97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The River Wild Reviews

Jason S

February 26, 2007
I really dig this flick. It's good to see Streep doing something this fun and Bacon makes a great villain. I've seen it at least 15 times and I never get tired of watching it.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 15, 2007
Thriller about robbers who kidnap a family to help him escape down river. Good cast.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 3, 2011
Exciting, but not rewatchable
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
Hated it. I wanted everyone to drown.
Jason O

September 10, 2009
"The River Wild" was one of my favorite movies of 1994. Gail (Meryl Streep), her husband, and her son decide to take a white-water rafting trip. They already have their problems because Gail's husband pays too much attention to his job and he doesn't pay enough attention to his family. However, before they know it, they'll have more deadly problems to deal with. Gail is an experienced and knowledgeable white-water rafter, and soon she and her family meet two mysterious strangers, one of which is Wade (Kevin Bacon). Wade asks for help to get to a certain place and Gail agrees to help, but little does she know that soon she, her husband, and her son, will be fighting for their lives.
"The River Wild" is a better movie than a lot of critics and other reviewers have said that it is. It has exciting white-water rafting sequences, especially when Gail and the others try to live through 'The Gauntlet,' and it features a great performance by Meryl Streep. If you like exciting movies or anything to do with white-water rafting, I definitely recommend getting "The River Wild." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
sainttom93
sainttom93

January 14, 2007
I couldn't imagine Kevin Bacon as a villain, but he played a GREAT villain in this one --
Dean !

April 29, 2007
A pretty good thriller with a strong cast.
puffchunk
puffchunk

April 23, 2007
Only cause I grew up watching it, and kevin bacon is fun to watch sometimes. And John C. Reily kills people.
deano
deano

April 14, 2007
I started to like Meryl Streep in this adventure-thriler film because she's fantastic for the American deaf culture by using American sign language in her character. And she successfully invades Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone territory when her family is terrorized by a psychotic killer while on a white-water rafting vacation.
Luke B

June 3, 2006
A nice tense thriller. Set's aside big explosions and hard boiled cops and gives us a family on a rafting holiday. Bacon excels at being the creepy and dangerous robber and Riley is great as his bitch. Hanson keeps the action focussed and also takes time to explore the motives and emotions of the family.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Exciting, but not rewatchable
Dannielle A

May 22, 2007
I love the music in this movie. The acting is great; well cast.
Steven V

January 18, 2008
A highly entertaining. I started to like Meryl Streep in this adventure-thriler film because she's fantastic for the American deaf culture by using American sign language in her character.
ashley h

June 22, 2007
Ok, I realize its only taken me 16 years, but I finally watched this all the way through. A good movie. Made me want to go white water raftinga gain...
Danny R

January 9, 2010
An exciting suspense-filled thriller with a stunning performance by Meryl Streep who did many of the hair-raising stunts herself as a former river guide and rafting expert who arranges a white-water rafting trip to celebrate her son's birthday with her son and estranged husband, and falling prey to three mysterious strangers on the lam from the law, her skills and courage will soon be put to test when murder comes into the picture. A terrific cast with Kevin Bacon a standout as the head bad guy. Beautiful cinematography by Robert Elswitt. A pulse- pounding thrill ride with outstanding direction by Curtis Hanson. Highly Recommended.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

April 10, 2009
The River Wild is a fantastic movie which shows Kevin Bacon at his best as a psycho. He is definitely one of those good-guy actors who can pull off a sinister performance when called upon.

Kevin is the real scene stealer here. His performance as Wade is top-notch. He's charming in the beginning and creepy later on. The River Wild is Curtis Hanson's first attempt at an action film. And he does quite well. The film's ultimate set piece is the Gauntlet. And it's a thrilling 10 minutes. The sight of giant rocks coming right at you is terrifying. I'm not sure where those scenes were really filmed but special commendation should go to the filmmakers, actors and stunt doubles for putting themselves at such great risk. The cinematography is stunning. The rapids are gorgeous and exciting to look at, the grand scenes of mountains and forests, rocks, steep cliffs, simply beautiful. The music score is also lovely.

The River Wild is not Curtis Hanson's finest hour. That honor goes to LA Confidential. This movie reminds me of when I went white water rafting on the Delaware River in Pennsylvania except there was no Kevin Bacon there lol......
Andrew F

May 19, 2006
I liked it a lot. A great combination of suspense and adventure in the wilderness.
Stephen E

January 21, 2012
Formula thrillers aren't quite my cup of tea. I can't ever really get as into the action as much as I'd like, and I find myself, for the most part, bored. On the other hand, "The River Wild" is almost never boring. It maintains a consistent tone of peril, its characters always being thrust into precarious positions. While the storyline isn't fantastic, I liked the music and the camerawork -- especially the camerawork. There's not much rewatch value here, but its enjoyable nonetheless.
bamadeb77
bamadeb77

July 2, 2011
One of my favorite movies that Kevin Bacon did...
jimbotender
jimbotender

November 24, 2008
Cute.I particularly liked the fact Bacon is at his best when none knows of his distinctive performances.The reason he steals the show in every god-damn movie he's in.Forces of nature couldn't help Hanson's popularity and even if he weren't a director,the script would be as tidal as those waterfalls.