Ringu 0

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Ringu 0 Reviews

Kylie B

March 11, 2007
More of a supernatural drama than anything else. It's a valiant effort to fit the film storyline to the storyline of the novels, but to be honest I'm not sure it worked all that well. As much as I hate to admit it, I found it rather dull for the most part.

I'm not surprised Sadako's so pissed off.
Cassandra M

September 5, 2008
Ringu0 is haunting and beautiful. It's definatly the most seriously dramatic and passionate of the ring films. Saadako is represented as a person here with a dark side. But also a wanting side that wants to be forgiven and accepted and most importantly loved for her uncontrollable actions. Their are strong performances and the a vivid and secret spouting storyline that makes you look at each film completely different. In an age of mindless sequels Ring 0 is a perfect film. It balances horror with beauty and love with hate. The film is as much a tear jerker as a screamer. And the true story of what happened will stay with you!
Edward B

April 19, 2008
I loved this film. It plays like a Greek tragedy that makes you really sympathize with Sadako. She wasn't always an unstoppable killing machine. Not only that, it has two scares that would surely go down in my top-ten best horror movie moments of all time.
nuheart
nuheart

December 25, 2006
Incomprehensible.
garyX
garyX

November 24, 2006
A very stylish horror film with some great imagery, but I was expecting more...the build up of tension and suspense is tangible but let down by an unsatisfying ending. Just seeing a bunch of people keeling over for no reason in a copse seemed hugely anti-climactic to me...
Michael M.
Michael M.

June 18, 2010
I'm not a huge fan of horror films, except for a few exceptions: movies about disturbed children, like Children of the Corn; zombie films, which have really become a genre all to themselves; and J-horror. Not sure why these exceptions exist, but they do, and it's the inclusion of the J-horror exception that led me to the Ring cycle. The first film, Ringu, was an excellent entry in the genre, with a bizarre premise, creepy atmosphere, and genuine scares. Unfortunately the prequel, Ring 0: Birthday (the subtitle of which is never explained), simply isn't scary, necessary, or even all that interesting.

If you don't know the premise of the Ring films, it is about a curse in which the a disturbing video tape causes its viewer to die a week later. This film is set 30 years before the events of Ringu, with the origin of the creator of the curse. Sadako, the antagonist of the first film, is now an innocent and beautiful 19 year-old member of a theater troupe. We get to see her before she became the evil entity we know and love, with her role of a simple girl who loves acting and is falling in love with another member of the troupe. It's interesting to see...for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately this is the first hour of the movie. Stringed throughout are mentions of tapes with odd sounds, the whole troupe being cursed, and the existence of a second Sadako, but none of these elements have enough done with them to have them either make sense or be scary; would have been nice to have one of the two.

The film does pick up in the last half-hour with the part of the story anyone who has seen Ringu already knows. However, while it is good, it's really not in any way necessary, since anyone watching it probably already knows the events that inevitably unfold. While it is interesting to see it from Sadako's point of view, making the story more tragic than it already was, it's still not needed. Unnecessary prequels can work, like in the case of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, if they are entertaining enough, and bring enough new material to the table. Ring 0 fails on this account in that the only new material brought forth isn't very interesting.

I think a better approach to this concept would have been exploring the entirety of Sadako's life, rather than this small chunk, or extending it into how the curse was developed. What we get instead isn't horrible, but it is very disappointing. I like the idea of Sadako's origin story, but the execution misses the mark. It gets points for trying, and for providing a good final 30 minutes, but overall it's not a necessary view.
Anthony V

May 25, 2007
Better than 2. Not as good as the first.
Christopher B

April 2, 2008
Interesting cross between Carrie and The Ring. I liked the way they kept Sadako both creepy and scary though the film does take a while to pick up steam. Also, it's one of the few films I recall where I really hoped just about everyone dies.
May 1, 2009
At times still creepy, Ringu 0 essentially moves us through the story of how Sadako developed from her beginnings as a mere outcast and psychic young woman to her later status as a vengeful spirit. While the film lacks the scares and creepy aura of the original, it is still a fun and bizarre adventure into the background of these characters.
November 3, 2010
I have to note that I'm pretty much alone in my opinions of this film, so take that into consideration as you read; most others find this film to be akin to a horror-film Second Coming.

The sequel/prequel that's meant to sketch in Sadako's life pre-well is just a ton of wankery to me. I just couldn't care about anything in the film, as I know that no matter what they show me, it still ends with (SPOILERS) her being thrown into a well to become an evil force that kills via a video-tape in the films we've already seen. Plus the idea of ret-conning her as a helpless young girl who is eventually twisted into the villain we know just further complicating something that doesn't NEED it.

Pass, unless you're a completist.
RicC
June 10, 2009
Worst in the series, and one of the worst horrors I've seen, producing no scares whatsoever. This is a really terrible series which, high production value or not, would've been a bad movie experience altogether. The supernatural theme is rarely applied, and when it is it's in poor quality. It's more a badly acted, overlong dramatic pseudo horror really. Was I expecting too much from the series, or were they released straight to DVD or something?
Ken D

October 17, 2009
I really tried to like this movie, but I just couldn't get into it or care at all about the characters. The movie is so slow and it really makes me not want to watch it. It doesn't get really interesting until the last half hour and than I just don't care. The story of Sadako could have been very interesting.
June 3, 2007
Interesting and original story, if shaky and hard to follow. It's a little confusing how this is supposed to fit into the canon of the other movies, but maybe it's because I watched the first one so long ago. If you're going to watch these, try to watch them close together to maximize the continuity of the plot.
Vincent T

November 1, 2008
I watched this movie was ridiculous filled with question marks and plot holes. I understand that its not supposed to be as scary as the others due to it being the prequel but come on. If you find a 19 year old girl with long hair who side steps and cracks her back a few times scary then this is for you. Screaming in a forrest? what? randomly dying? what? The only reason this movie gets 2 stars is for its sinister grinning reminiscent of The Grinch's played by jim carry. oher han that. it takes for ever for the movie to reach its end which is also very very annoying.
soulxside
January 23, 2008
First of all - the fact that it's called "Ringu" in the US is racist and annoying...

As for the film - this one was a piece of shit... it's a boring prequel that basically ruins the backstory and mystique of the original. Just stay away from this complete failure of a film. I have known some people who liked it as a bit of a documentary or something, but I just found it relentlessly dull.
peterxgunn
September 14, 2007
great! watch this then ringu and then resurection (after dark horror fest) for a perfect sat night with the sig. other
July 5, 2007
There's parts of this I really got into, but unfortunately there's a lot of issues with it, particularly in the film's design and the very pointless "sidestory" stuff to the characters. It needed a bit more focus.
Happinessxx
June 5, 2007
WOW, this one is crazy.. It's the Japenese one.. And, the american remake isn't as freaky.. However.. you might have to get the captioned one
May 2, 2014
Pretty average fare for a horror film!
February 22, 2014
Confusing and (hate to say it) rather dull, prequel to Ringu (The Ring).