Robin and the Seven Hoods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robin and the Seven Hoods Reviews

sanjurosamurai
January 3, 2007
one of the most fun films Ive ever seen. the music was great and the actors just looked like they had fun making this one. One of my favorites of all time.
August 4, 2008
A face-off between two Chicago prohibition mobsters at its core, the movie is soaked to the brim with the suave and verve of the sixties and the unforgettable rat pack. Excpect off-the-wall and someimes quite explicit one-liners when Dino & Co let their charm ooze of the screen. While some musical numbers feel very much pushed into place, as soon as the boys start singing in duets or triplets, old school magic happens and it is a delight to see numbers featuring Frank, Dean & Bing performing together. Peter Falk shows why he is severely underrated, especially when it comes to campy comedy. The female actrors make for a nice decoration, I guess that fits a movie by the Boys Club that was the late Rat Pack.
keith222
½ November 11, 2008
Frank, Dean and Sammy in a wacky retelling of Robin Hood. Throw in Bing Crosby and Peter Faulk and have Nelson Riddle do all songs and musical arrangements, how could you not have a good time.
½ November 25, 2014
½ September 5, 2013
Robin and the Seven Hoods (Gordon Douglas, 1964)
[originally posted 2Mar2000]

Not long before this started shooting, there was a major rift in the rat pack, and because of that, only three members (Martin, Davis, and Sinatra, of course) show up here. The other two roles were filled in, and quite ably, by Peter Falk and Bing Crosby. And if you like rat pack-style music, having ensemble numbers with Frank, Dean, and Bing is something you're gonna love.

The last half of this movie is good. It ain't Oceans Eleven, but it's good. Too bad the first half moves slower than a snail on ludes. Crosby doesn't show up until an hour into the film, and the action starts right there; before that, what the movie needs most is an editor who isn't afraid of Sinatra. It does, however, have some fine music (Sinatra debuted "My Kind of Town" here), and once it picks up, it's a lot of fun. Watch it when it comes on AMC, but spend the first half hour or so going to the store to get munchies. ** 1/2
½ March 25, 2013
Fun little flick for the Rat Pack. The song "Chicago" was written for Frank in this film. Worth watching just for the one liners and the excellent supporting cast.
January 29, 2013
Even though Sinatra and his rat pack friends won't get awards for acting, they can sure sing and swing. This 1964 musical is fun, has rock-solid performances, puts into comic light the era of glorified gangster crime, and is responsible for bringing "My Kind of Town" into the world.
½ December 9, 2012
This is one of my all time favorite old movies. So fun to watch and very funny. I even enjoyed all the songs. Great great movie.
½ March 6, 2012
A decent song-and-dance comedy picture that revolved mostly around the uninteresting Bing Crosby. Too little Rat Pack. Was well-made however.
½ January 15, 2010
I know I know I know. What is this guy writing about giving this film a 90%? Well, I do not know. The rating system on RT is crazy. Who can put a figure on what moves you?

Well, again, I hate to say it, I saw this first run in the theatre and was mesmerized by it on the big screen. Especially when all these guys, Frank, Dino, Peter, Bing, Sammy.... all were alive and kicking down in Vegas.

Call me sentimental, but you had to be there. No plasma or HDTV screen in your family room is going to do this film any justice.

Lame, sure the plot is a bit lame. The cinematography is good. The acting is a bit rough. But the movie is the Rat Pack. And that's what filled the theatres at the time.

The music score was terrific as well though. My Kind of Town and Style both were huge songs at the time.

Take it to the bank, we won't see the likes of this talent again.
November 27, 2009
Seeing the Rat Pack in action was fun, but this was too drawn out. The songs were not very memorable, and they were too far apart. There was one cool revival scene, but aside from that, I wouldn't watch this movie again.
½ June 1, 2009
I have this one also...great movie by the Rat Pack....Frank Sinatra is cool as a modern day Robin Hood..also great Bing Crosby is in it..good period piece...good costumes....Dean is dapper as always.....Peter Falk is humorous as Guy Gisborne...the big hit song in this film is Chicago (My Kind of Town) by Frank...it was nominated for an Oscar...my favorite scene is where Sammy is singing and tap dancing and firing a gun and then a machine gun...funny...the scene after that they're pouring the liqour down the drain and Dean says 330000 hangovers down the drain that was funny
like Ocean's 11 this was a good movie with the Rat Pack I'd recommend it to anyone
Cherilyn
½ October 6, 2008
Back when they really knew how to make movies. The whole gang is in top form, minus Peter Lawford. The movie is fun and really great for almost any age.
August 7, 2008
5 Stars for the cast. The movie itself is only so-so. Not to be missed if you're a Rat Pack fan.
One of the rare chances to see Bing and Frank together (see also High Society).
July 22, 2008
this film was very much underrated and is a great sinatra classic that will fill your families hearts with the songs and laughters of the rat pack
½ July 7, 2008
even though there was sadness around the making of this movie, it was great to see Dean, Frank, Sammy and Bing...
March 11, 2008
Great music and some show stopping performances liven up what is a pretty bland story. Worth seeing just to see all these guys having so much fun.
July 19, 2007
These guys are about as hardcore as a bag of wet hammers. When doing gangster movies there's a certain level of credibility involved. The involvement of the Rat Pack and Bing Crosby shot this movie's credibility straight to Hades.
July 14, 2007
A great assemblage of talent. Sinatra, Martin, Davis and Crosby all complement each other and are allowed to shine in the film's great music numbers. The first Rat Pack film I saw and will always be one of my favorites.