Box Office Guru Wrapup: Rio Debuts On Top

Summary

In what was expected to be a close race, the animated birds of Rio trounced the 10-years-in-the-waiting horror sequel Scream 4 while holdovers were a mixed bag. Back to Article

Comments

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Rio must be better than the critics keep saying. I guess I'm going to be seeing it really soon. It may even be good enough for an Academy Award nom.

Apr 17 - 04:02 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Rio looks cute, and Scream 4 looks like a great time at the movies, but before I see either of those my top priority is STILL to get out and see Source Code. With the big summer season just around the corner, I feel required to see it before other films pull my interest away (Hangover Part II, Kung Fu Panda 2). Anyone else have early summer movies they're waiting on?

Apr 17 - 04:08 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

The two you mentioned, Thor, Pirates, First Class, and Super 8, which is tops on my list for the 1st half of summer. Priest could either be dumb fun or just plain dumb.

Apr 17 - 05:44 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I don't know. I thought Priest didn't look bad at all from the preview and Paul Bettany can certainly bring it if he doesn't choose a complete clunker of a script. I got kinda a judge dredd feel from the preview and I always felt that movie was a missed opportunity. I think if Priest can avoid a few of the obvious mistakes Dredd did it could be a surprise.

Apr 17 - 06:48 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Now Dylan Dogg, that could be dumb fun. Hopefully in a good way. I'm rooting for Brandon Routh on that one.

Apr 17 - 07:02 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

I hope you're right on that one, the trailer was appealing on a fun level, but it could very well end up being this year's Jonah Hex, that one's a coin toss.

Apr 19 - 12:25 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

When I see Priest, I think Legion. And then I weep.

Apr 18 - 09:00 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said a total clunker of a script. I didn't want to utter it's name lest should it appear and drag me down into sub-mediocrity.

Apr 18 - 10:13 AM

Don Logan

David Kumpe

I'm pretty sure they are both directed by the same guy. Hopes are not high. Especially since the CGI vampires or whatever look "I Am Legend" bad.

Apr 18 - 10:55 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

I just spoke to a theatre manager who saw a special screening of Thor this weekend and he said its AMAZING !!!!!! I hope he 's right .... Dont know what his likes and dislikes are, but I'm starting to get excited about it now...

Apr 18 - 04:00 PM

Mordecai L.

Mordecai Lopez

I

Apr 17 - 04:18 PM

Mordecai L.

Mordecai Lopez

What the...it cut me off I think Rio and Rango will be at the Academy Awards

Apr 17 - 04:19 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Yeah, but what other movies could knock them out of the picture?

Apr 17 - 08:16 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

@Mordecai - You can delete your posts...why leave it?

Rio is a shame, the more people will FLOCK (geddit?) to these movies the more they will be made. They are all the same... talking animals bla bla bla, but shit, if it works - why not do them? The studios are absolutely correct in that. I kinda expected Scre4m to fail, but almost 20M isn't a terrible opening..it might have legs but I don't think so, since it's exactly like the first 3 - no innovation and/or thematic surprises to draw in a new generation. They played it safe and lost, basically.

Atlus Shrugged opened on 300 screens to the tune of 1.9M... That seems a little high to me - $6334 per location. Can't believe there are that many idiots in the US... *looks at news about a Tea-Bagger rally*... ugh, nevermind.

Apr 17 - 04:35 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

I dunno man. I didn't see Rio, and I don't generally go out of my way to see such movies, but what is wrong with anthropomorphizing animals in a cartoon for children? It's not much different from a modern form of, say, Aesop's Fables. Certainly, a lot of these movies aren't great and have no purpose but to turn children's brains to mush while taking money from their parents, but you shouldn't assume they're all like that.

Apr 17 - 08:57 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

There isn't anything wrong with anthropomorphizing animals in a cartoon for children. But after a while, it can get a bit annoying. Blue Sky should broaden their horizon a bit, and maybe make movies that don't have anthropomorphized animals for a change (almost all of there movies have mainly animal or non-human characters). It's just the same formula can get worn down. I'm not saying that Rio is a bad movie (because it isn't), but it would be nice to see a change in their character development.

Apr 17 - 09:21 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

All these movies are exactly the same, with the same kind of humor, the same kind of characters and the same kind of atmosphere. Nothing inherently wrong with flicks like Rio, but all these carbon clones of one another are extremely played out. It's the same shit over and over again.

Apr 17 - 10:02 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

A cartoon at the top of the box office every damn week. What a pathetic time we live in.

Apr 17 - 09:49 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

It's not the fact that it's a cartoon every week at #1 that is disheartening, cos there are really a lot of awesome cartoons available in both local and international markets, but it's the fact that all these cartoons are generally just re-skins of one another... I mean, how many times can you watch the same shit?

Apr 18 - 12:02 AM

I hAtE bAd MoViEs

Brad Cunningham

Well might want to get used to it because we have a lot of talking animals movies like this on the way

Apr 18 - 12:53 AM

Cory

Cory B

I don't know what you mean with this "they're all the same" line. Some of them are similar, sure, but that's bound to happen when many movies are trying to appeal to the same demographic. And the GOOD ones have at least some distinguishing characteristics. Take Rango and the first Ice Age film for example. Completely different viewing experiences. And that's before I even get to the animated movies that DON'T have talking animals. (By the way, I've found that they share just as many similarities with the talking animal ones.) And really, quite a few live-action genres fall into that trap too. What makes an animated film good is pretty similar to what makes a live-action film good. I hope Rio falls into the good category. I'll be finding out later today.

Apr 18 - 10:25 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

@Ihatebadmovies - well, I don't watch them so apart from reading about the BO domination, they don't have any impact on me.

