20% The Identical Sep 05

RocknRolla Reviews

paul o.
paul o.

September 8, 2012
Some words to describe RocknRolla would be fun, dramedy, and raw. The story has a typical Guy Ritchie feel and proves that he can still make solid gangster films. Don't look at the RT percentage for this film because its definitely a positive and critics are fools for criticizing it.
Albert K

September 25, 2010
Loved the cinematography and Guy Ritchie's quirky but excellent direction. A lot of fun.
Anthony L

January 13, 2012
RocknRolla is an enjoyable enough film but I think the reason it's so easy to watch is because you've seen it all before, it's like bumping into an old friend. There is absolutely nothing original or profound about it, which I find annoying, but the cast is likable, likable enough for you not to hate it. Easy/lazy viewing, a masterpiece compared to Revolver and if I'm being honest, I would like to see another film starring the 'Wild-bunch' but I doubt very much that it's going to happen!
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 15, 2010
Like some of Guy Ritchie's other films, as well as some of the films of Robert Rodriguez, this is a twisted and convoluted mess...but it's a hell of a lot of fun, and damn entertaining. I liked it more than I thought I would, so that's a good thing, but still, it's nothing really more than a slick and wild B Movie. There's nothing wrong with that though...unless you want more. I didn't, so I'm happy. I'm not a Ritchie fanboy, but this fits somewhere in the middle, I'd say. Despite it's flaws, it's still pretty fun and enjoyable.
Jens S

January 20, 2009
Being Guy Ritchie can't be easy. After the outstanding "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels" and "Snatch", people expect the same kind of films but no one likes repetition, of course. Ritchie tries to find the middle path here, repeating his trademarks like petty but lovable thieves against dangerous mobsters, MacGuffin devices and sudden outbursts of violence and humor. For the first half the recipe doesn't really get together here. The actors are good, especially Mark Strong (as always) and Tom Hardy, but there is not all that much happening. There also is a bit of an overload of characters. Turns out it's all just a set up for a pretty fun second half, including the best dance scene since "Pulp Fiction" and wonderfully cruel and hilarious Russian guys that just don't want to die (sound familiar?). In the end it's still an entertaining and satisfying experience but nowhere near en par with the films mentioned above. It can't be easy being Guy Ritchie.
Kristijonas F

March 26, 2011
The beautiful thing about Guy Ritchie is - he keeps making the same Brit-gangster movie over and over again - but it's still so much damn fun to watch.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 13, 2010
RocknRolla is a step down for Guy Ritchie, but not by much. This is an explosive gangster film that only Guy Ritchie could deliver. Combining the best of Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels and Snatch, Ritchie attempts to create something new and fresh with old ideas and with his style of gangster films. RocknRolla is a solid film, however it is flawed in it's execution and therefore Lock, Stock and Snatch are far superior gangster films. Guy Ritchie has assembled his best cast of actors for a gangster film since Snatch. Gerard Butler delivers a great performance (one of three of his career, as he tends to go in the bitch flick genre too much lately) Tom Wilkinson also is great. RocknRolla is not a memorable film because it touches on elements previously explored in other gangster films directed by Guy Ritchie. Despite this, RocknRolla remains a thrilling, fun gangster film. Though this will be probably forgotten in the next ten years, it does manage to entertain you enough for you to have a good time for two hours. RocknRolla has some awesome scenes, despite for the fact that we've seen it all before. Ritchie attempots to do something fresh, but in the end this essentially a clone of his other gangster films. If you haven't seen it already, and you've seen Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, then you might want to skip this one, if not; then you'll most likely be slightly disappointed, as I pointed out twice already, RocknRolla is a fun film to watch, but never does feel original.
Lanning :

August 30, 2010
With the exception of The Wild Bunch, a very unpleasant collection of characters who all should get off-ed. Seriously, they were only ones to care about, and the only ones who deserved to live. If I watch the sequel to see how The Wild Bunch fairs -- and that is one big IF -- I'll also keep my fingers crossed for all the other characters to meet their much-deserved ends.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

