Critics Consensus: Rock of Ages Hits a Sour Note

Plus, That's My Boy is juvenile.

This week at the movies, we've got a rock 'n' roll romance (Rock of Ages, starring Julianne Hough and Tom Cruise) and some father-son bonding (That's My Boy, starring Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg). What do the critics have to say?

Rock of Ages

41%

Given the runaway success of Glee, it's no surprise that the hit jukebox musical Rock of Ages -- featuring songs by Journey, Bon Jovi, Poison, and the like -- made the transition from the stage to the screen. Unfortunately, critics say this headbanger's ball is unlikely to rock you like a hurricane; though it provides some campy thrills, the film is overstuffed with underdeveloped characters and plot strands. Rock of Ages stars Julianne Hough as Sherrie, a small town girl with dreams of rock stardom. She works at a struggling club on the Sunset Strip, where high-maintenance rock god Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) rules the scene. The pundits say Rock of Ages' talented cast (especially Cruise) is clearly having a lot of fun, but the plot is wafer thin and the antics surprisingly tame, given the excess of the period it's supposedly celebrating. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Cruise's best-reviewed movies.)

That's My Boy

20%

Adam Sandler has never exactly been a critical darling, but his most recent starring vehicles (Jack and Jill, Just Go with It, Grown Ups) have been rated lower than usual. The trend continues with That's My Boy, which critics say is more juvenile than most Happy Madison Productions. The Sandman stars as Donny, who fathered a son named Todd (played by Andy Samberg as a grownup) while in middle school; when Todd turned 18, Donny disappeared from his son's life. Now strapped for cash, Donny attempts to end their estrangement in order to persuade Todd to take part in a reality TV show; hilarity, in the form of familial discord, ensues. The pundits say That's My Boy has a few decent lowbrow yuks, but it's relentlessly sophomoric and tasteless. (Check out 24 Frames for a pictorial rundown of Sandler's most memorable roles.)

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I'm predicting that Prometheus will win the box office this week. That's not just my fandom talking - I have a strategy. First, these new films blow. Second, they are from an entirely different demo. Madagascar will fall off slightly. Prometheus has been too controversial, anyone who has not yet see it will want to in order to join the discussion. Many who have seen it will want to watch it again for digestion. That's just my call, and I don't normally make such predictions.

Extraterrestrial, Americano, and Patang all look like their worth a look. Tahrir looks good, maybe it'll play on PBS soon.

Jun 14 - 04:45 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

I think PROMETHEUS deserves a shot, although I have a feeling MADAGASCAR 3 is going to reign for awhile. I shudder to think how many kids will sneak into THAT'S MY BOY.

Jun 14 - 05:00 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I agree with you Chris. Rock of Ages and That's My Boy will do decently, but Madagascar 3 will reign once again (of course Brave comes next weekend and will take the box office throne then). My guess is that Prometheus takes a massive drop because audience reception has been less than ideal during the opening weekend. That's My Boy and Rock of Ages will compete for 2nd place.

Jun 14 - 05:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I really want to see Rock of Ages bomb. "Music by Journey, Bon Jovi, Poison". Look, I was alive in the 80s, and I can't quite convey the sheer relief of the popularity of Guns'n'Roses, Metallica and later Grunge, groups that could eat those posers like pixie-stix. That hairspray-rock does not deserve to be revisited.

Jun 14 - 05:24 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Janson, in the words of Motley Crue "don't think because a guy wears lip stick that he won't whoop your ass." Those guys did things during their careers that would have put Lars Ulrich's Napster hating ass in the ground long ago. At least 3 of those guys are lucky to be alive today, especially Nikki Sixx. I'll grant you Bon Jovi, Journey and Poison aren't that hard core, but the era wasn't without its legitimate rock stars like Ozzy-post Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and KIZZ. I was as dazzled as you were I'm sure by Smells Like Teen Spirit, but the hairband era was not without its charms.

P.S. Axel Rose is a pussy.

