—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Rocky II Reviews

KJ P

September 5, 2010
All this film really does is build stronger characters and a much better story to follow. As Rocky and Adrian get married, buy a house and attempt to have a kid, Rocky is faced with job gains and losses all over town. Wanting something more with his life, he realizes that his true calling is still back in the boxing ring. More than anything, this film serves as a very strong redemption film, and in the end, I almost had tears in my eyes at how effective they make it out to be. Stallone again, puts his all into this character, and although some of the other actors feels a little unmotivated (mainly the character of Adrian), the film is still great overall. The filmmaking and script is overall better in the first film, but this serves as a great sequel! The "champ" is back!
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
One of the best sequels ever and maybe more powerful that the first Rocky .
Eugene B

February 10, 2013
Sylvester Stallone is a knockout punch in front and behind the camera as he directs the sequel to his Oscar-winning-hay-maker. Rocky II is somewhat predictable in its story but is held up by it's glorifying humility and visual presentation. 4/5
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 9, 2012
First sequel to Rocky is of course the best. After the match between Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa, angry fans want a rematch. This is a great sequel, but like with every other sequel, suffers from trying to top the original. I found this sequel to be more character driven, and I quite enjoyed the fact that it focused more on the chemistry between Adrian and Rocky. The story is very well done, and fans of the first should check this film out. Of all the sequels made after Rocky, Rocky II still is the best one because it continues the story that was told in the first and ends it on a high note. The other sequels, though some of them were good tried to reinvent the character, and sometimes didn't capture the feel or essence of the character. This is a fine sequel to a great film, and the filmmakers do their best at delivering an effective sequel to a classic underdog film. With some great performances, and an effective story that is entertaining from start to finish, Rocky II is a must see for Rocky fans everywhere. Though at times, you see it has a few imperfections, this is the best sequel of the series and it delivers everything that you enjoyed from the first film. This is a brilliant film with a great cast and directing. Although predictable, there's still plenty to enjoy here if loved the first. As a whole, this is a well crafted sequel, and is among the best in the franchise. Sylvester Stallone's direction is solid and he is able to craft a terrific story that is both entertaining and inspiring.
JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

June 25, 2012
More character development, same hackneyed directing and schmaltzy storytelling.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 26, 2011
Mickey: This guy don't just want to win, you know. He wants to bury you, he wants to humiliate you, he wants to prove to the whole world that you was nothing but some kind of a... a freak the first time out.

"The Rematch Of The Century"

Rocky II is a lot like Rocky. In fact, it is the exact same formula. So that subtracts a little from the film. Despite that, it is an adequate sequel to a cherished original. There's nothing too great going on here, but for fans of the original, it is easily enough. The film has a lot of heart(maybe a bit too much) and the happy ending is sure to send viewers home feeling good. Stallone steps into the directors chair here and does a decent job. I can't really say it was anything special because he pretty much copied the original direction for every scene. Nothing really screams new director. His screenplay also is nothing special.

This sequel picks up right where the first one left off. Rocky has just lost the big fight to Apollo, but it was a moral victory. Doctors tell him he shouldn't fight anymore because of a severely damaged eye. He listens to them, marries Adrian, and impregnates her. Soon, Apollo is back asking for a rematch; telling the world that Rocky is scared since he won't fight. So here comes Rocky, back, ready to fight. We have the same sequences where Mickey says he's a bum, then trains him. The story is nothing to write home about.

It's a feel good, fan pleasing movie, and nothing more. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I've watched it many times, and still I am able to watch it all the way through with no problems, which is the best praise I can give the movie. Not as classic as the original, but it never needed to be. It serves the purpose of advancing a beloved characters story. Too bad they had to keep advancing it.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 18, 2011
This is the sequel that Stallone put his backbone into and tried his best to make something more passionate than the first installment. This first sequel packs a good punch.
Alexander D

June 17, 2011
Title character marries girlfriend? Very predictable. They have a kid? No spoiler there, folks. Rocky is illiterate? Who knew!

