Robot Jox

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Robot Jox Reviews

July 20, 2014
A great little late 80s low budget sci fi with horrid acting and hilarious stereotyping. Just short of a really memorable 80s movie. Very Watchable.
Phil H

October 23, 2011
Some epic robot/mecha fighting going on here with some epic stop motion effects hehe well sort of, its certainly very dated and looks more like an episode of 'Red Dwarf' than a film but its so gloriously tacky and fun.

A Band production (he does churn them out) which does seem to bare a small similarity to the recent 'Reel Steel' but admittedly is more of a mech film. Basically trained fighters combat in massive mechs for control of certain parts of the world which hold value but the fighters are part of a 'Formula 1' type team. Its chock full of silly sci-fi and wonderfully cheesy effects and bluescreen, some of which looks OK some of which looks nasty, but one things for sure the cast do their best to make it seem serious *chuckle*.

Its very easy going stuff and perfect for those sci-fi hounds out there that love a good B-movie and I'm sure we all know of Mr Band's work. Goodies wear white and are team America where as the baddies wear black and are naughty evil team Russia (boo! hiss!) 'crash n burn'.
January 1, 2014
If someone forced me to watch either "Transformers," "Pacific Rim," or "Robot Jox," I would probably go with "Robot Jox." That's not to say this is a good movie. It's the very definition of a B-movie, but it's a good B-movie, and at the end of the day I'd rather watch a good B-movie than a bad A-movie.

The plot is ridiculous to the point of it being unintentionally funny at times. However, this is more of a "so ridiculous it's good" rather than a "so bad it's good." The two semi-sequels "Robot Jox 2: Robot Wars" and "Robot Jox 2: Crash and Burn" are more of the "so bad it's good" variety. By the way, that wasn't a typo, both of the semi-sequels were #2, but neither had anything to do with Robot Jox besides the fact that they had giant robots in them.

At the end of the day, this was silly, funny, and comprehensible. Fans of B-movies should know that a comprehensible plot is not a given by any stretch of the imagination.

If you like 80's sci-fi, giant robots, and B-movies, then I highly recommend this movie to you. If not, stay away. Stay far away.
August 1, 2013
America's first attempt at a live-action giant robot movie. And it really crashed and burned. Go watch Pacific Rim instead.
July 29, 2013
Robot Jox was the half aborted and unfortunate first of american (B) movies to imitate Japan-mecha. All is ok while stop-motion robots battle, less so when budget constraints and a not so stellar cast cancel viewer's mojo instead of the apocalypse. Beside it's memorable flaws, it's a venerable experiment. Batteries and Jeffrey Combs included, but hard to spot.
July 25, 2013
I don't how I can finish this, it is damn awful. But in 1989, it was a breakthrough I guess. Just not now.
Anthony L

July 22, 2013
Stuart Gordon is a legend, just don't give him too much money. Robot Jox was made for nothing and it is beautiful, Space Truckers had a good budget and was awful. Stuart Gordon is a cult b-movie master and should remain so. The effects are old school, give me this over Real Steel and Transformers any day. This is late night, early 90's b-movie gold, it never won any awards but I love everything about it. Jeffrey Combs could have had a bigger part though.
July 6, 2013
I'm truly excited about watching Pacific Rim?. But I have to admit this film was a ground breaking achievement even if it didn't make money at the box office. It was ahead of it's time and was the closest I could get to a live action giant robot vs robot movie during the time. It was also the time when I got exposed to BattleTech and the Transformers TV series. So it was awesome to see something like this during the time. Definitely brings back good childhood memories!
July 2, 2013
Otippat bra postapokalyptisk B-scifi. Stora robotar brottas i öknen, och i kulisserna frodas lögner, avundsjuka, svek och dubbelspel. All cred till skådisarna och filmmakarna som verkligen försökte.
December 16, 2012
I want to watch Robot Jox.
Pan C.
April 2, 2013
There's nothing irrideemably wrong with this movie, well, nothing except the pacing. The combat in particular is so terrifyingly slow that it would almost literally be faster to fight a conventional war than to use these robot fights to determine the outcome instead. I suppose it's meant to give an impression of how big these things are, but really, it's slow. It's practically worse than most 1920's and 30's movies, which have the excuse of being 1920's and 30's movies. No, I would not recommend this movie, to pretty much anyone.
February 21, 2013
While this movie could have at least been cheesy and bad, all is was was boring. The movie has almost no action. Most of it is just boring plot. It might be possible to get a few laughs out of it, but for the most part, you can skip this one.
February 21, 2013
settle your beefs with 10-ton machines?! AWESOME!!
December 22, 2012
This is one of the most underrated unappreciated sci-fy movies of all time. The plot is great, the special effects are great considering the time it was made and the budget the movie had, the acting is.. eh, but what do you expect from a semi-cheesy 80s sci-fy movie. A must watch for any sci-fy fan.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
November 26, 2012
This is a terrible movie. But I was 9, and it had boobies.
August 16, 2007
Lets go down the list,
Terrible acting - check
Convoluted plot - check
Really bad effects - check
Giant robots beating the crap out of each other - check
Fat villain in a cowboy hat - check
Lame ending - double check
Yep, it is my kind of movie.
August 7, 2012
I grew up LOVING this movie. I also grew up LOVING "Fortress" and didn't know until JUST NOW that they had the same director! Go figure right? They're on about the same level. They rule, they're cheesy, and they just don't make them like this anymore.
August 4, 2012
Barely bad enough to be funny. Half decent stop motion robot fight right at the end though.
July 23, 2012
Robot Jox will remain a frontier of its time for mecha wars. If we take a look at it now, it's just silly however Robot Jox gave way for this fiction of robots battling for humanity.