Rock Haven Reviews

March 14, 2014
One of the best coming-of-age movies I've seen! One could easily tell it had a very low budget, so it relied completely on the story and the performance of the actors, and for me both were very solid!
October 15, 2012
Wow... If you wanna see a gay film, then don't pick this. The best bits were full nudity from the boys (Clifford is hung) & Clifford's mum was a bit of a legend... She was also the only one that could remotely act. Other than that it was dull, uninspired, with a snoozeworthy script with no depth or thought really. If you want a religious romantic tearaway of queer cinema the Latter Days is for you. Not this.
February 13, 2009
Nice movie , but i didn`t like the end !! The end ruined the whole movie ! Arrrgh . . .
January 1, 2008
[i]Rock Haven[/i] - a powerfully, subdued coming-of-age romance - touches the heart and soul of queer cinema. It's rare that a GLBT flick has any substance and/or any real message to convey to its audience. But [i]Rock Haven[/i] holds a universal truth - that homosexuality and spirituality are compatible and can co-exist in the same corporeal vessel.

Actor Sean Hoagland - a straight boy in real life - plays the tender and wholehearted Brady, a devoted servant of the church who experiences an inner yearning for the object of his affection, the pretentious young and hung Clifford, mischievously and effortlessly played by Owen Alabado.

The screenplay is a simple tale, brilliantly told, and magnificently filmed near rural San Francisco. One pivotal scene sent shivers up and down my whole body: where Brady innocently shifts his eyes back and forth, and stares deep into Clifford's eyes.

Add a quiet, yet palpitating performance of fundamentalist mother Marty (Laura Jane Coles) and you have a spiritual tale filled with contradictions and conflict that hits right at the core of every gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered individual who has ever attempted to reconcile their religious faith with their sexual orientation.

Kudos should be extended to Director/Writer David Lewis for creating one of the most beautifully colorful tapestries on any movie since [i]Legend[/i]. I have never seen so many varied hues and pastels in my entire cinematic-watching life (no substitute for the fall colors in Upper Michigan or New Hampshire).

You can tell the good ones from the great ones, and Sean, you have the potential to be one of the great ones. You engage the audience with your charisma and you bedazzle with your hot body as well.
½ August 7, 2008
Movies portraying the clash between religion and homosexuality have been done gazillion times before, and by no means is this movie like Latter Days or like Prayers for Bobby - it's flat out bad.

The only word that comes to mind to describe it is tedious. The plot is like it was written by a 12-year old who has doubts about his sexuality and the internal battles of the characters are portrayed very poorly. Here is this guy who can tell you whichever passage of the Bible you choose and yet all goes out the window when he meets hot gay stud. And after he's slept with him he remembers it's a sin! Dear Lord. Seriously now.

Maybe one positive I found is the fact that we actually see nudity - full frontal nudity - because most movies only show from the waist above.

A very silly movie, with terrible direction, terrible acting and poor expansion. I didn't believe the romance or the..."love" between two main characters for a second, let alone believe they were meant to be together when they've never really talked but only made out. If I was the hot stud and the guy I liked gave me the Bible to read as a present and kept telling me what I'm doing is an abomination, I swear I'd punch him not kiss him!

I've ranted enough I deem. Just needed to get out of me.
December 16, 2008
... you must bein a relleaxed mood to follow the inner dramas (Christianity) of those 2 guys and their crazy mothers ... all of them great actors ... my heart was crying, seeing all this ... filmed in a romantic landscape ... for peolple with a heart ...
October 19, 2008
The beautiful scenery is a plus, good cinematography. The story is pleasant, but the dialogue is awkward at times. But over all, it is a very sensitively made, a thoughtful and beautiful film. The acting is good, great score.
½ August 25, 2008
Typical coming out plot, acting is decent, and the scenes at the beach are overwhelming but still enjoyable. The guys are cute and the nude scene was hot! It is a b-movie after all!
½ August 25, 2008
July 23, 2008
½ May 14, 2008
The acting in this "movie" is probably the worst I have seen in my life. The people that perform in it are not actors and the thing itself I should not dare call a movie because what it amounts to is something that is well below the classification of movie or film. Horrible.
March 15, 2008
Looks so cute I could gag