R.I.P.D. Reviews

September 27, 2015
Nice effects, some humour, overalll a simple and pleasant adventure. Not worth the low score here.
½ September 16, 2015
"R.I.P.D" is an action-comedy that takes place in the afterlife. That means lots of celestial bookkeeping, vortex clouds, lightening, the walking dead, and a higher court called Eternal Affairs that the audience never gets to see. Curiously in all this eternity stuff, no one ever mentions God. There's mention of things created by "The Universe," but God stays off the map, out of the dialogue and out of the movie.

Maybe this is a sign of the times, when the idea of The Supreme Being is becoming a subject that no one in American films wants to deal with. There was a time when a movie like this would have placed The All-Mighty smack-dab in the center of the plot, allowing him to send the hero back to earth on his mission to one more good deed. Not here. Maybe the idea of God was too much. Too controversial? Offensive perhaps? Maybe Morgan Freeman wasn't available.

We are left to ask whose running the show. "R.I.P.D." raises at least two dozen fundamental questions like this that no one really seems able to answer. It's not a bad film but you find yourself scratching your head hoping that the film's closing scenes will bring some closure to a script that is, truth be told, a disorganized mess.

You might have surmised from the TV ads that the movie is a rough-shod retread of "Men in Black," a movie that operated on a fun premise and on the talent of Will Smith, a gifted comedian who could fuel entire scenes just with the power of his mouth. "R.I.P.D." has Ryan Reynolds, a good-looking actor who has yet to occupy a role that tells us why he ever became an A-List actor in the first place. He occupies a scene with no sense of wonder, presence or joy. He's just . . . there. It's hard to nail down exactly what his talent is.

Reynolds plays Nick Walker, a good cop who is gunned down one day during a drug bust and is whisked off to the afterlife. Much of the plot can't be discussed without spoilers, so let's just say that a misstep in Nick's morality back on earth (he stole some evidence), has left Nick with a brief purgatory-like assignment. He is offered a chance to join a police force that keeps the world safe from "Dead-Os," creatures that inhabit the earth that are supposed to be dead.

Nick's partner is Roy (Jeff Bridges), a 19th century lawman who was gunned down and left to watch his carcass devoured by coyotes. A century and a half later, Roy is a veteran of the R.I.P.D., doomed to walk the earth for a certain term until . . . whoever . . . deems him fit to reap his eternal reward. True to the form of every cop-buddy movie ever made, Roy's job is to break in the young rookie. That means lots of encounters with the living dead.

The world of the dead is never really explored to its fullest. There's some disgusting locations, and disgusting creatures, but nothing the really dazzles us. There are individual moments in the film that work, but as a whole you feel that something has been left out, as if some major parts of the screenplay were sacrificed.

The main plot gets going when it is revealed that someone - one of the "dead-o's" - has stolen an ancient object that will bring about the end of the world. It doesn't take an expert to figure out what Roy and Nick are going to be called to do. Nor does it take long to figure out that Nick will try to patch things up with his grieving girlfriend back in the world of the living. He tries to communicate with her but is barred by a predicament that the movie's trailers unfairly give away. To the living, Nick doesn't look like himself; he looks like an elderly Chinese man (James Hong). Roy, to the living world, looks like a buxom blonde (Marisa Miller). Again, this is an idea that the movie never really explored to its fullest.

Bridges is the best thing about the movie. He seems to be channeling his performance as Rooster Cogburn from "True Grit" and he seems to be having a ball. With his Colonel Sanders facial hair and cowboy hat, he's a lawman of the old west, doomed to walk the Earth of the 21st century. He looks like Wild Bill Hickock and talks as if he has marbles in his mouth. Jeff Bridges, the best actor of his generation, gives a fun performance here. He gives the movie a much-needed boost of energy and proves that he can liven up a dead script like this - no pun intended.

"R.I.P.D" has a potentially fun premise and some nice moments, but it is never all that it could have been. The movie seems like it was edited with some crucial dialogue missing. Maybe that's where the meat of the story was. Think of all that could have been done with the afterlife. Think of the potential for the bureaucratic red tape. Think of the potential of the visions of Heaven and Hell that could have been created. Imagine the fun of having the pair meet God. Imagine God played by Alan Arkin. This thing writes itself, so why couldn't they write it that way?
½ March 28, 2015
Disappointing as hell, It almost made me wanna smash the screen, I wanted to like this movie because it is similar to Men in Black, Instead it was the opposite and a Complete Rip Off, Jeff Bridges is not a good actor has been in a couple good movies, Ryan Reynolds has been in Crappy movies and i don't think he is any good anymore. This Film is not good in general, It's Rather Crazy, Crazy Acting and a horrible looking story, The CGI effects were strong and lame, and there is way way way way too many effects in one movie.
½ September 1, 2015
While it's talented leads feature a surprising amount of chemistry, R.I.P.D lacks the wit, good writing, charm and visual polish to amount to anything more than just M.I.B with ghosts
½ August 10, 2015
one of my favorite actors with one of the actors I hate the most. with a MIB type feel to it it fails in every department
December 8, 2013
So bad I fell asleep during it
½ August 2, 2015
Actually, not bad! Sort of a Ghostbusters meets Men In Black! And I liked the idea that the officers looked like different people in the real world. Of course, it does help that Marissa Miller is just smoking hot!
½ August 1, 2015
I was a bit sceptical when I decided to watch this movie. But I was a bit surprised to see it turning into some sort of Men In Black'ish movie. Also I like Parker (Weeds is one of my favourite series of all time) and I think she made some clever lines througout the movie.