Apr 18 - 03:08 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

You can pretty much say the same for all non-animated films as well....retreads...

Apr 18 - 04:02 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Yup, hence why I'm not really that excited for anything this year. Surprisingly, I've heard some great things about Thor - the IGN review was pretty positive as well, and that's certainly something I wasn't expecting.

Apr 18 - 06:16 PM

Skyler H.

skyler harrington

I saw Scream 4 on Friday, and I must say I'm surprised it only made 20m over the weekend. At a 10:00 p.m. showing, it was at about 3/4 capacity. I actually thought it was the best of the franchise aside from the first one.

Apr 17 - 05:11 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Thats not saying much, the sequels are horrible. I will be skipping 4 altogether

Apr 18 - 10:00 AM

Skyler H.

skyler harrington

Yeah, the sequels are pretty rancid. I don't blame you-- if you're not a fan of the series, expect to leave the cinema mildly entertained at best.

Apr 21 - 10:55 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nice to see Source Code holding up well.

Apr 17 - 05:21 PM

mikescooterroy

Mike Roy

Saw Source Code and Scream 4 over the weekend, and I loved them both! I expected Source Code to be good thanks to the great reviews, and I'm glad I wasn't disappointed. Scream 4 was a great surprise too, I haven't seen any of the earlier entries but thought it was a fun time at the movies!

Apr 17 - 05:35 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

If you saw the previous movies, you would not have been as impressed, believe me.

Apr 18 - 01:38 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Better headline: Rio gives Scream the bird.

Apr 17 - 05:36 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

*Highfives for witty word play.

Apr 17 - 05:48 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Hehe, bird.

Apr 17 - 08:14 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Weather was so nice here, I didn't want to be in a theatre all weekend so I only saw The Conspirator this weekend, which was very good, great story, well told. Will see Rio and Source Code during the week.

Apr 17 - 05:41 PM

Apr 17 - 07:02 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Apr 19 - 12:25 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

When I see Priest, I think Legion. And then I weep.

Apr 18 - 09:00 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 18 - 10:13 AM

Don Logan

David Kumpe

Apr 18 - 10:55 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Apr 18 - 04:00 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

Rio was probobly one of the best movies I've seen so far this year.... and also possibly the most generic. Go figure.

Apr 17 - 05:47 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

I really can't forsee this being a franchise, that would be really unrealistic...

Apr 18 - 03:55 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

*Highfives for witty word play.

Apr 17 - 05:48 PM

Pecked

Mark P.

Yay, Insidious! I'm happy it placed at least 7th. I also hope this means James Wan never has to do another Saw movie again.

Apr 17 - 05:51 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Not to be a douche, but Wan has not made a Saw film since the first one, and has not been involved with the franchise as a producer or screenwriter since Saw 3.

Apr 18 - 01:39 PM

Pecked

Mark P.

My mistake. Maybe that's what happened to the Saw movies. I liked the first one okay, and glad he scored a hit with it. But the rest...

Wan's Dead Silence is one of my favorite horror movies and I can't wait to see what's happening with his new, in-development film, House of Horror.

Apr 18 - 04:42 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Rio looks average at best. I actually took this weekend as a chance to see the first 3 screams on DVD and will see scream 4 during the week. Next week we will get, Tyler perry's newest shit Medea movie, Disney's newest shit documentary, and Robbert pattinson's newest shit wannabe dramatic movie. Yeah, I think I'll just see some more NBA basketball. But I will predict next weeks box office anyway.
Medea-30 million
African cats-9 million
water for elephants-11 million.

Apr 17 - 06:10 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Water for Elephants has Christoph Waltz. He'll balance out any of the non-talent and the circus imagery will make it interesting enough to warrant paying ten bucks to get in.

Apr 18 - 04:19 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Water for Elephants will be a big hit. I know at least 15 people that want to see that film because it crosses over perfectly. You have the Twilight Crowd and the Inglorious Bastards crowd interested and that is a lot of people

Apr 18 - 10:03 AM

DBrock

David E-Brock

His accent is awful in the previews...not the guy you want to try to sound American. Or maybe I missed something and he's foreign in the movie too. People will not see this movie because they liked Basterds,that is just silly. Twilight crowd yes.

Apr 18 - 10:51 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

You people have no faith. Just because a untalented actor is attached doesn't mean the movie is a surefire candidate for the five dollar bin. Waltz and Witherspoon are both proven actors that can counterbalance the cringefest of Pattinson's dramatic chops.
Or I could be wrong and Pattinson will sink the entire escapade. Either way it'll be fun to watch. I just hope it'll be a satisfactory bingo. (Everyone applaud that awful misuse of a Basterd's joke for the sake of asserting my movie geekiness.)

Apr 18 - 12:46 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Also , Water For Elephants is a great book, read it in one sitting....doesnt mean it will translate into a great movie, but I might give it a chance....keeping my mind open, even though I hate the Twilight series

Apr 18 - 04:05 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I don't know that Pattinson is a terrible actor; I think the Twilight films just may not give him anything to work with. I guess we'll see.

Apr 18 - 12:50 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I'm with Brad on this one. Pattsy has been shoe-horned into crap romance movies since Twilight, Water for Elephants actually has potential to be a good movie. This should be his chance to either shine or prove all the haters right that he is a no talent flavor of the week for tweens.

Apr 18 - 01:46 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Water For Elephants is a TERRIFIC book, so the source material certainly cannot be written off as crap. Don't post that if you're unfamiliar with the source material, and base it off whose starring.

Apr 19 - 12:27 AM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

I loved Rio. Slightly better than Rango.

Apr 17 - 06:24 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Revision better than Rango in some ways not all.

Apr 18 - 07:27 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday