Movies Like Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles Reviews

RachelJezel
March 16, 2010
Excellent animation especially for it's vivid coloring techngique, and a decent movie if you know a little about Robotech. If you know *alot* about Robotech you will be able to find alot of flaws and it may not be as enjoyable. Also, the decision to cut between hand-drawn animation and CG (crappy CG, at that) is a curious one and doesn't work well at all. In fact, even if the CG weren't so horrible, the mesh would proably still fail. The characters attmept to be 3-dimensional, but the attempt is not very successful. Overall, passable but far from great and probably not worthy of such a great franchise...
hopsonme
June 14, 2009
Long over due ..The continuing saga of the Robotech defenders fight agains alien invaders trying ot ontrol the Earth and Protoculture.
Saladin208
June 5, 2009
Just a little bit of retconning and a whole lot of rebooting. Looking forward to the next installment on this.
September 25, 2008
A kinda so-so viewing experience, as I wasn't too familiar with the series since the original series aired on television. The overall feeling was that they tried to give something of a re-cap of the series, but it's a little too much information to throw at an audience during the short 88 minute run-time.

The CGI doesn't mix very well with the cel animation either, it's pretty glaring when it's onscreen.

Great for fans, but possibly too much information for the novice.
firstamb
August 4, 2008
Lee and Yune attempt to reinvent the cliffhanger at the end of the epic Robotech saga, originally based on three different Japanese animated seies, Macross, Southern Cross, and New Generation Climber Mesopeda. In this film, the expeditionary forces of Earth return to retake the planet from the Invid, and try to find Admiral Hunter, who sends out a distress call that his ship is not able to make the jump to join them. Although not nearly as organic, because it's more CG and cell animation, it still tells a story, which in repeat viewings is not really the expedition's return, but rather, Scot Bernard's reconciliation with the princess, Ariel, an Invid agent who has switched sides. The main problem is that it's so connected with the previous saga it has trouble telling the story without trampling canon.
September 5, 2008
amazing, where was I when this show was still running way back when, but it is now my mission to get all of the episodes so I can back track through it. Everyone knows aliens and humans are a good mix. It's just a win win for everyone!!
September 5, 2008
Blah! Why.. oh why! Kasdan is working on the new script for the live action movie which should be really good.
xandiXlizXmackix
September 23, 2007
What can I say about "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles"? It's a very good sci-fi anime feature featuring a futuristic war between the Invid and humanity fighting to recover their home planet Earth. Even worse than the war is a treacherous mystery that could tear apart heroes and threaten their survival. The action-packed sequences are great, and, oh my goodness, that pink-haired Ariel is so hot to me! This film features good voice acting performances such as Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson and great music performed by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. With my great interest in science fiction flicks, especially anime ones, I'm definitely looking for more "Robotech".
montoyr
October 11, 2007
I know exactly what Harmony Gold is up to. They're trying to create a new chapter of Robotech while at the same time keeping the feel of what made it work before. A worthy effort, but still I think could have been better...
mrbryo
June 7, 2007
Great anime but it was more geared toward a new audience instead of the existing audience (understandable though).
yoshao
May 21, 2007
ROBOTECH LIVES! Man, i gotta tell ya, this is a great movie! I would have preferred Harmony Gold doing another series as opposed to a feature length movie, but this was just amazing, so I will forgive them and let them continue to live...for now. Kick-ass movie! Can't wait to see the next one, and the next one and the next one....etc..etc...etc..
unclebusu
May 18, 2007
I waited half my life for this? Not horrible, but if you have no emoitonal ties to the series then this will bore the crap out of you. The CGI mixed with traditional animation was a bad idea but luckily most of it is old school. Not bad, but could've been better. I'll look forward to another one soon?
chrisfoley3
March 26, 2007
The best anime movie i've ever seen. Great way to continue the original 1985 series. I highly recommend it. you dont even need to see the original series to know whats going on.
May 31, 2014
It's nice to see a continuation from the original series, but this film ultimately ends the same was as the series. It doesn't settle too many ties, it still ends mysteriously, and it gets fairly predictable. The animation is so-so, and the characters aren't the most interesting compared to the cartoon show. It ends up feeling like an extended episode, one of the more lackluster ones.
Zach Olmstead
March 11, 2010
Filled with plenty of Anime special effects, but lacking good execution and enough originality to make this film worthwhile.
gmalva
April 25, 2008
Given that this comes 15-20 years after the last episode of Robotech, I think it is a worthy sequel with a good plot, good job! The graphic is now mixed 3D/2D, but the characters sometimes move like dolls; however I am not a technician and they claim they got prizes for the graphics... Overall I am anyway quite satisfied, I hope they will do a full animated series now!