January 14, 2009
You know you're watching a Guy Ritchie movie when there's at least one memorable line to be found within each and every scene. Combine that with a good deal of interesting characters, cool gunfights and some top notch directing, and you have a gangster flick on your hands that oozes with class and sophistication. Maybe not Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels-good, but not all that far from it either. So if you like Ritchie's previous work within the genre, or gangster movies in general, you're definitely gonna want to check this out. "There's no school like the old school, and I'm the f***ing headmaster!"
skactopus
skactopus

July 10, 2010
Guy Ritchie spices up the action crime genre with RocknRolla.While this picture lacks a whole lot of substance in the story and depth with the characters, Guy Ritchie provides style to counteract this. Scenes fly by with the abrupt editing and the addition of narration in the early going gives the film a hyped up film noir sensation. Multiple subplots keep things fresh, while at the same time hindering off confusion. No wonder this film stretches out to nearly 1 hour and 50 minutes.The violence isn't all that offensive, as the action is only a minor piece of the puzzle. It is the language and sexuality that give this picture its R rating.The plethora of characters make it difficult to pick out a lead, but all the actors deliver amusing performances with their witty lines of dialogue. Tom Wilkinson, Mark Strong, Gerard Butler, Toby Kebbell, and the lovely Thandie Newton light up the screen from start to finish.RocknRolla does lack the seriousness with it's whimsical concepts, but in the end, that leads to its success. "Think before you drink before you drive me mad."
Richard C

June 25, 2010
this movie is really awesome. A-
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 18, 2009
Tom Wilkinson, Thandie Newton, Gerard Butler, Mark Strong, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Toby Kebbell, Matt King, Ludacris, Jeremy Piven, Jimi Mistry, Dragan Micanovic, Geoff Bell, Karel Roden, Jamie Campbell Bower

DIRECTED BY: Guy Ritchie

When a Russian mobster orchestrates a crooked land deal, millions of dollars are up for grabs, and all of London?s criminal underworld wants in on the action. Everyone from a dangerous crime lord to a sexy accountant, a corrupt politician and down-on-their-luck petty thieves conspire, collude and collide with one another in an effort to get rich quick.

It was a good little action packed movie with some good dark humor. I really liked all the characters. Thought the relationship between One Two and Handsome Bob was very funny and the most amusing. Has a lot of great actors. Guy Ritchie is a favorite of mine. I like how fast he keeps his movies. Never a slow spot, and your never bored with his characters. It's a fun movie that will keep your entertained throughout. Liked it a lot.
garyX
garyX

November 1, 2008
A pair of small time thieves unknowingly rip off the powerful Russian underworld to appease a local mobster to whom they owe money. Rock N Rolla smells like Guy Ritchie desperately trying to give the public "what they want". It's very much a return to his roots and maybe should have been called "Lock, Stock and Smoking Snatch" (but I for one am quite glad it wasn't...) Instead of antique shotguns we have a painting. Instead of pigs we have crayfish. All of the characters are not only the familiar Ritchie stereotypes, they pretty much are the SAME Ritchie stereotype; every character is virtually identical played by a host of different actors. The plot is convoluted yet predictable and the edginess of dark humour is sorely missing; it just seemed like a sanitized copy of a Ritchie movie rather than one in itself. He seems to be going down the same road as M Night Shyamalan in that they both started very (maybe TOO) strongly, took a panning at the hands of the critics and box office and are now desperately trying to back pedal to where they were. Many may have found the undercurrent of new age BS in Revolver understandably irritating, but that film had a sense of inspiration and invention that is just absent from this effort. Not bad, but it's just 2 hours of cockney deja vu.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

April 16, 2009
Story wise, this is one of the better Ritchie films.
However I felt like we had somehow gotten a "made for tv" edit as it felt like it was lacking the usual "kick" of a Ritchie film.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
A lot of plot lines, but oddly they all figure out how to work in the thrilling thing that is rocknrolla!
Al S

