Movies Like The Road To Guantanamo

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Road To Guantanamo Reviews

Thomas J

March 30, 2008
Americans need to wake up as to what we are doing in the name of protecting ourselves from terrorist!! Are we becoming terrorist ourselves?
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 26, 2012
Brilliant retelling of what happened to three brothers that were captured on their way to a wedding and subsequently sent to Guantanamo Bay. Chilling and effective, this film is a stunning drama with documentary elements. This is a well constructed film that exposes the conditions of Guantanamo Bay. Brilliant, sad and eye opening this is a film that exposes the condition of the infamous prison. This is a disturbing film that should be seen to be believed. Brilliant and provoking, The Road to Guantanamo is one terrific documentary that makes you ask important questions. This is a disturbing film that shows the harsh realities of what happened to three detainees in Guantanamo Bay. Provoking and it does a great job at re-enacting the ordeal of the three men that were falsely imprisoned, this is a must see film for anyone looking for a haunting, thrilling and memorable documentary to watch. I really enjoyed the film and thought it was very insightful. Though this is a re inactment, I found the film to be nonetheless disturbing and quite the unique viewing experience. If you're looking for a solid documentary to watch, give this film a shot. As far as documentaries are concerned, Road to Guantanamo Bay delivers. The film has a take no prisoners' attitude that gives the real deal of what really goes on behind the walls at Guantanamo. Brilliant, provocative and shocking, this is a well crafted documentary film.
blkbomb
blkbomb

August 11, 2011
Shafiq: My name's Shafiq Rasul, and I'm from Tipton, I tell them I ain't Taliban, but they don't wanna listen. You won't believe I just came out here, for my mate's wedding, do you? I never thought my ass, would be heading for Cuba.

The Road to Guantanamo is a disturbing and very well made docudrama about three friends from England who were imprisoned in Guantanamo. The film uses interviews with the actual people, along with new footage and reenactments of the events that took place. The movie is both sad and terrifying. To think about what those three went through and also about the others who had been wrongfully imprisoned there that we don't know about.

Michael Winterbottom is an amazing director. This is up there with my favorite movie from him; A Mighty Heart. The way he weaves both the actual interviews and the reenactments together is great. The cast is actually pretty good. They make the situations and characters they are reenacting believable.

This isn't a movie that you want to watch, but one that you need to watch. It's an important and well-made piece of filmmaking about The Tipton Three and the injustice they received at the hands of the United States Military.
Sophie B

April 2, 2011
It's incredible and really brings to light what went/goes on out there. People who you would think you can trust eg. the US and UK military and embassy workers, spinning lies just to get those poor men to "admit" they're involved with terrorist cells. It's disgusting how they were treated in Guantanamo and even more disgusting how only an extremely small amount of detainees there ever go to trial and the fact that none were found guilty is just horrendous. I understand the military not believing what some of those men say but obviously a lot of them are honestly telling the truth and being coaxed into confessions.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

July 30, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"The Road to Guantanamo" is a documentary reconstruction about friends from Birmingham, England of Pakistani ancestry who venture to Pakistan in October 2001 for a wedding. At the start of American hostilities, they go to Afghanistan to help the Afghani people but instead are caught up in the fighting and are captured by Northern Alliance fighters. That is only the beginning of their troubles...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"The Road to Guantanamo" is an important document for putting a human face on those imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay, the vast majority having never been charged with anything. This is an excellent look at the inhuman treatment the prisoners have suffered at the hands of the American authorities who are portrayed as not being interesting in guilt, innocence or intelligence gathered but in punishment. In conclusion, hopefully this film can be used at any possible future war crimes trial.[/font]
John B

July 25, 2012
My love hate relationship with Michael Winterbottom goes more towards the love side in this interesting drama about being in the wrong place in the wrong time.
PantaOz
PantaOz

August 5, 2009
I had no chance to see this movie at the Berlin Film Festival in 2006 (Winner), but I am doing it now... and I am glad I did it! Michael Winterbottom shows us a real culture of repression with always ready excuses from the US officials... Sad world we are living in... sad...