Jun 15 - 03:54 AM

Janson Jinnistan

It ain't the lipstick or the drugs that matter, it's the music, and all that Hair-metal was just silly Pop music with louder guitars. Just as Hip Hop had to unsettle the rut of R/B at the time, the "lollapalooza" era (roughly 88-94) had to unsettle the stagnation of refried Stones and Kiss (not that good to begin with) riffs of 80s corporate-rock.

PS: It was always about Slash. That used to be fairly understood.

Jun 15 - 07:18 AM

Paul Atreides

I believe Tommy Lee stated the 'makeup and kicking ass' line (on the set of the video for 'Looks that Kill', if I'm not mistaken)... a bean pole who probably couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper sack (f*%*, maybe... but not fight). No one is going to argue with the excesses that musical period is known for--especially certain bands--but that doesn't necessarily give the music any credibility. And Metallica (including Ulrich, naturally) was known for a period of time as 'Alcoholica' for good reason. What sets bands like Metallica--and later, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc.--apart from bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and Kiss (yes, I said it) isn't just a lack of posing and/or selling out... it's instrumental and song writing talent, LOL. Some people are more into music for the presentation... to each their own. That being said, I'll be happy to see 'Rock of Ages' bomb as well. I was a Hendrix, Floyd, and Zeppelin man all through that period of posers known as the 80's, same as I am now.

Jun 15 - 12:39 PM

Fred Brooks

Early word on friday's numbers is that PROMETHEUS finshed with more money than ROCK OF AGES & THAT'S MY BOY, so it looks like PROMETHEUS will be finishing second to MADAGASCAR 3 again this weekend.

Jun 16 - 02:44 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

PROMETHEUS IS HORRIBLE . . . the worst PIECE OF CRAP in years. and yeahhhh why didn't "The Mean Lady" roll out of the way of the crashing ship as did "The Abortion Lady" . . . the entire experience of watching PROMETHEUS was excruciating.

Jun 14 - 07:35 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

excruciatingly-painful.

Jun 14 - 07:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm sure it was that much worse than either the Fraday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street remakes - HEY EV'BODY! KEEP IN MIND GORDON LOVED DEVIL INSIDE BTW!

Jun 14 - 08:16 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

If you have nothing nice to say about Prometheus...then don't even bring it up. ;)

Jun 14 - 09:12 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

How about writing SPOILER ALERT?!

Jun 14 - 10:25 PM

okayflint

First Last

judging by your profile and your ratings on film you're a horror genre fanboy and prometheus wasn't what you were expecting

i know it's tough when a film makes you think but you lack the ability to do so :( how unfortunate

Jun 15 - 03:02 AM

okayflint

First Last

Jun 15 - 03:02 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Don't bother listening to okflint, he's an asslicking troll. That being said I thought Prometheus was far from perfect but not horrible.

Jun 15 - 05:42 AM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

I agree with Valmordas.
While direction wise the film was stunningly beautiful.
The writing was stunningly bad.
Way too many holes in the story for me and I'm not one of those "how many triangles will fit into a 3.875 parcep while holding onto the tesseract" kind of guy either. Even I spotted obvious holes and WTF's in how the characters reacted. A film that was in desperate need of a rewrite...or ten.

Jun 15 - 06:22 AM

LOL @ 'Devil Inside'...

Jun 15 - 01:07 PM

Dave J

What the heck, Gordon... You're either giving readers some mixed messages or is this just an example of 'flip flopping'! On one hand, on one article from another page, you say that "Prometheus" was not as bad as you thought it was--- copy/paste comment "Well, Prometheus doesn't suck, I take that back even though my comment is already "out there." ~(Gordon Franklin Tery SR of 06-11-2012 12:47 PM)
and then on this one, you say it's "the worst PIECE OF CRAP in years." WTF Gordon and please explain?

Jun 15 - 02:51 PM

Fred Brooks

Yeah i did'nt get that part either, why would you run North-South screaming no-no-no, when all you had to do was turn and run East-West and you would have avoided being flattened, it makes no sense. Don't even get me started on those dumb expediction scientists trying to touch those alien creatures, haha, man who's that stupid. Apparently they we're.

