Riptide

Riptide Reviews

neffielee
neffielee

May 18, 2009
As I started to watch this film, I thought it was going to be a comedy. The characters of Marshall and Shearer meet for the first time dressed as insects. Shearer plays a woman who gives up her carefree New York lifestyle to marry the Lord (played stodgily by Marshall) and lives the sedate married life; until she runs into her ex (played by the ever-so-suave and charming Montgomery). It becomes a cloying melodrama with Shearer caught between two men who love her. It does liven up when Shearer and Montgomery are on-screen together, as they seem to shine together. They make the movie worth watching and save it from being too "soapy".
August 17, 2014
This is an interesting plot if one considers the time period it was produced. However, it must have been difficult for the working person of the1930's to relate to characters spending their time at vacation houses and night clubs and not caring for their children... a rather empty life style to me. All that in mind, the values of faithfulness in marriage are examined in the film. Mary fails the test with her husband , but not necessarily with the audience. Her husband rushes to judgment the first time he hears word of her exploits with another man. Then he pushes her into cheating with him the next time. It is a wonder that the two ever get back together. I enjoyed the acting except that there are times that Robert Mongomery looks more like a punch-drunk boxer than a desirable gentleman. The movie is worth watching for the fashion, the footloose lifestyle (that still exists), and the statements it makes about women and morality. TMC/Comcast cut off the ending by approximately two or three minutes. I had to read here that it was a happy ending. Apparently, the movie is not 90 minutes long!