Watch this movie to understand the world better!
Angela A

December 28, 2008
Harsh. I hate what I have seen of the American Military. I would be terrified to meet them in a war zone.
StaisilD
June 22, 2008
Based on a true story, The Road to Guantanamo tells the story of the Tipton Three, three British citizens who were arrested in Afghanistan in early 2002. The three men- Ruhal Ahmed, Asif Iqbal, and Shafiq Rasul, were detained at Guantanamo Bay for two years. While detained they were denied legal representation and experienced severe mistreatment and coercion under duress in attempts to solicit confessions. They were released in 2004 and have provided some of the best first hand accounts of what the government is doing to suspected low-level terrorists. The meat of the film, which is basically a fifty-minute montage, depicts members of the Tipton Three dragged before American interrogators where they are yelled at, sworn at, and belittled. They are thrown into dank cells, put into stressful positions, and kept in solitary confinement with confession to being a member of Al Qaeda the only means to relief. These are chilling scenes, and will cause extreme disturbance, as you will surely be imagining all the other innocent people who are put through similar treatment, and all of those still going through it.
March 2, 2007
One question.. How the hell did they get some of that footage?.. I highly doubt that they were being followed with a camera during that trip.. I realize that alot of it was staged for the filming.. but some of it was EXTREMELY graphic for staged footage.. (such as when one of them is helping dig graves for the victims of the bombing).. You can generally tell where the real media coverage was used, and the actors they used were not terribly good, so you can tell that.. I don't know.. some scenes seem a bit too much to be reinactments..

Okay, aside from that.. this is deeply disturbing.. I think the worst part is that after they were cleared they were still treated like criminals.. imprisoned for over a year AFTER they were OFFICIALLY cleared?.. because they would not sign a paper saying they were affiliated with Al Quiada..when it is a matter of record that they weren't.. that all the shit they tried blaming them for.. (such as the "pictures and photo's of them listening to Bin Laden that happened while two of them were in jail in ENGLAND and the other was WORKING in another country).. was completely falsified and honestly should have gotten some people booted from the militatry.. . I don't know what else to say.. and don't really care to.. Interesting film..
June 8, 2007
Very nerve recking in a good way for viewers but a bad way for the people who really had to go through all this.
May 17, 2007
This documentary provides a big insight towards the failure for our government in assessing its priorities and their treatment towards prisoners of war. These guys shouldn't have been treated in such a way. Great documentary with provoking footage and excellent reenactment. I was shocked and ashamed by our military.
revkev2
March 24, 2007
Leaves one major question unanswered: What were these guys thinking?? Either they are the most clueless individuals on the planet or they are liars. I think the former. I watched this after seeing World Trade Center and it give you a bit of a jaundiced eye to the events. Torture is wrong, but if these guys were the prisoners of the Taliban or Saddam, they might not be alive to tell the tale.
January 29, 2007
If you beilieve in the "war on terror" watch this. You will see terror. and perhaps understand that war = terror.
October 28, 2006
A very powerful film that shows what can happen to people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
July 16, 2006
An enjoyable watch but it somewhat contridicts itself on the whole torture account. To me it tries to show that Guantanamo is bad, but the Afghan prison where the men are earlier in the movie is far worse.
but33rs
June 23, 2006
i heard of it my friedn told me bout it he said it wa sawesome i alos heard it very brutal and sad
January 2, 2014
2.3/5 Con una temática como ésta, uno espera que el docu-drama sea un poco más desarrollado, complejo, controversial, pero realmente termina siendo blando y repetitivo, las escenas no transmiten como deberian los horrores que vivieron estos hombres, le falta "punch" a la crítica al sistema militar de los Estados Unidos, y, al final, realmente es muy olvidable y decepcionante. Una excelente historia, pero una ejecución demasiada floja y nada reflexiva.
March 24, 2012
The sense of realism combined with one's sheer incapacity to accept such a horrible scenario makes Road to Guantanamo a much scarier and effective experience than any Saw film.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
October 31, 2013
The Road to Guantánamo British documentary/drama directed by Silver Bear winner for Best Director Michael Winterbottom and Mat Whitecross.

Film chronicles the events in the lives of Tipton Three the British boys Ruhal Ahmed, Shafiq Rasul and Asif Iqbal who were captured in 2001 in Afghanistan and detained by the United States there and for more than two years at the detainment camp in Guantánamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba.

U.S. attacked Afghanistan to rid of Taliban and show the taste of democracy to Afghans but since 2002, Afghans have been tasting Hamid Karzai for more than 11 years now - that's good taste, isn't it? Today, the same U.S. has constructed fine lavish cozy official residence to Taliban in Doha (Qatar) for future talks in Afghan government. Remember, the same US government who accused Pakistan of having contacts with Taliban.

I never like people like Tipton Three. These types of people are the ones who further malign Pakistan abroad. They only came for short stay in Pakistan, but look what they added to the country's already shrinking status abroad. Today, majority in the US act and view Pakistan as if 9/11 was perpetrated not by Egyptians and Saudis perpetrators but by Pakistan - or as if Osama was not Saudi but Pakistani.

Musharraf the former dictator of Pakistan dragged the country in this non-ending war and who sent C-130s full of wrongfully accused Pakistani innocent people to the US Guantanamo Bay to earn millions of bounties (as he himself describes this in his memoire 'In the Line of Fire').

They were British who helped in release of Tipton Three otherwise if they were from Pakistan - you wouldn't even have heard about them. Pakistani government and military do not bother if their citizens die of death like a dog.