Roberta Reviews

rubystevens rubystevens
½ August 5, 2010
scott and dunne are nominally the stars here but fred and ginger steal every scene
Lanning :
August 17, 2008
What a cast! And, of course, it's Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Irene Dunne as a super bonus as well. Must say this again: Rogers and Astaire are the dancing couple of all time. More than anyone else, they dance as if they are in love, and their dancing acts out this love. Dancing, for them, is the same as acting.
Calvin C December 3, 2013
Despite Irene Dunne having top billing, this fashion show of a musical is all about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The love story involving Dunne's character and Randolph Scott is standard will they, won't they. It's cute without being mushy. Astaire and Rogers have two of their best song/dance numbers in this movie, which makes this one of their more enjoyable outings. It doesn't hurt that they are helped with a great lead and great music.

Grade: A-
Matt H ½ October 6, 2013
The main plot with Irene Dunne and Randolph Scott is really weak, especially all the stuff about the fashion business. Astaire and Rogers shine alone in this movie, in the (too) few scenes they have together. The movie barely even feels like a musical. Irene Dunne is a solid singer, but I'd have rather have had Ginger have her scenes. I did really like the interplay between Astaire and Rogers in this film; usually in some of their other movies they seem to have to start off resenting each other somehow, but in this they have a good kind of partner relationship right away, and Ginger shines comically as a fake Polish countess (or whatever). As I said, the Astaire/Rogers scenes are among their top notch romantic scenes together, but the movie sadly spends way too much time with the "main" plot.
Jess V August 12, 2012
The dancing is impeccable but perhaps to 21st century eyes, it seems like Fred and Ginger are the stars and not the secondary characters. It makes for an odd focus.
Hannah M ½ December 27, 2010
By far not the best of the films Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers did together. In fact, they're hardly in this one, delegated to background characters while far less interesting or appealing ones take the main stage. Altogether, a very forgettable musical.
HorrorMovieCinema HorrorMovieCinema August 30, 2009
I found this to be a very entertaining musical with some decent mixture of songs, comedy and romance. There are no less than three leading ladies and they all look good. Two of them are big names: Irene Dunne and Ginger Rogers.

There's Fred Astaire in here, too, so I guess we can call this another "Astaire- Rogers film." If so, I think it's one of their best and certainly one of their most underrated. You don't hear much about this movie, and that's unfair.

Rogers and Astaire both have some funny lines in this film and I wish Ginger's role had been bigger. She and Astaire do a couple of tap dance numbers that are excellent - some of their best work together. Dunne's first two songs aren't bad but you have the rest. Her soprano voice almost broke my eardrums, especially with "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes."

Randolph Scott, Helen Westley and Claire Dodd also star in this dated-but-generally fun movie.
K K June 3, 2009
There is something I find appealing about Fred and Ginger's chemistry as old acquaintances with a spark. It feels very different from their starring vehicles where the plot keeps throwing up walls between them. The romantic farce is handled by Scott and Dunne, but the plot feels under-developed even for musical comedy. Problems are introduced that never have a pay off or are resolved instantly. Gets an extra half a star for some classic Astaire and Astaire/Rogers performances including Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and the lesser known gem I'll Be Hard to Handle
Brian S ½ July 20, 2008
not at all my favorite Fred & Ginger movie. while it was nonetheless all-around entertaining, I was unimpressed by the drawn-out fashion show sequences and the overall lack of dancing. what dancing there was was great, but I didn't feel there was enough of it. also Dunne and Scott weren't nearly as electric in the type of roles F&G would later come to make classic. a sharp, wittty musical comedy that unfortunately just lacks the same kind of pizzazz as its bedfellows.
Paul M ½ February 21, 2008
Good film with great cast. Astaire and Rogers are (as usual) fantastic when they dance together. Dunne shows off her singing ability, and Scott just shows off his size.
edgebunny edgebunny ½ January 25, 2007
If only they cut out the other storyline on here with Randolph Scott (snore!). As far as dancing goes, this is my fav Fred and Ginger flick...
SeeTheSun SeeTheSun ½ November 23, 2006