—— Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

R.I.P.D. Reviews

August 19, 2014
Nice concept occasionally funny and some good action parts too.
August 16, 2014
Amusing mixture of Ghost Busters and Men in Black - great part played by Jeff Bridges.
August 16, 2014
This is just not an outstanding movie. Funny at times but still has much room to improve. Does Mary-Louise Parker have a nose job and a plastic surgery? I used to like her until now...
Sebastian F.
August 15, 2014
The exact term for this film is "Men In Black" wannabe.
August 13, 2014
MIB meets Ghost for a few funny moments
August 9, 2014
Worst film I've ever seen!
August 5, 2014
Really enjoyed this film. Found it good fun, with a different twist on the buddy police film genre.
August 5, 2014
Men in Black in the afterlife. Fills 90 minutes and whilst its a fun movie it wont linger long in the memory, like most Ryan Reynolds films to be fair
Giovanni M.
August 4, 2014
R.I.P.D. aims for fun but comes off as a trashy knock-off of Men In Black. It does however balance it's low substance with it's low style.
August 3, 2014
Atrocious. Don't know what they were thinking here. None of the components worked together and even the genuinely original bits felt cliched because of how they were introduced.

The story isn't bad, but the execution and details are incredibly silly. Deados? Really? That's the name for your villains? I can't even say that without groaning internally. For that matter the very concepts they toy with are stupid. Deados (shudder) are revealed in their true form by inhaling curry powder? That doesn't even begin to make sense, and not in a quirky way. In fact, it's details like that that ruin all elements of this story. Take the concept that humans see the RIPD guys in different forms, so Bridges is an attractive blonde while Reynolds is James Hong (now anyone who's seen any of the 350 films he's been in is now one degree closer to Kevin Bacon). It's a great concept, but they carry it out so inconsistently that you have to question the point. Since Jeff Bridges spends most of the film looking like Jeff Bridges you tend to forget that everyone he's talking to sees him as an attractive blonde, which makes the moments where people acknowledge the blonde disorienting. And random. Even those moments aren't played to their full since the girl doesn't get his best out of place salty old sheriff lines. And why is it so bad to be James Hong? Dude's got a great voice.

The afterlife concept is poorly thought out with some kind of judgement system but if you miss the moment and get stuck on Earth you're automatically a monster? And yet they clearly show people who that doesn't happen to so it clearly doesn't mean what they say it means. The rules are ill-defined and confusing. Apparently you can earn brownie points if you're a dick but have useful skills and are in danger of getting erased if you fail to fulfill the tasks set you by heaven. Which further makes me question that whole judgement thing.

The effects here are the worst I have ever seen on a big budget film. They look like something out of a bad made-for-TV film from the '90s. And worse still there's a lot of them. Watching a giant fat deado (shudder) walk up walls with his body weight having no relation to any sort of animated physics whatsoever is just appalling. The moments where they try to make our heroes do impossible stunts are even worse. Watching an apparently weightless Ryan Reynolds get thrown into a pole was classic.

The worst part of this film is that Jeff Bridges is actually brilliant in it. He turns in a wonderful performance that reminds me a lot of his Rooster Cogburn but with more winking at the camera. He gets exactly the tone that this film was supposed to be striving for. It's everyone else that drops the ball. The filmmakers have no idea what to do with a decent performance, so naturally they try to wedge him into cheap physical comedy and silly expressions. I wish I could have seen the film Bridges thought he was making because that film was gold! Ryan Reynolds is playing it serious since he seems to have decided to be an actual actor now, and while a gifted performer could make a straight reading of this ridiculous script funny Reynolds can't pull it off. He treats it far too seriously and seems to try so hard being the straight man that his buddy cop routine never actually works. Generally he just comes off as a dick, such as the time he mocks a guy by talking about coyotes (literally) humping his dead skull. Literally! What a class act.
August 3, 2014
Tried too hard to be the undead version of "Men in Black" and really didn't succeed.
July 17, 2013
R.I.P.D. has good effects, an interesting premise that remember M.I.B., some funny moments and a sarcastic performance by Jeff Bridges, but still don't work so well when you look the big picture, most because the movie takes very seriously and show some inconsistencies of the script.
August 2, 2014
A ideia não é das piores, já a execução...
August 2, 2014
i really rather enjoyed ripd a kinda modern funny men in black of which jeff bridges was hilarious
Angelo Dean
August 1, 2014
It definitely had its moments, but the Rest in Peace Department falls short, spending a little more time trying to make the audience laugh, which was irrelevant, the story never really got to point

It was poorly written and very predictable.

1 Star for Jeff Bridges, 1 Star for Ryan Reynolds and 1/2 star for everything else

2.5 Stars!
July 31, 2014
I think they just tried too hard. The premise for the film sounds interesting enough, but I think the execution didn't go well. I did get thru the whole thing though.
July 31, 2014
Seems to be a mix of 'Men In Black' with 'Ghost' with Jeff Bridges reprising his Rooster Cogburn role for the lacklustre afterlife cop comedy.
July 30, 2014
R.I.P.D. Movie Review!

This movie is a quirky, fiction movie about what happens to certain individuals after they die. They get judged and can either go back to Earth working in the Rest In Peace Department, or...hell, I don't know, go to heaven or hell? That's not well explained.

The movie follows a man who is killed by his partner and he is sent back to Earth to eliminated all the Deados...the code name for the dead among the living. What a stupid nickname. Is that the extent of people's imagination? Adding a letter o to the word dead? Please.

This is more like a comedic drama in my opinion. Though, it's not funny and the action is more or less. For some reason, almost every time, the damn camera either zooms in or out way too much. All the time!

It's not really the worst movie of its kind, but it's really not that special.

I give this a 5 out of 10. (2.5 stars) Average movie.
July 29, 2014
it was ok, but pretty forgettable with a stupid plot and revolting ghosts. meh.
July 29, 2014
Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds playing cops in the afterlife hunting down nefarious undead sounds like a film you may want to see and would expect to enjoy. Unfortunately, it's distinctly underwhelming, from the repeated 3D slowmo headshots to the insultingly banal story arc.