R.I.P.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

R.I.P.D. Reviews

½ August 1, 2015
I was a bit sceptical when I decided to watch this movie. But I was a bit surprised to see it turning into some sort of Men In Black'ish movie. Also I like Parker (Weeds is one of my favourite series of all time) and I think she made some clever lines througout the movie.

Basically its a "save the world from the dead" kinda movie. It shall not fall in the wrong hands, therefore we have a Rest In Peace Department to fix this.

I found myself giggling several times and my sceptisism was not met fully. So, all in all, I think people (as myself) just need to take this movie for what it is. Its mildy entertaining and it has its moments. Is this the movie of all time, hell no. But can one get entertained from watching it - sure.

Not a 5-star rating from me either, but I still enjoyed parts and bits from it and I was not bored like I was during the first hour of Interstellar.
½ July 22, 2015
"R.I.P.D." ripped me off. "R.I.P.D. is D.O.A.". These are two puns I COULD HAVE used for this movie.... IF I didn't like it as much as I did. Instead, let's just say that "R.I.P.D." stands for "Really Ingenious Picture in 3-D". Okay, enough lame jokes.

"R.I.P.D." (PG-13, 1:36) actually stands for "Rest in Peace Department", a police force of lawmen who have passed on to that great station house in the sky. Their job is to return to earth and catch "dead-o's", those who have died, but escaped their day of final judgment. Ryan Reynolds is a Boston cop who dies in a shoot-out and finds himself sitting in front of Mary-Louise Parker's R.I.P.D. commissioner. She offers Reynolds' character a chance to join the R.I.P.D. and atone for, on at least one occasion, being a less than honorable police officer. He agrees - in the hopes that his return to earth will allow him to return to his wife whom he vowed not to part with... until death.

The problem is that he has to return to earth looking like someone else and his wife doesn't recognize him. And, of course, he has a job to do. Jeff Bridges plays a lawman who died back in the Old West and now (reluctantly) becomes Reynold's new partner. The two work together to catch or kill dead-o's, but soon discover that the targets of their justice are involved in something much more sinister than simply hiding from the punishment that is their due. Another major character is played by a well-known big screen (and, more recently, small screen) actor who is curiously absent from the film's trailers and advertising, so I won't spoil the surprise here. Suffice it to say that this film brings together an interesting mix of actors for an entertaining action comedy.