January 14, 2008
A stylish, hip, exciting, hard-rocking and exhilarating crime-thriller. An instant classic. Director, Guy Ritchie is back to the old school, he has returned to his sharp style of witty crooks, evil gangsters, inter winding stories, a great soundtrack and fast-humor. It's slickly written and well-crafted in the stylish form of his film Revolver and loaded with the humor of Snatch. It's a wickedly hilarious and action-packed flick. A sharp, brilliant and awesomely entertaining film. A masterpiece. A wildly thrilling, very clever, adrenaline-pumping and incredibly fun ride. A great story with great characters that keep you compelled. It has plenty of brains, originality and stars. A perfect cast of great actors, who all deliver great performances. Gerard Butler is terrific. Tom Wilkonson is excellent. Mark Strong is fantastic. Toby Kebbell is electric. Jeremy Piven and Chris Bridges are marvelous. It will keep you on the edge of your seat with plenty of twist, turns, thrills, laughs and relentless fun. A real joy-ride of a thriller with a slick and cool groove all of it's own. It has all barrels blazing on the entertainment meter and does not stop to reload and has plenty of room for a follow-up.
Michael G

November 2, 2008
Rocknrolla definitely isn't a bad movie, especially when you consider the period in Guy Ritchie's career where the talent-sucking Madonna all but nullified his ability to turn out anything even remotely decent. Ritchie's style evolved a little bit but that's all Rocknrolla is--style and style only. The story is a rehash of Ritchie's best work loaded with colorful characters and an intricate enough story that prevents you from tuning out. Or really even caring. The cast was fun and Thandie Newton was foxy enough to actually make me notice her. Rocknrolla made me fall asleep a couple of times and to be perfectly frank, I was just kind of waiting for it to end. While there are definitely much worse ways to spend a Wednesday night/Thursday morning, I don't think I ever need to see this movie again. Or a sequel to it...
Cassandra M

November 3, 2008
I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Guy Ritchie's mockney gangster films. I don't know what it is. I know that they're not very profound and have nothing to say, I know that they're a pure fantasy vision of British crime and I know that if you've seen Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, you've pretty much seen them all. And yet, as Ritchie returns for a third iteration of the only formula with which he's tasted success , I still find myself walking out of the cinema massively entertained.

RocknRolla does absolutely nothing new. A quick list of things it shares with Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch would read thus: fast paced, witty dialogue; complex, interwoven plot threads; central McGuffin driving the mayhem (#1 antique shotguns, #2 huge diamond, #3 a lucky painting); smart, rapid editing; a mountain of Cockney crime stereotypes. Even things such as hard-as-nails Russian henchmen return. It completes the upward curve of scale in Ritchie's crime films: from a rigged card game to a rigged boxing circuit to rigged property development. The crime lords get larger in stature, the sums of money owed have more zeros on the end and the capers required to resolve the situation more grand, but it's still the same concept.

You'd think this was a list of criticisms, and if you found Snatch wearingly familiar you shouldn't need it spelling out that this film won't impress you. Looking for originality? Look elsewhere. RocknRolla may be pushing the formula a little bit, but if you accept that it's still enormous fun. Ritchie's directing is as proficient as ever, it moves at a merry old pace and the plot just about stays on the rails. The characters are endearing and there's plenty of laughs to be had. Other than its dearth of invention, the only real flaw with the film lies in the opening fifteen minutes, where Ritchie sets up the plot strands which will then unravel. Whereas previous films did this in a smooth, unforced way, here Ritchie lathers it with a liberal helping of voice-over narration so there's absolutely no confusion possible as to who is who and what they're after, which on many occasions extends to pointing out the bleeding obvious. Show don't tell- it's the first rule in the book Ritchie! It may be getting to the point where RocknRolla must go down as a guilty pleasure, but guilty pleasures are often the most fulfilling kind. And so it is here.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

July 25, 2009
No, I've never seen Snatch, so with that out of the way I really didn't know what to expect from a Guy Richie film. I didn't let his personal decisions (marrying can't-settle-down pop singers) affect my decision or the fact that Gerard Butler is behind only Forrest Whittaker in number of movies made in a year. I was pleasantly surprised. The film just kept rolling right along, not overlong and enough of a script to keep it interesting. Plus the fact that Tom Wilkinson acted the hell out of the film. Great performances all-around.