• PG-13, 1 hr. 45 min.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights Reviews

aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

May 13, 2008
Ugh... what's to like about this movie? No, seriously, what'sto like? Sure it's Mel Brooks', but the humor is less than "borderline". I was in shame by how low the cracks were. I just couldn't believe how unfunny this was.

Yep, that's right, Mel Brooks' brings forth his spoof of Robin Hood. As King Richard is away, Prince John is left to look after things, but gets engulfed in his power. Robin is helping a former cellmate of his - Asneeze - look after his son - Achoo. So, he returns to England and finds himself faced with the law, present with his one true love, and allied with a bunch of men... in tights.

Anyway, long story short, this movie was not funny and I'll tell you why. The jokes were lame, too many self-spoofed puns came out of Brooks. It seemed rushed, the literal jokes were off balance, a number of times someone would look directly into the camera.. even when they weren't breaking the forth wall. It was a pathetic attempt at humor

[more will come later... and sorry for the lacking speech of my review]
Apeneck F

July 18, 2007
One of Mel Brooks lesser efforts still has it's guilty pleasures as well as the usual collection of Brooksian toilet gags. While much is disposable, and you will, there undoubtably is one something joke or gag that'll have you smiling to yourself the next day at work. Don't bother repeating it, they would've had to have been there.
Phil H

August 23, 2007
There are a few scenes here that raise a smile but generally this is a poor spoof. Elwes is pretty good at ripping off Errol Flynn and achieves kudos for actually looking like him..sort of, Lewis is terrific as 'Prince John' with his dialog...'hurt them! hurt them!!' but that's about it.

Don't get me wrong I love Brooks and his work, I'm a huge fan, but this really seems like he's spoofing just for the hell of it. It never really seemed as if much thought had gone into the gags, its all very childish visual work which is fine but since when was Brooks a kiddie film maker?

The characters weren't well realised either frankly, very poor casting, they gave the impression none had ever been behind a camera before...accept for Elwes and Lewis who saved the film from utter crapola.

Brooks other films do actually look good I might add, this looks terrible, obvious sets, poor cheap effects and cheap looking costumes, very disappointing overall.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 10, 2007
Charmingly fun and one of the best parodies of all time, despite the fact that most of the jokes are kind of bad and cheap. What makes up for that though is the big glint in its eye combined with a very likable cast. And it was hilarious to see Patrick Stewart in such an unusual role. Especially as I'm more used to seeing him as the all-too-uptight Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek TNG.
Al S

December 26, 2010
One of the funniest movies ever made. Director, Mel Brooks never fails create a brilliant parody that has lots of energy and great spirit. An outrageously hilarious comedy that delivers. Anyone you is in the mood for a good laugh should see this film. Cary Elwes is wonderfully perfect with his genius comedic performance.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Mel Brooks decides to tackle Robin Hood, and the result is a film that is star studded, pretty clever, and really freaking hilarious. One of my personal favorite bits is how they rip on the Cosner version over the fact that he didn't really use much of an accent.

This isn't one of Brooks' best, but it's one of the best of his during the time period came out. That's not saying much though. What I'm trying to say is that this is one of the better of his lesser films.

This isn't really the most necessary film, as Robin Hood is done to death, but I can't help but get cracked up by this every time I see it, which is something you owe to yourself to do, too.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
2 stars
Spencer S

April 4, 2010
Mel Brooks is great as ever, and Elwes is the perfect fit for the role, but there was a spark missing.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Hysterical. One of Mel Brooks' best!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
This Movie is truly a Guilty Joy.
Conner R

November 30, 2009
An incredibly bad movie and weak attempt from Mel Brooks. What I've come to realize is that his movies are either really good or complete disasters. This was a disaster. I don't know where they came off simply making fun of one of the most beloved characters of all time, but they do it in such a cruel and idiotic way.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Not great, Mel Brooks never really recovered!
Screeny
Screeny

January 27, 2009
What's to like?!
deano
deano

February 18, 2007
Director Mel Brooks' rude comic shtick seems pretty shopworn these days, although there are some genuine laughs.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
one of the funniest movies ever. must see for all
Tim S

July 30, 2007
At least I met Dave Chapelle.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 24, 2007
Okay.
Stephen M

September 22, 2007
Mel Brooks is too funny a man to make an absolutely dreadful film. This comes quite close at times but there are a few good gags.
EightThirty .