Robot Stories Reviews

February 21, 2013
some clever ideas. low budget, but worth a look.
½ May 12, 2012
Not a bad little film, but that's about all that stands out.
March 4, 2012
I like stories about robots. That being said, that isn't a story about robots. It's four stories about robots. This makes it seem more like watching a marathon of a television show than a movie.

One story I liked "Machine Love", one story I didn't like "The Robot Fixer" and the other two were average.
½ February 8, 2012
4 different stories, 1 movie. I only liked 2 but the concepts of all are interesting and all of them are well acted.
Wizenhymer
½ October 29, 2011
A collection of 4 short stories all revolving around robots (as the title implies). The stories have a kind of Twilight Zone feel to them but none are very good. My favorite was the third story, a tale of two robots who seek love. Definitely not the most original story but it was interesting.

Each story is about the length of a TV Show minus the commercials.

Acting: 6/10
Story: 6/10
Originalality: 7/10
Soundtrack: 4/10
Characters: 4/10
Overall Rating: 5.4/10
maxthesax
½ January 18, 2011
Robot Stories is an indie film that apparently had a budget of about five dollars. As the title indicates, there are four short stories, dealing with artificial intelligence in one form or another.

There is very little heavy lifting on display here; no deep sci-fi ala Philip K. Dick or even pondering the ethics of Robotic Code, or, except for the last tale, any pondering of morality or the soul, as one gets with Asimov. Belying the title, these series of stories are concerned more with simple human elements, and really, robotics, or AI have very little to do with it.

For example: the first story, entitled Robot Baby, deals with parenting more than anything. A young, successful career couple decides to have a child - only in this future scenario the couple must first tend and nurture a robot baby. There is a nice twist at the end of this story, which makes the viewing viable, but really, without the twist the story is very "been there, seen that".

The second story is so very "so what" that I'm not even going to give it a second thought, while the third has only a "cute" factor going for it, along with one of two decent performance in the film (oddly by the writer/director himself - hmmm, perhaps the entire project was merely a way for him to show off his robotic shtick).

The fourth story has a bit of gravitas to it, containing the other bright performance, in a tale dealing with questions of the soul and the definition of humanity. Here there is a bit of artistry in the filmmaking, but otherwise the stories are all very straight forward, and the direction and cinematography echo that.

Overall, nothing to write home about, or even truly recommend.
October 15, 2010
Fun, low-budget sci-fi vignettes. The stories vary in quality, with #2 and #4 being my favorites.
½ August 30, 2010
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
½ June 23, 2010
The stories could have been a little more developed,with some twist endings, but still, not bad.
July 1, 2007
some clever ideas. low budget, but worth a look.
½ June 8, 2007
I like the concept of fout stories all linked together, with robots as the common factor. All the stories are good, the last one the only one not that interesting, and the second one being the best. Interesting, entertaining and very well acted throughout.
Harlequin68
½ April 14, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Robot Stories" is a collection of four short films written and directed by Greg Pak.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]1. My Robot Baby: Marcia(Tamlyn Tomita) and Roy(James Saito) are a young couple seeking to adopt a baby but first they are given a robot baby in order to discern what kind of parents they would make.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]2. The Robot Fixer: a mother(Wai Ching Ho) seeks to reach through to her comatose son through his old toys.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]3. Machine Love: an android, Archie(Greg Pak), is employed at a company as a computer programmer.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]4. Clay: John Lee(Sab Shimono), a sculptor, learns he is dying and must now decide whether or not he wants his brain digitally scanned for posterity.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]All four stories are touching and poignant tales about the human condition. It helps that they all emphasize character over technology.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Note: Greg Pak is also a very good comic book writer.[/font]
½ October 3, 2005
Artificial Intelligence has been highlighted in many a film. Whether it?s the villain ([i]The Matrix[/i], [i]Terminator[/i]), or the victim ([i]A.I.[/i]) it?s a hot topic, especially with the recent emergence of AI prototypes. What will become of our society and our humanity once they become ubiquitous? These are the issues that the creative but ultimately unsatisfying [i]Robot Stories[/i] poses.

Told in four separate stories, the film opens with a vignette about a childless couple who want to adopt, but first they have to pass a parenting test. To ensure that they will be good parents, they have to care for an egg-shaped robot ?baby? that will record how well or poorly it is taken care of. Things begin just fine, but soon the wife finds herself becoming abusive like her mother before her. Breaking down, she realizes her failure, but the robot baby coos and comforts her, and then she begins to really love it.

The second vignette is BORING. A genius computer programmer is in a vegetative state which forces his mother to come to grips with how she raised him, and she ends up becoming obsessed with his toys in an attempt to get close to him.

The third vignette is aptly titled ?Robot Love? where a humanoid office worker observes the office romances and adapts his personality to make room for that in his own life and falls in love with a ?female? humanoid worker from the next office building which culminates in a love-making scene where they push each other?s buttons to climax. Yeah?okay.

The fourth vignette is by far the best. In the near future people don?t die, instead, they upload their consciousness into a computer mainframe which lets them still interact with the world via a holographic projection. A dying sculptor struggles with his desire to experience life as it was meant to be and being with his wife who is always with him via a holographic projection. It?s very interesting in that it questions what makes us human, but this story isn?t enough to salvage the motley array of futuristic visions.
½ April 28, 2005
Uneven, and looks like an 80's movie.
February 21, 2005
[b]DVD[/b] First Viewing, 1 Pak film seen

[i]Robot Stories [/i]is a compilation of four short films by director Greg Pak. All involve some form of robot interaction with humans. The third one was my favorite. It was the only one I truly felt an emotional connection with - even though they are all supposed to be deeply involving. It's worth checking out, but it's no [i]Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior [/i](that was random).