Rockers Reviews

July 22, 2013
Colocando de parte a brilhante banda-sonora e o valor que Rockers tem como documento do reggae em 1978, o que sobra é uma história de hustling nem por isso muito interessante, mas com grandes momentos como aquele em que Dirty Harry ocupa a cabine do DJ para improvisar um soundsystem até que a polícia chegue. Também é engraçado ver uns tantos figurões do reggae (Kiddus I, Gregory Isaacs) empenhados num filme que, no fundo, demonstra até onde pode ir o sentido de humor dos rastas. É inevitável compará-lo ao The Harder They Come e a verdade é que perde para esse por 3 a 1, vá lá.
½ January 6, 2012
Okay I watched it. They should of put the subtitles in English, instead of trying to just put down exactly what they were saying, but I could get more then enough to get what was going on.

I was actually surprised at the filming quality. Since the film started I couldn't figure out what I was watching or what was going to happen, I had to keep reminding myself it was movie. For some reason my brain kept telling me it was going to be a documentary.

I enjoyed it but it felt like it just kind of ended. Left me sitting there like, "That's it? I mean that was neat, but that's how it's going to end? Oh well, time to jam man." At which point I got off the bean bag chair and started jamming to the credits.
½ October 16, 2011
A movie riddled with Jamaican culture, Rockers is full of good humor, authentic reggae music that will have you tapping along to the beats, and a fun plot. Though the thick accents are difficult to understand, this movie is well worth your time.
Arianeta
February 21, 2010
I-man loves this movie. Rockers is so completely enjoyable and totally unique. Having very strong documentary features, this film keeps surprising the viewer every minute. It is (at least for the first half an hour or so) as if someone just shouldered a camera and followed Horsemouth around Kingston doing his daily hustling' business. Most of the main characters are real people, playing themselves, esp. reggae artists and producers, and most of the locations are real as well. What I like most about this movie is its many layers. It's like a deep insight into Jamaican society of the late 70's, the golden era of roots reggae, in all its many aspects like class struggle, Rasta, family and religious issues. The hero is trying to rise above his status and make himself, his family and community stronger. His values - peace, love, neighborliness - are tested by but he rises above difficulties and meets the challenge. The end is perfect and sweet. The use of real people as actors and the very poignant of real life in Jamaica are incredibly unusual. Several times, like in the opening scene, characters directly address the viewer personally by facing the camera which I've never seen used like this anywhere else. Technically it's remarkably well done (apart from some pretty dark underexposed moments), for instance they manage to have many songs of the soundtrack coming from actual sources in the picture. And the real question here is who is this Greek director and writer and how did he get so deep inside the Rasta community?
But the big attraction here is the music, not the plot. The soundtrack includes Peter Tosh, Robbie Shakespeare, Burning Spear, Gregory Isaacs, Jacob Miler& Inner Circle, Bunny Wailer, and Leroy Wallace (who plays the protagonist). It is very difficult to hear this music and still sit in your seat without even a little rock your body
February 17, 2011
Reggae drama might be my new favourite genre and this might be in the top-2 of all reggae dramas ever made.

Jamaica in the 70's is truly a fairytale country. You can't really take this country and it's inhabitants for real, or you just might can.

These black Yoda hippies is so much fun to watch, and to hear. The music is great.

Simple movie, but so effective
January 27, 2011
Reggae music at the pinnacle of the roots and rockers era. Classic riddims with a medium that has evolved, or rather transgressed to the commercial status that now survives. See the icons at their youthful prime. Many have passed on since Rockers was filmed. Some still tour. One of my blessings is to have witnessed an era of Reggae that shall be immortalized forever.
½ March 24, 2010
Killer Roots Reggae Movie i must see
½ March 5, 2010
Greatest soundtrack ever...
October 29, 2009
NOBODY FUCKS WITH 'FATBOY JACOBS' CHICKEN.... HE'LL CUT YA!
October 16, 2009
favorite movie of all time...
lesleyanorton
October 15, 2009
The classic 1970's reggae film. Crammed full of Jamaican musicians, the soundtrack is great, and the story line is simple enough to follow even if you don't understand the heavy accents, tho i watched it with a cute reggae musician so I got it translated anyway.
And of course there's a very smart walking montage to practice at home afterwards.
September 9, 2009
i have seen rockers many years ago.... there is not a lot of films that come out of jamaica, but when out come out...... i have to support it. being Jamaican... Stay bless.... Rockers was as very good film,... you will have to agree that the best film was THE HARDER THEY COME.......the orignal cult movie....
½ May 25, 2009
Great tunes and provides a true glimpse of the Jamaican way of life.

Great tunes and a glimpse at the true Jamaican way of life.
April 26, 2009
Rockers is a documentary turned full-length feature starring just about every International Reggae Star who was around in the 1970's; It's sad to think just how many of the people featured have suffered premature deaths. A pearl beyond price for the real reggae fan, 'Rockers' covers an astonishing amount of all that remains so vital about the 70s roots and culture scene.

Don't expect much in the way of plot. Do expect the film to stop every 15 minutes or so for a musical number - that's its most appealing factor: the incessant, and downright catchy, continuous backbeat of some top class reggae, and a fascinating insight into Jamaican life too. Violence is confined to moments of righteous defiance, swearing sparingly employed only for comedy or emphasis, all convincingly acted by the close family of musical geniuses that peppered the island.

With a magnificent soundtrack it provides a snapshot of where Jamaican music was heading before the plague of cocaine hit. A little rough around the edges, but anyone with a love of Reggae should watch this, so turn up the bass and enjoy. Utterly charming.
July 26, 2009
SAW IT BEFORE, WILL LIKE TO WATCH IT AGAIN.
July 25, 2009
got to here this 4 the nation
July 25, 2009
man that make me laugh so much, love it especially the music. Jamaica look just like Guyana.
March 18, 2009