The Rocky Horror Picture Show Reviews

½ December 28, 2010
An adorable hybrid of musical, comedy and horror parody with a delightful performance by Tim Curry, who steals the show and was certainly having a lot of fun doing this movie - and it is full of great songs, delicious over-the-top acting and well-inspired moments.
August 14, 2006
"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" didn't invent midnight screenings but instead turned a off Broadway musical into art form that became a phenomenon within itself. Originally it opened in nation release on September 26, 1975 with an advertisement that had the iconic poster of a lipsticked mouth with the tagline "A Different Set of Jaws"-which was a reference to Steven Spielburg's "Jaws" which went on to become the top grossing picture of 1975. Getting back to "Rocky Horror" studio executives at 20th Century-Fox knew that they had an unusual film on their hands which would require a different approach to marketing since 20th Century-Fox had major boxoffice hits including 1974's "Young Frankenstein" that was directed by Mel Brooks. Before the film's U.S. premiere in Los Angeles, Fox hired a promotion company to distribute flyers to people in line to see other films as well as concerts, clubs,and beaches and other spots of interest. The company that Fox promoted handed out more than 100,000 flyers in the eight weeks before the film opened in larger cities and later on nationwide. The premise worked in some areas and in other didn't. During it's original release "Rocky Horror" became a boxoffice disaster and it wasn't until 1976 when the Waverly Theater in New York City began showing the film as part of it's midnight screenings and from there it caught on to other cities as part of its Friday and Saturday night late shows bringing in massive crowds. From there the midnight showings expanded into more cities by the end of 1980 where it played at more than 200 theaters nationwide and to this day it is the longest running midnight screening of a film that not only has audience participation but bringing in massive crowds every weekend to see it. The long-running continuation of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" was soon followed by other midnight screenings of "Pink Flamingos", "Fritz The Cat", "Blazing Saddles","Night of the Living Dead", "Harold and Maude", "King of Hearts", "El Topo",not to mention the 1936 movie "Reefer Madness" just to name a few. But "Rocky Horror" added another level of enjoyment to these midnight screenings since some theaters gave discounted admission to anyone dressed up in character costumes where there would be singing along and vocally interacting with the one screen action(among the items frequently brought to throw at the screen were toast, newspapers, confetti,rice, toliet paper,and a deck of cards)which continues to this day....40th years after its original release. "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" even though it was a low-budget produced (by Lou Adler),cult classic made huge stars of two unknown actors Barry Bostwick and future Oscar winning actress Susan Sarandon and made British sensation Tim Curry into a cult phenomenon beyond expectations. Even for its time 1975 was controversial but still remains a bonafide classic especially when we want to go through the time warp again.
½ December 12, 2007
Somehow my flixster rating for this was 2, even though I never saw it before (huh?).
Well, what do you know, finally watched it tonight and rating was about right.
Glad I finally saw it, but honestly it's nothing I would rush to watch again.
It's original, I will give it that. I liked a few, not all, of the songs. And full marks to Susan Sarandon. I did not actually realise she was in this.
On the downside, it's kind of ugly to look at and you have to suspend belief beyond what you normally would in a musical. I'm not sure I entirely "got" it, to be honest. It's kind of grotesque.
Actually really having trouble articulating my thoughts on this. That is probably exactly what they were going for!
½ June 9, 2006
This is THE film that comes to mind when people talk about cult classics and 'midnight movies'. It's also quite possibly the weirdest musical I have ever seen, and I was completely sober, too.

What we get here is a campy, schlocky ode to campy and schlocky sci-fi and horror fare, done as a gloriously cheesy rock and roll musical joyride.

The plot it really bare bones, and doesn't really make a whole lot of sense or really have much of a point, but that's besides the point. What makes this so fun, memorable, and popular is that it is just so odd, random, and ridiculous, and it's just damn near impossible to not find something to enjoy here.