But, who cares? And basically, those two words sum up ROCKY II. The first one was great. It put love in our hearts and success in our minds, and it was uplifting. This one is just as uplifting, but gives a little too much love, a little too scarce aggression. It has boxing, yes, but it's more just the film where Adrian weds Rocky and immediately finds out all these ridiculous things about him. The first I already mentioned.

That's not to say that this was at all a bad film, in any way at all (well, maybe a little bad-ass, for a pun). For a sequel to the film that was awarded the Academy Award for Best Picture just three years earlier, it was both well-received by critics, and it performed fairly well at the box office. Sometimes, though, we just have to wonder: how many of the 71% of Rotten Tomatoes critics that liked this film were given it a "Gentleman's C+" (in this case, using that term mostly to mean critics giving it that it was a good sequel, but as a stand-alone film, it wouldn't have been that great)?
Lady D

August 3, 2006
My predicted rating: 2.5

Worth seeing as part of the series, but it's just like the first with added parts of Rocky's personal life thrown in.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This fails to top the original, but it's one of the better sequels in the series.

They try to expand upon the story and character, which is always cool, but I'm not entirely happy with how they handle things. They don't do a bad job, but this movie doesn't have quite the same amount of heart and passion as the first. It sure tries though.

I do like this movie, and I've gorwn to like it more than I used to, but I can't help but feel just slightly underwhelmed by it. It is at least beter than some of the others though, so that counts for a lot.
Conner R

May 25, 2010
A true sequel, continuing on where the first left off. This shows Rocky lose a lot of the respect he tried so hard to get, leading to a re-match with Apollo Creed. In many ways the story is strengthened with this entry because we get to see Rocky really accomplish his goal and get the complete recognition that he deserved. While it lost some of the great tracking shots and slow pace from the first, it manages to keep all of the heart and human aspect which is a lot more essential.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 1, 2008
I think I liked the second one more than the first one, then again, I'm a big fan of character development in a film.
Carlos M

October 23, 2009
Yes, Stallone, you really did it!, and this exciting and moving Rocky II is a great follow-up to the amazing first film - proving once and for all that it had just not been beginner's luck.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
This movie is a great sequel. Rocky not only has his rematch with Apollo Creed. He marries Adrian and becomes a father. The scenes when Rocky stays by Adrians side during her coma during childbirth shows you that he really loves Adrian. Don't listen to the critics and watch this movie. I LOVE IT!!!!!! DEFINETELY SHOULD WATCH THIS
SUPER AWESOME!!! Great Rematch! The most electrifying rematch in motion picture history! :)
Anthony L

August 27, 2009
The structure of this film is pretty much the same as in the first, its just a bit bigger, if not a little cheesier in places. You have Rocky running up the steps again but this time he has a billion and one kids with him, he's still trying to get the girl but this time its out of a coma, but, you get the picture. The good thing is that everything I liked about the first film is improved, specifically, the humour and dialogue between Rocky and Adrian. Its a very witty film and I would go as far to say that its a much better script then the first. Alas, the fight scene for me was a little too much, or should I say, a little far fetched. An unnecessary (but enjoyable) sequel in many ways but then again, you can't have a franchise without one!
Jon L

August 21, 2007
Good sequel! Even though it was quite close to the original, it is a good edition to the saga.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
This is a great boxing film with MR T on the scene to take Rocky's world title. Will he be able to get it back or has he lost his edge. Some great boxing scenes in this even if it is a bit cheesey at times.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

April 19, 2008
If you missed the first one (for some-odd reason) then you'll catch it again by watching this, which is pretty much a remake of the original, except this time Rocky wins. Not a horrible entry in the franchise, but certainly not the best. Thank God Rocky V or this one would be the worst of them all.
Chris G

March 9, 2008
Essentially this film is a remake of the first film except *SPOILER* Rocky wins.
garyX
garyX

January 2, 2007
It of course retreads the same ground as the first, but it's efficiently done despite the obvious predictability of it all.