Rocky Balboa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky Balboa Reviews

January 25, 2016
I was looking forward to this instalment of Rocky after I was disappointed by number 4 and to a degree number 5. This is better but for me it did not reach the high bar that the earlier Rocky films had sent. The plot is pretty implausible but you can't blame them for trying. I'm going to be honest, this film is overrated. I think too many people have watched this with rose tinted glasses and after watching number 4 and 5 I suppose anything better was bound to get decent reviews. As much as I like the Rocky franchise, I did feel that this was a bit of a feeble effort that was too sentimental for it's own good.

I'm so glad Creed has come along and breathed new life into the franchise because let's face it, it was crying out for it.
½ July 15, 2008
A nice way to close it out. A beautiful speech by Rocky in the movie to his son. One of my favourites, ever.
½ January 20, 2016
It brings back Rocky, some nostalgia for the first film, and it is one of the duller entries, but it does at least have heart. The same formula is there but it's not so apparent, and Stallone still carries the role. The final fight isn't the most exciting, but it helps the plot's main point.
January 8, 2016
The saga ended with a bang
January 5, 2016
Another surprising great one from Sly! He realizes he's getting old and it's harder to compete with younger/stronger competitors. But old men can still be bad asses who don't give up on life.
February 26, 2013
One of the best comeback stories of all times, has seeped through to the sequels(finally). I love the whole Rocky franchise(even part V), but this film certainly brings back the passion and heart of the original and the energy and determination of Rocky III.
If you haven't seen this film, than you must be crazy. GO SEE IT NOW! Definately Academy Awards worthy...
January 3, 2016
Stallone does with this one what he should have done with the terrible Rocky V. A perfect bookend for the series. As close to the quality of the original as he has come in the entire series. You miss some of the characters so beloved in the franchise but their absence is part of what makes this entry work so well.
July 24, 2007
The legacy of rocky will live on forever
January 3, 2016
Clearly better than Rocky 4 and 5, but still hits the same beats as the original Rocky with less force and compelling effect.
August 22, 2007
Felt like return to form for the series, a bleak depressing sendoff with a lot of heart.
December 28, 2015
Po obejrzeniu wszystkich siedmiu filmów odmawiam przyzna?, ?e Rocky Balboa jest fikcyjn? postaci?. I lec? do Filadelfii zrobi? sobie zdj?cie pod jego pomnikiem :)
November 29, 2015
Still pounding the meat.
December 26, 2015
Stallone erases the ghost of 'Rocky V' and serves up a delightful feel good flick, that truly pulls on the heart strings.
½ December 22, 2015
A worthy entry to the Rocky series, although nothing particularly new to be seen here, but that can be a good thing for those who are fans of the franchise, as this film sticks with the rocky "formula" that we have grown to know and love.

As opposed to Rocky III-V, Rocky Balboa is paced more like the first two Rocky movies that leans more towards story and less action. RB may not always deliver the same emotional body blow of the original "Rocky", but in the end, was a satisfying and solid wrap up to the series. (Not counting Creed, which I still need to see)
October 1, 2009
After re-watching this recently I must say my attitude has shifted, this film is about genuine & heartfelt reflection and contemplation of Rocky's life & achievements as much as it is about his final bout in the ring. All in all a great film and an excellent companion piece to the equally acclaimed 'Creed' sequel released recently.
December 14, 2015
Amazingly, this is a very good movie. Rocky comes out of retirement to fight one more time. But more importantly, the movie is about dealing with change, with loss, with the irretrievable passing of time and how life goes on, no matter what happens. Rocky is more than a fighter, he is now a philosopher who observes life and the people in it. The young girl from the past is now a grown woman. The young boy who was his son is now a grown man. But despite the passage of time, Rocky is still Rocky. He is the Tevya the Milkman of Philadelphia. This movie is about not giving up, always moving forward and never looking back. And let's not forget Paulie played by Burt Young. Mr. Young offers a fabulous performance as Rocky's suffering yet indefatigable brother-in-law Paulie. Paulie is the every-man, the average Joe, the guy in the crowd who in this movie is heard. In a way, this movie is about you and me because there's a little bit of Paulie in all of us.
December 14, 2015
Stallone is fantastic especially when Rocky talks to his son ,it has a lot of heart probably even more than the original , its definately worth to check out and have a good time.
December 8, 2015
Quite possibly the greatest round from the Italian Stallion. Rocky's return is one of the greatest comebacks in history.
December 3, 2015
It's clumsy, a bit dumb and kinda rambles but it's also big-hearted and endearingly old-fashioned, just like the lug himself.
September 27, 2011
Probably the best Rocky film since the original. That isn't to say its as good, the first was to original and charming to be beat by any of its subsequent sequels. This one manages to take what could've been yet another unnecessary sequel made years after the series was a hit, and managed to make something out of it. The film deals with aging much better than I expected. Indy 4, for example, did a bad job of dealing with the aging aspect of its lead...whereas the Star Trek films deal with age more naturally and weave it into the story better. This film weaved it in well, and the final fight with Dixon does a much better job of mixing in clips from previous films than "Rocky V" had done. There are still problems, like the storyline of Rocky helping out Marie and her son really goes nowhere. But I actually liked this movie, and thought it worked better than I was expecting.