What bare plot there is concerns newlyweds Brad and Janet who, after having car trouble during a storm, seek shelter/assistance at a gothic castle filled with a bunch of delightfully odd weirdos, with the man in charge being a transvestite mad scientist who claims to be from another planet, and who is in the process of creating his own version of the Frankenstein story.

This is not a film for all tastes, but I think it is one of those movies that everyone should still see, at least once. The music is really awesome, catchy, and fun, the performances are also just a scream, especially Tim Curry in his signature role as the transvestite Dr. Frank-N-Furter. I'm a fan of redheads, and in this film we get two of them, both lovely in their own way, whether it's the curly longhaired variety of Patricia Quinn as Magenta, or, my favorite, the super short, straight, and flat locks of Little Nell Campbell as Columbia...MEOW! This film also has a rockin' turn from Meatloaf, as well as Susan Sarandon at her flat out sexiest and most bangable.

The film is a great ode to sci-fi and horror, and the set designs, costumes, and art direction reflect this, bringing together a mix of the gothic, with the kinky, and the delightfully tacky camp side of life.

If you want to have a good time, and really crave something wild and outrageous, then you must give this a watch. Seeing it at a public viewing is the preferred way to do it, but not if you haven't already seen it before. So yeah, watch it at home if you're a newbie, then go join the masses so you can really appreciate the love people have for this one.
½ October 26, 2012
One of the strangest phenomena in movie history, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and what viewers get out of it are almost completely dependent on the context in which they see the film rather than the film itself. Why this movie in particular became the cultural oddity it did is a fascinating mystery, but perhaps it fits that a movie that at its core is seemingly meaningless and weird, but actually full of messages, would turn out to be something more than it started out as. As it stands, "Rocky Horror" succeeds as a film because of its charming lack of inhibitions, Tim Curry's captivating performance, and the insane, mesmerizing collision between hidden ambition, low-budget production value, and randomness.
½ May 15, 2007
A classic.
½ August 9, 2011
Now finally having seen the "Rocky Horror" phenomenon both on stage in its last West End theatrical production (with Richard O'Brien in person, nonetheless) and in one of its famed interactive sessions in a proper cinema, I can say for sure that the film doesn't really work in the same way at home. It misses out on the energy and unpredictability of a crowd that is way too worried about having fun and putting on a show which might be even better and more elaborate than the film itself. So "Rocky Horror" is a musical which could be made in no era other than the 70s: a musical for the newly-liberated druggie counter culture which would later become the next generation's idea of a cult film. It's cheap, campy, trashy and kitschy, but somehow all the flaws and the obvious fact that none of the involved really knew how to make a movie work its way into the film's fabric to become its trademark. And besides the themes of tranvesticism, cannibalism and sexual and social liberation, everything is done in such an innocently stupid way, allowing it's audience to laugh at a hunky Frankenstein monster fondling Susan "muscle fan" Sarandon without feeling any guilt. And though the second half of the film is pretty downbeat, the energy of the good old timewarp just can't be denied.
½ October 29, 2011
If you are ever going to talk about the history of cult film, this is the one film that will have a complete section of it's own. The back story to how The Rocky Horror Picture Show became what it is, is just as legendary as the film itself. Originally being a cult favorite stage play, it was obvious that a major film company would go on to produce a film adaptation. Well, when this film premiered it was beyond bashed. So, in order to make money off of the film, it was released as a midnight film and as such became one of the most accomplish films in history of film (with having one honor of being the one film with the longest running time in theaters (been shown in theaters sense 1975)).
But when people talk about how good this film is, they are never really talking about the film itself. They are talking about the experience of seeing it in theaters with a crowd. When you see this film in theaters, it is an experience unlike any other. Basically think of a crowd on crack, shouting lines at the film, and throwing things like rice and toast at the screen while people reenacting the film in the isles and below the screen. Let's just say that it is one of the great film traditions that has given this film such a strong love.
