a lot of disbelief...moreso than I can buy really. I won't get into it, but I find it hard to believe that, aside from the red herring and the film's epilogue, that these two guys would solely be known by their nicknames. I think the main problems with why this film is a disappointment are the screenwriter and the director. Neither guy is all that good, Quality actors (and that includes the supporters, too) deserve better stuff and directors to guide them, especially in a film like this with so many notables.

If these Bobbay and Al ever do another film together, let's just hope it's better than this mess. I'm sure people thought lighteing would strike again by having these two team up again, but sadly, even the Earth barely moves, and that's a shame.
Mark W

June 12, 2010
Robert De Niro & Al Pacino in another film together? You beauty! We are in for a real treat.
Actually, we're not in for a treat. We're in for one of the most dire, most abysmal, most predictable pieces of nonsense, your likely to see.
I have never been so disappointed with a film in my entire life. How can anything with these two great actors working together, be bad? Here's how...the screenplay is an absolute mess with a so-called twist that's apparent very early on and two actors who, by the looks of it, know they have nothing to work with. Added to this, it's all in the hands of director Jon Avnet, who is an incompetent buffoon and relies completely on the two great actors carrying him. To be fair, the fact that 50 Cent was in the cast should have been warning enough.
A real waste of a great opportunity to create something special. Ultimately, it's just a straight to T.V. turkey with nothing Righteous about it.
Red L

May 30, 2010
Robert De Niro and Al Pacino as veteran cops hunting a serial killer. It was OK - not the best. They may be big stars, but they are showing their age. Plus the story left a bit to be desired.
Lewis C

September 11, 2008
Righteous Kill is utterly pointless, and as a result, it's pretty dull, too. The average person will take about five to ten minutes to realize what's going on, and after that it's an hour and a half of just waiting. This movie is seriously beneath most of the people involved in it. I hope they got paid very well, at least.

The ending is emotionally shallow, completely expected and drags on way longer than it needed to. The biggest surprise was how much time they could ring out of the finale, it just kept going and going. There are much better cop stories on the tv shows that come on ABC or CBS on any given night. It's annoying to see a movie reaching so hard to draw some kind of emotional reaction from the viewer. Child molestation, sexual assault, sob stories; no stone is left unturned in an effort to get the audience to care about at least one of these paper-thin character. Sorry, no success.
Al S

January 26, 2008
It's a knockout. A complete powerhouse of a thriller that laced with suspense, a great cast and explosive action. A tremendous, thrilling, intelligent and sensational film. It is always entertaining with enough action, drama and surprises to keep you satisfied. It's spellbinding, adrenaline-pumping, breathtaking and exhilarating all the way through to the end. Absorbing, dark, cold, compelling, intensely gripping, hard-edged and riveting. Well-paced, well-crafted, terrifically written and superbly performed by it's very talented cast. Powerful, extraordinary and unforgettable. Absolutely incredible, heart-pounding and spectacular. Al Pacino and Robert De Niro are magnificent, brilliant, compelling and have never been better. Just amazing performances by two amazing actors. It's awesome to see these guys take the screen together again. Their chemistry is brilliant, they have style, humor and attitude. You couldn't ask for a better match up. Where in Heat, they were squaring off, we got only a taste of them being in a few scenes together, where as here they own every scene they are in. A masterpiece. Director, Jon Avnet's best film yet. A fantastic and excellent film that will keep you on the edge of your seat. One of the best police thrillers in years.
Lady D

July 22, 2007
Like a lot of De Niro and Pacino fans, I had anticipated the relase of this film, but was slightly put off by the low ratings it appeared to get here on Flixster.

So we had The Godfather Part 2 where De Niro/Pacino were in the same film, but were from different eras and so did not appear in the same scenes together. We then had Heat where they are both in the same film, but share only one scene together and now a film where they work side by side as police Detectives together.

Yes granted the film was a little built up for the above reasons and so caused for some negative reviews, but perhaps the negative reviews helped me to see this film without huge expections.

