43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

The Road to El Dorado Reviews

michael e.
michael e.

December 31, 2010
I dont remember much about the movie i remember some of the comedy and i definitely remember the ending scene with the giant robot cat thing, from what i remember it was a good movie but ill probably have to watch it again to really get my results
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 22, 2011
Not a comedy, not a musical, and not a kids movie. The animation is beautiful in my opinion. The plot was pretty simple. The music was great.
Kevin M

June 1, 2011
When you hear that a movie you loved and grew up with when you were young sucks, it kinda hurts a bit. I saw this movie SO many times when i was younger, so after about 1 and half years, I finally watched it again. But during that period of time i kinda grew into more of a critic, so when i saw this again, my childhood ripped to shreds. But even with it's bland plot and characters, and a hurtful realization of my childhood stupidity, I'm still giving it 3 stars, since it still has nice visuals and colors, and about 12 years of love for this movie
Coxxie M

July 22, 2009
yea i hide my exorcist dvd in this case. its not good
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

June 9, 2008
for a giddies film i thought it was funny and worth a watch even my dad was watching it
Kylie B

May 23, 2007
Interesting. Not bad although it did feel as if there was something missing (even for a kiddie film). The dark magic effects were rather atmostpheric though.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
great stuff, they should do a live action of this story
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Nicely done.
boxman
boxman

February 23, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]Tulio (Kevin Kline) and Miguel (Kenneth Branaugh) are two 16th Century Spanish con men who somehow speak in English accents and appear to have a secret gay relationship. I calls 'em as I see 'em people. Through a strange comedy of errors the boys end up marooned on a far off land with a horse in their posession as well as a mysterious map. The map leads to the unfold treasures of the mysterious fable of the city of El Dorado. They partner with a saucy native (Rosey Perez) with hips bigger than shoulders and a pining to be taken away.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Dreamworks has scored big with previous strong ink and paint outings, but 'El Dorado' seems to be a dissapointment. At times the banter between Kline and Branaugh is lively and humerous but the energy is never sustained for long. 'El Dorado' lulls unexpectadly quite often. Katzenberg created the very successful Disney animated formula, and still sticks by it regretably. 'The Iron Giant' showed originality can work, so why is no one listening?![/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]The animation is surprisingly shoddy at times. The contrast between 3-D and 2-D animation is easily noticeable, unlike the work in 'Prince of Egypt'. Perez seems miscast, what with her Puerto Rican accent, and close to all the characters are poorly underwritten -- even the damn horse.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Elton John and Tim Rice buddy up after their successful pairing with the Diz' blockbuster 'The Lion King' to unlease wave after wave of senseless drivel. None of the monotonous songs are memorable, or even downright humable. After seeing these pop regurgitations it's easy to see that everyone makes a bad step. Consider this one.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'El Dorado' is an animated attempt toward the bumbling road pictures of Hope and Crosby, but this tank is too low on gas for the entire trip.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: C+ [/color][/font]
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Nick C.
Nick C.

September 21, 2010
A good comedy, but not one of Dreamworks' best works. The songs were catchy, good thing they were by the Lion King team, plus, Migel and Tulio were pretty funny characters.
Jackson W

April 10, 2012
Road to El Dorado tries to be Dreamworks Lion King, and the vibrant scenery and catchy Elton tunes accomodate nicely. Problem is, there was a severe lack of substance with the pieces of the chess table, the characters, and the to and fro plot that kept it from being classic worthy in any regard. It's one of those early new millenium movies where its like looking at Mona Lisa with a moustache, a beautiful work of art ruined by childish pranks. Some of the additives to what was going on made it enjoyable enough to understand why this could have cult following, but everything else brings light to the reason why this film was forgotten about by the winter following its release, when Disney's The Emperor's New Groove, a funnier, better written, and all around superior movie overshadowed its entire existence.
Gavin the moviejunkie1994
April 9, 2010
So here we have, yet another animated movie from my childhood years known as Dreamworks Animation's "The Road To El Dorado". At first, I thought that this one was gonna disappoint me just like "Shark Tale" and "Bee Movie", but ever since I saw it in theaters, it not only surprised me, but left me speechless and here's the reason why. First, my opinions about why the two computer animated films disappointed me in the first place.

Shark Tale wasn't the worst, but was kind of an unfunny cash in. Even though it had pointless jokes/puns, predictable story, a wrong moral and very boring characters, I have to give it credit for its unique animation, creative visuals, and very good voice acting.

Bee Movie, on the other hand, was better than Shark Tale, but not as great as any of the other entries that came out at that time. It had great animation, cool flight scenes, solid voice acting, very creative visuals/jokes, and a decent music score, but suffered from pointless characters, predictable story, confusing premise, and the story's lack of a menacing villain and adventure.

It was great to see Dreamworks Animation doing traditional animated films and computer animated films that got my attention and this one happens to be one of them.

It tells the story abut two swindlers named Tulio and Miguel, who obtain a map that shows the location to El Dorado after winning a dice game, but their cheating has been discovered and ends up being stowaways to Hernan Cortes' fleet to conquer Mexico. They managed to escape, however, along with Cortes' horse named Altivo and they've eventually come across El Dorado where they are mistaken for gods.

How can no one not like this movie? It's a kids movie and boys and girls and their families should like this.

The humor in this movie was as good as Dreamworks earlier entries (except Shark Tale) and has been targeted to younger audiences besides children. It was sad to see it bombed in the box office, but that doesn't take away everything else that I like about this movie.

That acting is acceptable here. Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh had a great chemistry when voicing Tulio and Miguel. Rosie Perez was very cute as Chel (might as well call her Cheldorado, quote from the movie) and the rest of the actors including Jim Cummings as Cortes were very entertaining.

The music from Hans Zimmer and John Powell was visually stunning and very epic. If some of you think that the songs written by Elton John and Tim Rice were lackluster, you're dead wrong because they are so damn catchy! The theme song in the beginning, "The Trail We Blaze", "It's Tough To Be A God", "The More I Learn", and "Friends Never Say Goodbye" were a lot of fun and they were worth listening to.

Although, there are two problems that I do have with this movie. The plot/script were predictable, but was perfectly well-paced and for some reason, there were homosexual overtones between Tulio and Chel that were too inappropriate for kids.

The Road To El Dorado may not be a masterpiece, but it's still a very entertaining non-Disney movie and it is worth checking out. I mean, seriously. It is that good.

8/10
Juan C

May 8, 2011
an irresistably hillarious animated film that has humor and heart full of gold. A+
Yinalí R

August 6, 2007
Cool movie.
meril l

November 27, 2006
Shockingly crude and mature for a Disney movie, and not a whole lot of fun. Spend your time on a movie that has already proved its mettle (read: Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc.)
Double.Dubs
Double.Dubs

May 11, 2012
The trip to the mythical lost City of Gold was much more fun in "Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes" than in this. *Thinks it over.* Yup.
Jessica v

November 16, 2006
Another one of my animated favs. The colourful characters and great soundtrack really drive this film forward. The script is witty and sharp with a dash of silly humour - just perfect for the whole family. All-in-all, a very enjoyable, very watchable, very fun movie.
February 14, 2010
A decent animated DreamWorks film that I enjoyed more when I first saw it in theaters as a kid. The music doesn't appeal to me, which is surprising since it's the work of Tim Rice and Elton John. It is a pretty funny movie though. (First viewing - Spring 2000 in theaters)
timoncjm
August 24, 2011
It was a really enjoyable animated adventure. It had very well done animation, great music, great characters, funny moments, exciting action, and an excellent plot. It's one of the best animated films of 2000. Fun to watch for kids and adults alike.