—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Rocky Balboa Reviews

KJ P

September 5, 2010
The final film of the series is one of the strongest in the entire franchise. Having much better dialogue, a much more educated story, and family bonds that have never been stronger. "Rocky Balboa" focusses on having so much stored up inside yourself through the years and having the strength and courage to let it all out. There is no suspense as to who will win, because that is not needed. We see Rocky and his son bond, we receive final lessons from Paulie, and by the end of the film you feel very relieved, and the film finished on a perfect note. The series is closed and I couldn't be happier.
Eugene B

February 22, 2013
Stallone goes the distance in the final installment of this underdog saga. Rocky Balboa is simple, plain, boxing entertainment and drama with modern-day fight experiences that fully surpasses its past films (except 1 & 2). The film is a graceful presentation of past, present and future in the realms of boxing and life and does enough to save the franchise until the final bell. 4.5/5
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 6, 2012
Sixth and final entry in the Rocky franchise. Rocky Balboa is by far one of the best sequels in the franchise as the last few sequels kind of lost their way, and weren't as good as they could have been. This is a well constructed film. There are some solid performances in the film, and Sylvester Stallone definitely recaptures the essence of the character from the first two films. If you were slightly disappointed by Rocky V, then check out this film, you might be surprise by how good it is. I'd have to say that that this is the best film since the first two flicks. I felt that it was refreshing new take on the traditional Rocky story. With a great cast of actors, Rocky Balboa should please fans of the series. This is different style of Rocky film, and it has everything else that you'd expect from a Rocky film. This is a very entertaining film from start to finish and Stallone direction keeps you involved from start to finish, and he's an effective director. Rocky Balboa is hopefully the last entry on the series, and it ends the series on a high note. Not since Rocky II has a film in this series has been this good. What I thoroughly enjoyed about it was that it kept all the classic elements, but reinvented the plot a bit to make it less tiresome, unlike Rocky IV and V. If you want a well constructed underdog tale, then this is the film for you. Unlike plenty of films in this genre that have been released recently, this film is well acted, entertaining and belongs to a series of the original underdog tale. A must see for Stallone fans. Rocky Balboa is a final excellent, if at times flawed end to a series of so-so movies, and it erases the mistakes done by the last two films and ends the series on a high note.
Jens S

January 22, 2007
30 years after the first story of Philadelphia boxer Rocky challenging the great fighters Stallone returns to the franchise that made him a star for the final chapter. The biggest surprise: it's the best film of the series since the original and Stallone's strongest acting performance since Cop Land. The film starts out a little slow, maybe a tad too nostalgic with the flashbacks to the old days and the reason for the boxing match against the reigning champion feels a bit forced. But once Rocky picks up training again and we're getting the montage with the classic Bill Conti score you can't help but get goose bumps all over. What follows is an excellent second half with a very modernized way to present the final match in the shape of a sports TV special. In that section of the film Stallone does basically everything right and knows which buttons to push. A very worthy and satisfying ending to the series. The end credits leave you with a big smile on your face, especially if you love the city of Philadelphia.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
i was okay, im not the most huge fan of the rocky series and the fact that ive only actually seen this one may not be bodding well, but it was okay just not my cup of tea!
Apeneck F

July 11, 2007
Stallone finally, regretfully, buries the franchise that put him on the map, simply reheating the old formula ... with a smidgen of sadness on the side. He is ever aware of his age and not shy about telling us that. He makes a point to toast those now departed, but like all the Rockys gone before ... guess who's the underdog and who wins the big fight? You peeked, didn't ya?!
Albert K

March 23, 2012
Don't remember too much about it but other then the fact that:
a) The narrative was entertaining enough to be interested in the "big fight".
b) The relationship story that stirs up between Stallone and Geraldine Hughes is pretty uninteresting.
Nevertheless, it does what it does pretty well. Everything else was average.
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
The best film that Stallone make since Rocky 3. Rocky Balboa presents all the elements of Rocky's franchise, just like others sequels of the first version. Despite, the excitation to see Rocky again, many years after Rocky 5 (1990), Rocky Balboa is a good, but, weak movie. The director, Mr. Stallone, adjust this best character to the present day in a very good way, but lost the hand of a great screenplay since Rocky 2.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
Rocky Balboa is a genius finale to the most famous fictional boxer in film history, this movie was great. The plot is one about redemption and how to live with doing something you do not enjoy, and how the world tries to tell you what to do, and I just completely loved the story. The cast is as incredible as thwy ever have been, Stallone still is great. The boxing scenes are still great and now modern arenas make it really feel incredible, I loved it. Rocky Balboa was the one sequel I heard was good in the series, and so I felt great watching what is the incredible finale to Rocky Balboa.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
C+
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

July 12, 2010
Surprisingly smart, "Rocky Balboa" aspires to inspire all to not let age halt your dreams. Like all Rocky films, the film ends with a rousing battle that teaches all that winning is not nearly as important as trying and succeeding
Conner R

May 25, 2010
A great return/finale to an amazing series that needed a proper closing. Sylvester Stallone did such an amazing job writing, directing and starring in the most personal and heart-felt entry in the series since the first. I think this managed to make Rocky even more lovable than ever before, proving that he is probably the greatest and most noble movie character to ever live. Seeing him fight someone half his age was only the tip of the ice berg in this story. What really shines in the film is what Rocky has done for himself and others in the community, acting as a guardian and protector over Philadelphia.
Carlos M

November 1, 2009
A wonderful film, almost on a par with the original one, as Stallone has finally realized that the very best about the series was the human drama, not the punches - and I can say I was really moved by this piece of work.
Al S

January 31, 2007
It's the best Rocky movie ever. It's rousing, powerful and very exciting. A stirring, riveting and breathtaking film. Utterly, deeply moving, emtional and outstandingly awe inspiring. An absolute triumph. A pure knockout thats all heart. It's Incrediable, extroadinary and truly unforgettable. I loved this movie. Sylvester Stallone gives a knockout performance. His best in years. Stallone proves he can still play this character with a heart of gold and it only just gets better with age. Also showing he's just as good as a filmmaker, writing and directing his best film yet. Milo Ventimiglia gives an amasing performance. Burt Young is brilliant. It still makes us wanna stand on our feet and cheer. It has the hard-hitting action and drama to satisfy the crowd at anytime. A truly beautiful piece of excellence.
Anthony L

August 27, 2009
I love Rocky and this is a fitting and tastefully made final instalment. Like a fine wine, Rocky has matured well, and although this is by no means a perfect film, it did feel like a special treat, like a 'Go on then, just one more' treat.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
Surprised this film's rating is so high...must just be cause it's Rocky. The classic Rocky films rock, no pun intended, but this one not so much to me...wasn't worth the wait. I like the reminiscing, and the fight is alright, but just overall it lacks the flair and excitement of the classics. The Rambo update was much better.
Edward B

June 24, 2007
The age vs. youth element adds a whole new dynamic to the character. Will not disappoint Rocky fans.
Jon L

August 21, 2007
I just finished watching the first Rocky and then this one for the first time. This was such a good conclusion to the series. Though I watched them back-to-back you could potentially take out the middle4 movies and it would be a great sequel to the first one. Lot?s of nostalgic parallels made this movie for me, as well as a climactic ending as usual. If you like Rocky movies, see this one to find out how it all ends.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 24, 2008
Wow was I wrong to think this wasn't as better as the others in the rocky series. Sylvester is one heck of a good actor and proved to us all that no matter how old you are it's about how many times you can get hit and keep moving forward.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 12, 2007
WAY better than everybody gives it credit for.