Robot & Frank Reviews

½ July 12, 2015
Robot and Frank is both touching and moving when it comes to the movie story line, as the chemistry between the old man and the robot was spot on great and the highlight of the movie easily, but I really wish this was in a better movie. The movie isn't terrible but the movie didn't really interest in some scenes and I'm not going to re-watch this movie anytime soon. The movie is decent at least.
½ July 5, 2015
Didn't like this movie at all. Despite the big names, it felt totally flat and cartoonish for me.
May 22, 2015
A good case study of man and machine with an intriguing manipulation and development.
May 21, 2015
Best film I've seen in what seems like ages, driven by the central performance
May 18, 2015
Robot and Frank is an amazing indie movie that I'm glad to see that director Jake Schreier is directing Paper Towns. Frank Langella is great, and it's the first time I ever seen him in a movie. Susan Sarandon, James Marsden, and Liv Tyler are great in it also, but one of the highlights of the film is Peter Sarsgaard as the robot. The chemistry between Frank and the robot are such a delight to watch while having a lot of funny moments to spare. The soundtrack is really catchy and it gives off a bit of a future vibe which fits in to this movie. It's refreshing to see that the robot itself, knows that it's a robot, while having some human moments that worked out quite nicely. Robot and Frank is a nicely done film that it's a shame that we don't get films like this in theaters.
January 3, 2014
Cute film. Nice Twist.

I'm not a big fan of "happy endings" How has Frank changed as a person? He now likes Robots? eh...
½ April 6, 2015
A former jewel thief in denial of his memory lapses is forced to live with a health care robot (not an inflatable one) who unwittingly becomes his accomplice in chasing the illicit burglary thrills that once landed the thief in the slammer but nevertheless gave meaning to his life.

Robot is rather cute in its na´ve approach to the world, but I find it hard to believe that the programmers didn't give him more common sense. The cold social interactions between Robot and the older biblio model, Mr. Darcy, are quite hilarious, and Susan Sarandon makes a nerdy/sexy librarian. The estranged father/son relationship as played by Frank Langella and James Marsden is compelling, but the human vs. robot rights debate broached by Liv Tyler's daughter character doesn't really go anywhere.
March 13, 2015
an enjoyably diverting picture that gets by on the charm of its premise, such as it is, most of the film is tilted toward overt sentiment instead of inquiry, a much sharper script could have honed in its focus significantly
January 30, 2015
A great performance from Langella elevates this from merely enjoyable to something more essential and far more rewarding. Full review later.
½ January 21, 2015
Robot & Frank features some pretty good acting. Frank Langella, Peter Sarsgaard, James Marsden and even Rachael Ma in the robot suit all give very believable performances. However, I found Frank to be an unlikeable character. I wasn't rooting for him. Plus, the plot seems watered down and stretched out, even with a runtime of only 89 minutes. This should have been a short film instead of a feature film.
January 19, 2015
Quiet and original. Simple, yet layered. And just about perfect
January 7, 2015
An old man developing Alzheimer's, or at least memory problems, is given a Robot to help take care of him by his son. He is at first reluctant to take the Robot, but warms up to him when he discovers he can teach the Robot to help him steal stuff...because he was once a burglar, and now he can be again with help! I love that this could have easily been too schmaltzy by making it some sweet old man, or even a grumpy old man who gets his heart warmed by the most unlikely of people, a Robot...no, he is a grumpy old criminal, who doesn't want the Robot until he realizes he can properly commit crimes again. It is a fine movie, and Langella is great in it. It was a fun little caper film with a twist or two.
January 5, 2015
Instead of world ending, post-apocalyptic shenanigans that you usually find when it comes to our robot-certain future, Robot & Frank treats it on a more human scale, in a more attainable world. It has a lighter touch, and Langella holds the movie up effortlessly as a retired cat burglar losing touch with his memory, but finding a connection with the most unlikely of companions as a partner in crime. Will robots end up being more than just that? This movie doesn't answer the question, but it's not trying to. It's just showing us how we might be with them, which might lead to more of the same. If that means friendship in unlikely places, then we'd be all the better for it.
January 3, 2015
Best movie I've seen in a while. Super engaging, often heartfelt and thoroughly fun.
½ January 2, 2015
A quite delightful film that will leave you longing for your own robot, even if Peter Sarsgaard's voice is slightly creepy.
½ December 20, 2014
Robot and Frank is a somber and refreshingly light comedy about uncanny friendships and the delirium that approaches a man as he continues to enter old age. Frank Langella's wonderfully deft performance is delightfully accompanied by the voice-acting of Peter Sarsgaard. The film is sporadically funny, sweet, and albeit quirky, but the poignant tale of the relationship between man and machine is wonderful.
February 10, 2013
It was good, strong cast, and interesting story.
December 13, 2014
my kind of movie, i love love love movie about elderly :)
½ November 26, 2014
/B/ A nice premise that is fairly well-executed.
½ November 5, 2014
Interesting concept. Langella is delightful to watch as he interacts with the Robot. Underrated gem.