Well firstly De Niro did out act Pacino in my opinion, although it wasn?t either of these guys' best performance. It?s hard to say too much about this film without giving too much away, needless to say I enjoyed the conclusion of the film which really lifted the rating for me.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
If you have a standard when it comes to Al Pacino, Robert De Niro or both like I do, this movie was sort of a disappointment. It wasn't a bad movie, it was just in the category of mediocre. The script is not exactly original and it tends to fall under the thriller cliche's. It's really too bad because there were some great performances fighting to break free, but were constricted by the script.
Coxxie M

August 6, 2009
fitty takes away one star
Michael G

July 22, 2007
When I initially saw the trailer for Righteous Kill I knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't think it was going to be this bad. Robert DeNiro got through his role with a furrowed brow and some grumpiness while Al Pacino coasted through the movie with mostly vacant stares and some vague charm. But all I really saw were dollar signs in both sets of eyes. The story was the very definition of weakness (two of the greatest American actors ever and this is all we can find for them? This is like getting Stephen Hawking a job at a science museum gift shop!) and by the time the twist came around all I could respond with was a lackluster "ooh." Aside from Carla Gugino the only other thing I can give Righteous Kill was the scene where DeNiro kicked the shit out of 50 Cent and the part where Pacino... well,. see for yourself if you've absolutely got to see Righteous Kill. The supporting cast was good enough and the chemistry between Donnie Wahlberg and John Leguizamo was pretty good, unlike the movie. I think the director was either suffering from too many chromosomes or was getting bullied by his producers, who had to be thinking that DeNiro and Pacino were going to carry this steaming turd to the bank. If you Google the words "total waste" or "complete shame" Righteous Kill is bound to show up.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 19, 2008
i actually really enjoyed this movie!! it keep me on the edge of my seat and on tenderhooks throughout the movie as it keeps you guessing right till the end! De niro and pacino are two of the best actors alive and although this may not by the best movie they certainly are the best on top form in this movie!!
Really worth a watch and enjoy!
they are trying to find a poet killer who eventually kills 14 people but they are all badguys soon they start to suspect that its former cop who is doing and then strong evidence is leading to Robert do niros character but something isnt adding up!
this movie is fantastic and really intirguing!
Alexander W

April 24, 2009
Big Actors filling big shoes. New generation 21st century movie. Good family cop film. De Niro and Pacino have a good chemistry.
movieguru12
movieguru12

September 5, 2008
Fairly good Pacino and De Niro movie. Would reccomend it to fans. AWSOME!
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 21, 2009
Pacino and DeNiro , what can one say bad about these two guys, nothing. We will shortly lose 2 of the finest modern day actors. This movie presented no challenge to me as to the ending plot, I guessed it about 35 minutes into it. In there younger days this would have been a 5 star but we have come a long way from Serpico. Its a good film but I will not buy it to add to my huge collection till I come across it in a pawn shop. But it still earns 3 1/2 stars.
DerekA101
DerekA101

March 18, 2009
"Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun."

Righteous Kill marks the monumental reunion of two cop, thriller, gangster movie ICONS in Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro. Unfortunately for all of us, Michael Mann's no where to be seen. For what it's worth, Jon Avnet had big shoes to fill and HUGE expectations... and sadly neither were met here. But Righteous Kill by no means is a disaster. It has a fairly typical plot about two partner NYPD cops who are chasing a killer who targets high profile criminals. All signs point to a cop as the killer.

Pacino and DeNiro are strong together, and they share the camera faithfully. They have great chemistry, but I think they are more entertaining as arch-nemesis rather than buddies.

Carla Gugino was smokin' hot....

The directing of the film is a little stale, but it's still entertaining. Although the plot is a little formulaic, there are some nice twists throughout that keep you engaged.

This is no Heat, but Righteous Kill is still a very entertaining popcorn thriller if you temper your expectations.

"Dirty Harry said there's nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot."