RT on DVD: RocknRolla, Mary Poppins, and Zodiac and Bourne Hit Blu-ray

Summary

The year is beginning to get good for home video enthusiasts, with a band of notable new titles and Blu-ray releases to get your itchy fingers twitching. Add Guy Ritchie's latest cockney caper to your collection (Rocknrolla), see Woody Allen's awards season romance (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), immerse yourself in the real-life legal woes of one of modern cinema's greatest directors (Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired), and pick up a Disney classic on her 45th birthday (Mary Poppins 45th Anniversary Edition). And who out there with a Blu-ray player can resist nabbing this week's glorious HD offerings (The Bourne Trilogy, Zodiac Director's Cut)? Back to Article

Comments

Random_Jake

Joshua Mills

Jan 26 - 06:58 PM

Don F.

Don Fahler

Re: Random Jake

"You'd think a movie with Gob and Dwight in it could be at least semi-funny. Apparently not......."

You do know this isn't the Rocker... You must be the bane of your local video store...

Jan 27 - 11:28 AM

Random_Jake

Joshua Mills

AD spoils its viewers into expecting great humor from everything they watch.

Unfortunately 99.9% fail to live up to expectations.

Jan 27 - 11:38 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I'll get RocknRolla on Blu Ray, it is a lot of fun. It has great characters and despite a flimsy narrative & not a strong story it is still a fun movie. Also it was nice to see Guy Ritchie make an actual good movie, it may not be nearly as good as Snatch it is still fun and is a lot better then that pice of ***** Revolver. I don't know if I will buy Vicky Cristina Barcelona though I liked it a lot and I think it is definitely worth watching if you are a big Woody Allen fan like me. I actually may get Zodiac on Blu Ray and it will be my frikking third time buying it, I bought the initial release, then the Director's Cut and I loaned it out and the person lost it. So yep I am going to have to reach into my pock again, though it doesn't bother me too much since it is such a great movie. Also I recommend watching Roman Polanski Wanted and Desired, very good movie.

Jan 26 - 07:02 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Also I am going to rent Lakeview Terrace since I heard it was actually kind of good.

Jan 26 - 07:26 PM

thejuggernautlives

Michael Dickson

I'm definitely picking up Pride and Glory. No matter what the critics said, I thought it, while not phenomenal, was still a very good movie. I'm also a huge Guy Ritchie fan, but I haven't seen RocknRolla yet, so I can't decide if I should rent it or just go ahead and buy it. Also, I'm gonna rent Vicky Cristina Barcelona cause I like some of Woody Allen's recent work (Match Point and Cassandra's Dream). I did see Lakeview Terrace and it was okay, might be worth a rent for a second viewing, but that's it. And though I don't have any particular interest in it, I'm pretty sure my mom will make me buy Fireproof for her.

Jan 26 - 08:46 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

I am so getting The Bourne Trilogy on Blu-Ray.

Jan 26 - 09:34 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Vicky Christina Barelona"? Oh really? Is it really released or are you yankin' my chain again? I'm just messin' with ya. Well, I still don't think it looks very funny or witty, but Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz, huh. Hmmmm, uhhhh, so sweaty... sorry. I'm so seeing it. Well, I'd rent "Rock N Rolla" when I can, because I love a good high rollin' gangsta flick. And my favorite gansta nowadays Tom Wilkinson is in it. I'd also rent "Lakeview Terrance", even though I'm not expecting much. As for "Roman Polanski: Wanted & Desired", I plan on seeing it soon enough. A talented filmaker, an absloute sicko. I'm lovin' it. Makes sense. The guys friends with the equally talented and equally slimey Jack Nicholson. I heard "Zodiac" is good, even though I get it confused with the other apparently horrible Zodiac film released a year or two earlier. I'd see the "official" Zodiac film when I can. Pretty good week for DVD's. It's been long enough with nothin' but crap.

Jan 26 - 09:53 PM

thisguyjones

Chris Jones

Zodiac is longer? The first 2/3s, brilliant, once it becomes the Jake Gyllenhaal show it gets very tedious. Shorten the third act. I know he is the "star", but the parts of the movie where it focuses on him? ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Jan 26 - 10:24 PM

Xx MooSE xX

brian kochaniuk

I upgraded my netflix just for this week, got lakeview terrace, rockin rolla, and pride and glory coming tommorrow. watch should i watch 1st?

Jan 26 - 10:25 PM

vashfanatic

Martha Boatright

"...his fateful sexual encounter with a teenage model..."

yeah, way to make it sound classy. She was what, 13? 14? and he gave her drugs. And now he's in Europe and has never done any jail time. Which is why I don't watch Roman Polanski movies, no matter how good they are.