But is this a good film? Well, if one sits down and watches it... it really is not. Let me explain: the story is a wonderful tribute to the Hammer horror films of the 50's and 60's plus it is a great celebration of being yourself and rock music, but the writing is not really that great and some of the song lyrics are not the best. In reallity, it is just a mediocre film at best.
Then, why is it I give it such a strong rating then? Well, the answer is that while the film is mediocre, the message, the singing talents, and just the atmosphere of the film make it great. It is hard not to enjoy one's self when you see the bizarre and weird characters, hear the offbeat music, and start to find yourself strangely feeling for the characters as they search for their place in this world.
Plus this film done one thing that I have observed that has happened to many people: this is a film that makes one question their own sexuality. The other main idea of the film is that you only live once so have fun and explore yourself. That is what this film tells you. Now, I am not saying go dress up as a transvestite, kidnap some people when they are asking for a phone, and then cause a line of events that involve your servants and sex servant. I am saying that this film basically says to just enjoy and express yourself while loving who you are.
Acting, I only need to say one name and he has been complimented on about this performance so much that I am surprised he has not gotten sick of it yet. And that would be Tim Curry. Just, this was his first film role and he gave a ballsy performance as Frank N Furter which, to any other actor, this role would of been the first and only role he would of got. But, like all of Hollywood, once he became well known, everyone wanted him. With the exception of LEGEND, this is the best film that shows off his acting abilities. Plus his one hell of a singing voice.
Basically this film is one that you can expect to continue on for years to come and there is still no sign of stopping this mad brain child of Richard O'Brien. With the television show GLEE having their tribute episode, you can expect people to experience this erotic nightmare and sensual daydream for many, many more years to come. Only one thing left to say: Let's Do The Time Warp Again!
½ January 22, 2008
I will never understand why this movie got any cult following at all.
August 19, 2011
Many view this film as a cult following. I watched it for the first time the other day and could not stand it. I know it is suppose to be crazy, but I did not find it funny, and the songs were boring and over-rated. I did like Charles Gray's criminologist character narrating sections in between but overall I did not enjoy the film and can't say much more about it. I am usually fair but this really annoyed me, the combination of bad cinematography, suggestive behaviour and bad script's and cheesy acting really did it for me.
* 1 Star
½ July 12, 2007
As far as wacky camp pastiche musicals is concerned I'll have Brian DePalma's "Phantom of the Paradise" over this any day. But I like this kind of unpretentious- tongue in cheek- maniacal gender blender stuff. Tim Curry looks as horrifying as funny. Great songs and homages to classic horror and science fiction.
½ July 7, 2007
Camp send-up of 50's sci-fi films and the purported sexual mores of the time is fast moving schlocky rocky fun.
July 7, 2007
Adult musical. Brad and Jane's car gets a flat tyre. They go to a castle to get help but there are strange happenings going on. Love the music. Tim Curry is excellent!
November 16, 2010
September 5, 2010
Fantastic! One of my favourite musicals of all time. This movie is a cult classic, it's a combination of comedy, sci-fi, and horror my favourite genres, and the songs are so catchy and hilarious, I just love this movie. I highly recommend it.
January 4, 2007
A film in which nothing makes sense and almost every song sounds the same; The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the very definition of camp. This undoubtedly bad film is strangely fascinating and sexy in a "guilty pleasure" sort of way. Vivid, colorful cinematography is a strong asset of this film where terrible acting (except for Tim Curry, of course) and terrible voices thrive.
July 23, 2008
One of the greatest movie musicals of all time. Tim Curry is the best you'll ever see, and Barry Bostwick is as clueless as ever.
September 10, 2007
i dont know how its so liked i swear i could have died of boredom with this movie!!
Yes i give the movie the fact that it is the most weird and parculiar movie ive ever seen but thats noting to be proud bout!!
It was annoying from tim curry to the weird blonde dude that must be compensating for something!!
It was the worse actng i have ever seen, but nevertheless i still love susan surandon!!
For a comedy cult horror there was nothing of either it wasnt funny and it didnt have that darkness scary about it just plan weird!
I hated every moment of the movie its rubbish but clearly well liked!!
August 2, 2009
It's astounding. Time is fleeting. And so on. Full review later.