Jun 16 - 02:50 AM

John Hartman

John Hartman

Spoilers, and your taste is as god-awful as you *think* Prometheus was. Try using your brain when you watch a movie. It's fun.

Jun 17 - 06:51 PM

josm a.

josm atyb

I really like the moveis

Jun 16 - 11:51 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I want to believe that Prometheus will be on top. But I am putting my money on Rock of Ages.
Think of all the middle-aged women that will drag their husbands to a musical with Tom Cruise in it.

Jun 14 - 06:45 PM

LoverOfWine

Neil Law

That's why I told my wife I wouldn't see this - with Cruise as the star he is just too overexposed.

However, now that the movie is getting panned I'm definitly not going to see it.

Jun 15 - 04:08 AM

Robbie Jordan

Robbie Jordan

I've gotta chime in simply because I love Crue! I'll see Rock of Ages where it deserves to be seen, in an actual theatre on stage. With shows like that it's the participation in the music I require not Tom Cruise or Russel Brand (especially not Russel Brand).

And yes Axl W Rose is a pussy who now looks more like a leather couch that has had Van Morrisons head grafted to it haha!

Jun 15 - 04:40 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Axel Rose once had a dream he had an ounce of Van Morrison's back sweat worth of soul. Then he woke up.

Jun 15 - 07:22 AM

Dave J

No, "Madagascar 3: Europe's" is going to be number 1 for the second week with the "R" rating keeping kids from seeing "Prometheus"! If "Rock of Ages" does well, I'd be quite surprised since 'rock 'n roll' movies in general don't usually perform well boxoffice-wise and this one is no exception with the low 44% rating going against it!

Jun 15 - 11:54 AM

Dave J

What I mean is sophisicated bright 14 to 17 year olds would want to see "Prometheus" but can't because it's a "R" rated movie!

Jun 15 - 12:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

They don't have parents who are "sophisticated and bright" enough to take them?

Jun 15 - 12:11 PM

Dave J

Well, you're allowed to speculate but most underage teenagers (I know anyway) especially between the ages of 15 and 17 rather go to the movies with their peers than seeing them with their parents!

Jun 15 - 01:58 PM

Paris Valeroso

Paris Valeroso

I couldn't agree more!

Jun 15 - 06:04 PM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Let TDKR just release already and wipe the bad taste of the usual summer garbage out of my mouth through it's sheer epicness. That being said, both the Avengers and Prometheus were great.

Jun 16 - 12:33 AM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Jun 16 - 12:33 AM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Jun 16 - 12:33 AM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

Even with a "Rotten" 46% on the T-Meter (54% for the Top Critics, a bit higher), Rock of Ages is at least a bit better thatn That's My Boy. It has an unbearable 18%! I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT'S MY BOY! I'd rather watch Rock of Ages. >;)

Jun 14 - 04:50 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Jun 14 - 05:00 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Jun 14 - 05:04 PM

Jun 14 - 05:24 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

P.S. Axel Rose is a pussy.

Jun 15 - 03:54 AM

Janson Jinnistan

PS: It was always about Slash. That used to be fairly understood.

Jun 15 - 07:18 AM

Jun 14 - 08:16 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

Jun 14 - 09:12 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

How about writing SPOILER ALERT?!

Jun 14 - 10:25 PM

okayflint

First Last

Jun 15 - 03:02 AM

okayflint

First Last

Jun 15 - 03:02 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jun 15 - 05:42 AM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

I agree with Valmordas.
While direction wise the film was stunningly beautiful.
The writing was stunningly bad.

Jun 15 - 06:22 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Jun 14 - 05:04 PM

Jun 14 - 05:24 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

P.S. Axel Rose is a pussy.

Jun 15 - 03:54 AM

Janson Jinnistan

PS: It was always about Slash. That used to be fairly understood.

Jun 15 - 07:18 AM

Jun 15 - 12:39 PM

Jun 16 - 02:44 AM

Alec Low

Alec Low

Sandler had it good with Just Go with it and Zookeeper, but I hope Thats my Boy isn't another Jack and Jill.