Jan 26 - 10:52 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Man, that is just stupid if you don't watch a man's movies because of his personal life. So you wont watch his classics Chinatown or Rosemary's Baby because of the man's personal life? I still watch Woody Allen movies even though I think he is messed up- cheating on his wife with there adapted 18 year old kid. I just think it's kind of stupid you said that. Also Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired is a really good documentary. While I still think the guy is pretty sick the movie made me feel a little bad for him- growing up during the holocaust, being an orphan, his court process, and his wife getting killed by the Manson clan. Also the movie raises good questions like should the state pardon him because the girl he had sex with said so. Its a really good documentary that sympathizes with him while not forgiving his actions.

Jan 26 - 11:26 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Who would watch John Wayne movies? The man was a raciest. Every week I watch "30 Rock", but Alec Baldwin is an idiot. A good actor, but not a nice guy. And I mentioned Jack Nicholson, he's kind of a sleaze, but he's a great actor, but if you miss out on any of theese guys, you're really missin' out. So you can't hold a celebrity's life against their career.

Jan 27 - 11:01 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I have actually heard Alec Baldwin is a really nice guy... he just seems like a douche when he talks politics but hey most people do. I definitely don't think you should bash Baldwin, because I have only heard good things about him. Jack Nicholson? How is he a sleaze? I have heard he is a big ladies chaser, but does that make him a sleaze?

Jan 27 - 11:30 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jan 26 - 11:26 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Jan 27 - 11:01 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jan 27 - 11:30 AM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I agree. You will miss a lot of great cinema when you give a damn about an actor/directors personal life. If that were the case, who would've seen Iron Man?

Jan 27 - 12:00 AM

Funkmaster Flex

Phillip Martin

I can't wait to see Rock n Rolla, especially since I missed it in theaters. I do want Bourne on Blu Ray, but I'm sick of buying movies twice and will boycott it until I can get it at Best Buy this Christmas for $39.99 or something. I miss when Amazon was having their buy 2 get 1 sales for Blu Rays during the holidays. As for everything else, maybe I'm getting too stuck in my ways, but I don't want to see any of the other releases. I think I just don't like dramas and such during Oscar season because all they hype is dramas for awards.

Jan 27 - 07:29 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I'll be getting the Bourne trilogy for sure, and Mary Poppins since it's a one-of-a-kind classic that I can still enjoy. I don't know how I missed Rock n Rolla, but it will be on my Queue in moments. Zodiac was a dull and tedious movie to me. I can't figure out why people think that it's a great movie. Seven and Silence of the Lambs are are examples of similar movies that are light years better IMO.

Jan 27 - 08:28 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I love Zodiac because the movie made me feel uneasy and always drawn to the story and the characters. The movie was shot beautifully digitally, the movie made it feel like all those years went by, it made me feel uneasy because of that because of the fact a killer has been roaming for all those years. I love how they didn't make a phony bull ***** ending like Black Dahlia though that movie sucked regardless. I was never bored during the movie, but I know a lot of people who were.

Jan 27 - 09:20 AM

cypress550

jeremy burnside

ill definately pick up pride and glory and rock n rolla and ill get the bourne trilogy on blu ray soon. maybe lakeview terrace

Jan 27 - 08:57 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

how'd you dorks miss RockNRolla?? see, THATS why good movies don't get made. nobody sees em in the theater and their deemed bombs. awesome movie. slow at times but the action scenes...top frikkin' notch. hopefully Ritchie makes more movies now that he's...free

Jan 27 - 09:03 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jan 27 - 09:20 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Great week for DVDs, huh? Also, Gimy, thanks for bringing back "dorks" - I haven't been using that word in a while, but now it's on.

About Roman Polanski W&D -- jokerboy's right, it is a really good doc that raises more questions about Polanski's legal proceedings than one might guess. It's fascinating, not just because of the heinous crime he most certainly was guilty of, but because of how the presiding judge used his power because Polanski was a celebrity. Worth watching, if only to justify the reason you might not watch Polanski films as a rule.

Jan 27 - 10:01 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Jan 27 - 11:01 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jan 27 - 11:30 AM

vitajex

Mike M

Saw "City of Ember" last weekend; kinda disappointing.
I'll be watching "The Rocker" this weekend as I don't care, I like Rainn Wilson and I know I will still be distracted and entertained for 90 minutes.

And I've got my first time with 'Chuck and Buck' tomorrow night.

And, on the topic of artistic career vs. personal life: Am I still allowed to crank up the Gary Glitter on my 8-track player?

Jan 27 - 11:11 AM

Don F.

Don Fahler

Re: Random Jake

Jan 27 - 11:28 AM

Random_Jake

Joshua Mills

AD spoils its viewers into expecting great humor from everything they watch.

Unfortunately 99.9% fail to live up to expectations.

Jan 27 - 11:38 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office