Basically its a "save the world from the dead" kinda movie. It shall not fall in the wrong hands, therefore we have a Rest In Peace Department to fix this.

I found myself giggling several times and my sceptisism was not met fully. So, all in all, I think people (as myself) just need to take this movie for what it is. Its mildy entertaining and it has its moments. Is this the movie of all time, hell no. But can one get entertained from watching it - sure.

Not a 5-star rating from me either, but I still enjoyed parts and bits from it and I was not bored like I was during the first hour of Interstellar.
½ July 22, 2015
"R.I.P.D." ripped me off. "R.I.P.D. is D.O.A.". These are two puns I COULD HAVE used for this movie.... IF I didn't like it as much as I did. Instead, let's just say that "R.I.P.D." stands for "Really Ingenious Picture in 3-D". Okay, enough lame jokes.

"R.I.P.D." (PG-13, 1:36) actually stands for "Rest in Peace Department", a police force of lawmen who have passed on to that great station house in the sky. Their job is to return to earth and catch "dead-o's", those who have died, but escaped their day of final judgment. Ryan Reynolds is a Boston cop who dies in a shoot-out and finds himself sitting in front of Mary-Louise Parker's R.I.P.D. commissioner. She offers Reynolds' character a chance to join the R.I.P.D. and atone for, on at least one occasion, being a less than honorable police officer. He agrees - in the hopes that his return to earth will allow him to return to his wife whom he vowed not to part with... until death.

The problem is that he has to return to earth looking like someone else and his wife doesn't recognize him. And, of course, he has a job to do. Jeff Bridges plays a lawman who died back in the Old West and now (reluctantly) becomes Reynold's new partner. The two work together to catch or kill dead-o's, but soon discover that the targets of their justice are involved in something much more sinister than simply hiding from the punishment that is their due. Another major character is played by a well-known big screen (and, more recently, small screen) actor who is curiously absent from the film's trailers and advertising, so I won't spoil the surprise here. Suffice it to say that this film brings together an interesting mix of actors for an entertaining action comedy.

"R.I.P.D" mixes together elements of "Men in Black", "Ghost", "Heaven Can Wait" and "Ghostbusters", but creates something original, both in its content and in its look. The story is a little thin at times, but the script is often clever and the visuals are terrific. The camera angles, the special effects and the use of 3-D are among the most original and most effective that I've seen in any movie in a long time. Although somewhat disjointed in parts and occasionally silly, "R.I.P.D." is a lot of fun and makes everything on screen look very much alive! "B+"
½ July 22, 2015
< Men In Black > happened 16 years before this, & did it way much better off.
July 16, 2013
A lot of opportunities to be a fun movie but end up being a "why-am-I-here?" movie
½ June 22, 2015
I didn't expect much from this movie and maybe that's why I found it enjoyable. No, it isn't the best comic book movie ever made. It's not even a movie I would put on a list of all time greats. But it fulfills its purpose of being an entertaining popcorn flick where the actors involved do a good job of carrying the material. Jeff Bridges and Mary Louise Parker are definitely the best parts of the movie. Ryan Reynolds does well in his part as well, but matched up against those two, his shining star is eclipsed by their talent. The story isn't great and is a bit predictable at times, but it's the character interactions that really drive the film. There was definitely great potential left on the table for this film, but that still doesn't take away from what it achieves and that is just good fun where you can just sit back and relax for an hour and a half and just laugh if you're willing to not pick it apart. That's the problem with a lot of films these days. They're not 5 star instant classics, so they get torn apart unfairly. Allow yourself to be entertained. It really isn't hard to do.
December 16, 2013
Imagine Men in Black, if it sucked big time. (D+)
May 17, 2015
The movie is as unentertaining as the special effects are unimpressive.
May 16, 2015
The overt problem with this movie is that to everyone else Roycephus "Roy" Pulsipher & Nick Walker look like Marisa miller and James Hong respectively. So why am i not watching a film that stars Marisa Miller and James Hong? This is the most interesting aspect of this film but it's played up only for a few sight gags. So few in fact that I question why bother having this aspect in the film in the first place? Roy's character is mildly interesting but he's clearly been doing this a long time, but doesn't seem to grasp subtly of modern society. The whole thing with Nick Walker and his wife (widow) seems tacked on to get the film over 90 minutes. It may have some moments and has a little action so it avoided the dreaded ZERO, but not by much. It's predictable, boring and unfunny.
May 16, 2015
This movie deserves more credit than the ratings given. In the same genre of MiB but not worse off in terms of story and special effects. Its always a treat to see Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds on screen.
½ July 28, 2013
The movie was actually ok. Although the visual effect don't stand out as well, and with some one note characters, and the films plot and ending could have been worked on more. The film also had a cartoon kind of feel, but it is not considered bad, but also isn't considered good either, but more mixed. On the positive side, it had some shiny moments, some good jokes, and Jeff Bridges can really play as the cowboy
May 3, 2015
I found this show full of cheezy goodness
April 15, 2015
It was okay, but it felt way too much like Men In Black. The only difference was that MIB had aliens, a better script, and a better director!
½ March 30, 2015
Trying to be realy cool, R.I.P.D becomes really uncool.