Jun 14 - 05:06 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

haha, it's funny that people thought Rock of Ages will suck because of Cruise, but it seems that he's the best thing about it, I'm not watching it, but I'm glad Cruise is being appreciated. Guy's a good actor

Jun 14 - 05:07 PM

Jun 14 - 05:24 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nothing that really interests me this week. Might catch a few of the indies on home video, though. I really do not understand Sandler. The guy has to have a ton of money from all his box-office successes, not to mention he produces numerous movies now, so you would think he would go after more projects that actually interest him, and avoid the constant phoning it in for the paycheck he does with every film now. The guy is seriously a parody of his former self, and he was not extremely funny in most of his movies to begin with.

Rock of Ages did not look that exciting to begin with. I am surprised it is even being released as a big summer blockbuster, because buzz is rather low for it from virtually every demographic. Maybe it would have been more fun if they went for a hard-R, that way they could have truly embraced the drugs, sex, and rock 'n' roll aspect.

Jun 14 - 05:43 PM

Jun 14 - 08:16 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

Jun 14 - 09:12 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

How about writing SPOILER ALERT?!

Jun 14 - 10:25 PM

okayflint

First Last

Jun 15 - 03:02 AM

okayflint

First Last

Jun 15 - 03:02 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jun 15 - 05:42 AM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

I agree with Valmordas.
While direction wise the film was stunningly beautiful.
The writing was stunningly bad.

Jun 15 - 06:22 AM

LOL @ 'Devil Inside'...

Jun 15 - 01:07 PM

Jun 15 - 02:51 PM

Jun 16 - 02:50 AM

John Hartman

John Hartman

Jun 17 - 06:51 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

excruciatingly-painful.

Jun 14 - 07:35 PM

Tom C.

Tom Carter

To me, the whole thing about Sandler is that he's trying to please all audiences at once with his movies, even if it means acting like a kid at times while doing more adult stuff. One of his better movies, though, Funny People, I hear was one of his better movies because he was able to act like an adult the majority of the time and actually not try to please the kids too. Or maybe Seth Rogen (definitely one of the more critically successful comedians of our time, with tons more hits than misses) just has that way of working with his co-stars to make them that much better (another example: Katherine Heigl, since the movie she was in with him, Knocked Up, was her only good one)...

Jun 14 - 08:08 PM

69BUCK

JIM GRONEFELD

To me, the whole thing about Sandler is he's a no-talent, hack. But as long as people pay to watch him do his "funny, kid voice-thing" and play virtually the same unfunny character in every movie, they'll keep letting him make bad movies.

Jun 15 - 08:44 AM

Jun 14 - 08:16 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

Jun 14 - 09:12 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Sandler's last four films have been in Pauly Shore territory. This guy can be good in films like Funny People and Punch Drunk Love, but I fear he may not recover from this terrible streak.

Jun 14 - 09:21 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

This guy can be good in a coffin.

Jun 15 - 05:43 AM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

I still love him from the Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore days though. Nostalgia gets the best of me...

Jun 15 - 06:51 AM

CloudsofBiss

Natalie Herron

Sandler needs to quit making movies. Rock of Ages looks terrible. Your's Sister's Sister looks cool but the movie isn't on my town.

Jun 14 - 09:35 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

How about writing SPOILER ALERT?!

Jun 14 - 10:25 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

I'd love to see Prometheus take top spot - a very good but not great sci-fi thriller. Its not my usual genre but I've been warming to it and I really like Prometheus but it could've been better. But my guesses are Madagascar 3 holds 1st, Prometheus just holds 2nd That's my boy takes third and Rock of ages takes 4th but it will be a disappointing gross no doubt. Guessing ROA only takes in 16-20 million at best, might even be closer to 11-16 million. Also That's My boy could knock prometheus to 3rd or even shock and take top spot coz for some reason people swarm to these sandler movies but no one went to see Funny People one of the few good movies he's made in years!

Jun 14 - 10:28 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Good Friday