"R.I.P.D" mixes together elements of "Men in Black", "Ghost", "Heaven Can Wait" and "Ghostbusters", but creates something original, both in its content and in its look. The story is a little thin at times, but the script is often clever and the visuals are terrific. The camera angles, the special effects and the use of 3-D are among the most original and most effective that I've seen in any movie in a long time. Although somewhat disjointed in parts and occasionally silly, "R.I.P.D." is a lot of fun and makes everything on screen look very much alive! "B+"
½ July 22, 2015
< Men In Black > happened 16 years before this, & did it way much better off.
July 16, 2013
A lot of opportunities to be a fun movie but end up being a "why-am-I-here?" movie
½ June 22, 2015
I didn't expect much from this movie and maybe that's why I found it enjoyable. No, it isn't the best comic book movie ever made. It's not even a movie I would put on a list of all time greats. But it fulfills its purpose of being an entertaining popcorn flick where the actors involved do a good job of carrying the material. Jeff Bridges and Mary Louise Parker are definitely the best parts of the movie. Ryan Reynolds does well in his part as well, but matched up against those two, his shining star is eclipsed by their talent. The story isn't great and is a bit predictable at times, but it's the character interactions that really drive the film. There was definitely great potential left on the table for this film, but that still doesn't take away from what it achieves and that is just good fun where you can just sit back and relax for an hour and a half and just laugh if you're willing to not pick it apart. That's the problem with a lot of films these days. They're not 5 star instant classics, so they get torn apart unfairly. Allow yourself to be entertained. It really isn't hard to do.
December 16, 2013
Imagine Men in Black, if it sucked big time. (D+)
May 17, 2015
The movie is as unentertaining as the special effects are unimpressive.
May 16, 2015
The overt problem with this movie is that to everyone else Roycephus "Roy" Pulsipher & Nick Walker look like Marisa miller and James Hong respectively. So why am i not watching a film that stars Marisa Miller and James Hong? This is the most interesting aspect of this film but it's played up only for a few sight gags. So few in fact that I question why bother having this aspect in the film in the first place? Roy's character is mildly interesting but he's clearly been doing this a long time, but doesn't seem to grasp subtly of modern society. The whole thing with Nick Walker and his wife (widow) seems tacked on to get the film over 90 minutes. It may have some moments and has a little action so it avoided the dreaded ZERO, but not by much. It's predictable, boring and unfunny.
May 16, 2015
This movie deserves more credit than the ratings given. In the same genre of MiB but not worse off in terms of story and special effects. Its always a treat to see Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds on screen.
½ July 28, 2013
The movie was actually ok. Although the visual effect don't stand out as well, and with some one note characters, and the films plot and ending could have been worked on more. The film also had a cartoon kind of feel, but it is not considered bad, but also isn't considered good either, but more mixed. On the positive side, it had some shiny moments, some good jokes, and Jeff Bridges can really play as the cowboy
May 3, 2015
I found this show full of cheezy goodness
April 15, 2015
It was okay, but it felt way too much like Men In Black. The only difference was that MIB had aliens, a better script, and a better director!
½ March 30, 2015
Trying to be realy cool, R.I.P.D becomes really uncool.
½ March 30, 2015
Pretty darn bad. I didn't make it to the end. Every joke missed its mark, and its a confusing MIB wannabe flick.
March 23, 2015
R.I.P.D is a ripoff of Men in Black, that's not in itself a sin as some great pieces of art have come from attempts to copy a successful formula: R.I.P.D however is not great art. There are a lot of things wrong with the movie, I could go on about how the rules of the world are never quite explained fully or how the movie relies too much on the two main characters real world appearances for cheap punchlines, but I think the worst part of the film is that it just feels flat and hollow. You never get the impression that this movie ever aimed to be anything else than a cheap Men in Black copy: As a monster roams around the street you can hear the film ask itself "I'm relevant right?" and that is just never a good sign.
March 22, 2015
You have to understand you in for a fluff,seen it all before ride but Bridges elevates this to watchable fare.
March 19, 2015
The end of cinema is upon us...
March 16, 2015
I'm sailing right in the face of consensus with this one. Rotten Tomatoes put this one in the garbage, but my husband and I were truly taken by surprise when we took a chance on this film.

Perhaps the title was to blame in putting people off. The audience just isn't quite sure what to expect when faced with such a gimmicky film name. Although the source of the title is clarified in the film, if I had been director Robert Schwentke, I would have primed my project for success with a name that doesn't cause confusion from the offset.

In actual fact, the film reminded me in many ways of Ghostbusters. All of the negative reviews and comments had been thinking that such a throwback classic as Ghostbusters might not have been so well received if released today; and that's allowing for the modernization of special effects and wardrobe.

R.I.P.D. sees Ryan Reynolds, in perfect form, teamed with Jeff Bridges, in a revival of his wild west persona from True Grit. They are working for a special police force of the afterlife; tracking down the baddies who have tried to escape their final judgement by camouflaging themselves at humans back on Earth.

We watched the movie on cable and did not see the 3D effects, but I can bet they were fairly eye-popping. The script was witty and the idea was fresh. Reynolds and Bridges made a great team. I have a soft spot for afterlife films anyhow. If a script has a solid backbone, a bit of comedic play is no longer annoying. I accepted this one, massively disgusting ghosties (that reminded me of Fat Bastard from Austin Powers) and all. I'd hope for a sequel, but I don't think the chances look to bright. I'm just glad that I looked past the title and gave this one a chance.
½ March 9, 2015
I enjoyed the movie and believe the role acting was very good, esp. Bridges facial expressions. I believe "Action & Adventure , Comedy" to be valid classifications. I would purchase the DVD and recommend others to view it. As you are viewing any media video you have to keep reminding yourself of its Genre. And stay awake!!
½ March 9, 2015
Just skip this one, it is sooo bad I don't know where to begin, would rather just put it out of my mind.