Rock Haven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rock Haven Reviews

½ August 25, 2008
Typical coming out plot, acting is decent, and the scenes at the beach are overwhelming but still enjoyable. The guys are cute and the nude scene was hot! It is a b-movie after all!
March 14, 2014
One of the best coming-of-age movies I've seen! One could easily tell it had a very low budget, so it relied completely on the story and the performance of the actors, and for me both were very solid!
January 1, 2008
[i]Rock Haven[/i] - a powerfully, subdued coming-of-age romance - touches the heart and soul of queer cinema. It's rare that a GLBT flick has any substance and/or any real message to convey to its audience. But [i]Rock Haven[/i] holds a universal truth - that homosexuality and spirituality are compatible and can co-exist in the same corporeal vessel.

Actor Sean Hoagland - a straight boy in real life - plays the tender and wholehearted Brady, a devoted servant of the church who experiences an inner yearning for the object of his affection, the pretentious young and hung Clifford, mischievously and effortlessly played by Owen Alabado.

The screenplay is a simple tale, brilliantly told, and magnificently filmed near rural San Francisco. One pivotal scene sent shivers up and down my whole body: where Brady innocently shifts his eyes back and forth, and stares deep into Clifford's eyes.

Add a quiet, yet palpitating performance of fundamentalist mother Marty (Laura Jane Coles) and you have a spiritual tale filled with contradictions and conflict that hits right at the core of every gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered individual who has ever attempted to reconcile their religious faith with their sexual orientation.

Kudos should be extended to Director/Writer David Lewis for creating one of the most beautifully colorful tapestries on any movie since [i]Legend[/i]. I have never seen so many varied hues and pastels in my entire cinematic-watching life (no substitute for the fall colors in Upper Michigan or New Hampshire).

You can tell the good ones from the great ones, and Sean, you have the potential to be one of the great ones. You engage the audience with your charisma and you bedazzle with your hot body as well.
October 19, 2008
The beautiful scenery is a plus, good cinematography. The story is pleasant, but the dialogue is awkward at times. But over all, it is a very sensitively made, a thoughtful and beautiful film. The acting is good, great score.
½ May 14, 2008
The acting in this "movie" is probably the worst I have seen in my life. The people that perform in it are not actors and the thing itself I should not dare call a movie because what it amounts to is something that is well below the classification of movie or film. Horrible.