Rocky II Reviews

August 30, 2012
Rocky is the type of character that brings emotion out of his viewers. Another very good underdog story that does not disappoint at all.
½ July 20, 2014
Pretty good, but something came unhinged when the montage kicked in.
½ July 19, 2014
It's actually quite shocking how bad Rocky II is compared to the first. Not that I expect anything else from a sequel by default. I guess I just had better memories about this movie from childhood.

The thing is, Rocky I was not an action movie, but brilliant drama about a "nobody", that conquered everyone's hearts by being a simple, but warm hearted man. In R2 the dude just seems retarded and so do his friends. The script is full of all kinds of "funny" one liners and drama development copied from R1, but guess what: Not working anymore.

Actually. If you watch all the Rocky movies in a row, you start to believe Stallone wrote the first one by accident. It's so different from the others. I'm not saying he should have his friend John G "Karate Kid" Avildsen direct again, 'cause Rocky 5 is probably worst movie on the planet, but let's face it: Stallone ain't no Charlie Chaplin.

Highlights? Probably the only carracters that somehow manage to maintain their credibility are Mickey and Apollo. Few of Mickey's one liners are actually pretty funny. ("Eat thunder and crap lightning" & "Speed is what we need. We need more speed!").
Montage, music score and "THE" fight are pretty much the same. Stallone, as a good business man, knows what sells. That ain't no comfort, though.

Rocky II is a failure.
July 14, 2014
One of the "very best" sequels EVER made!!! Not only does Sly Stallone perform at a champion's level, he creates some of the "very best" magic behind the camera in developing the characters in Rocky II facing a realism of heartfelt struggle, symbolic adversity in the realm of "real life" far removed from today's film standards and remakes of yesteryear, that finishes with triumphant perseverance and leaves the audience cheerfully ecstatic in the end!!! If you don't agree after watching this movie, STOP WATCHING movies and go back to reading if people still do that....
July 8, 2014
one of the best movies that i have ever seen in my live
½ December 10, 2011
Rocky II delivers a knockout punch as a riveting drama that surpasses the original. Writer/director Sylvester Stallone has crafted a smart, compelling sequel that captures the spirit of the first film while taking the story in a new and interesting direction. Yet, in a lot of ways it's the same story as the original, but with some nice twists and reversals: riches-to-rags Rocky Balboa is given one last chance at the world heavyweight boxing championship by Apollo Creed (who himself needs to be redeemed as the undisputed champion). This Rocky installment is very cinematic with some impressively well-crafted fight sequences and training montages: such as the iconic scene of Rocky running up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art with hundreds of fans following him. Rocky II takes the series to the next level and is a classic film in its own right.
½ June 21, 2014
I actually preferred this to the original! The outcome is obvious, it's just a little cheesy, and I've never seen a boxer leave his guard down and his head open for continuous punches, but come the glorious training montage and exciting rematch it's hard not to be swept up by the whole thing
June 14, 2014
It's really hard NOT to enjoy the Rocky films and much like the first film, the sequel is full of heart and a heart-pounding, tear-jerking final 30 minutes.
June 12, 2014
of course we knew how it would end :D
March 6, 2012
Round 2 between Rocky and Apollo. The film delivers enough punches to make me want more, or four more movies for that matter.
½ May 3, 2014
A great sequel to a great movie.
April 10, 2014
With thin plot, this movie bring a hell of performance again. Good sequel!
½ April 10, 2014
Rocky II focuses lesson the fight, and instead, the film is more of a character study of Rocky and his life with Adrian. Yet, the movie has just as much charm and charisma as the first one.
½ April 7, 2014
A satisfying continuation of the Rocky story. While a little simpler than the masterful first movie, it is very enjoyable.
April 4, 2014
One of the best films of all time and it has 71% rating?! That's bs!
½ March 21, 2014
Rocky Balboa (Stallone): It's Apollo.
Mickey (Burgess Meredith): Who were you expecting?
Rocky Balboa (Stallone): I was hoping he wouldn't show

As good as this sequel was, like many sequels, it cannot surpass the first film (at least in my humble opinion). I mean don't get wrong, it had as good as boxing match between Rocky and Apollo as the first one but the first one had so much heart and the relationship between Adrian and Rocky has moved onto a more comfortable romance rather than the kind that makes your heart skip a beat. The sequel's event is more formula driven rather than organic like the first one. Now with that said, this film was still a pretty entertaining story of the ultimate underdog that everyone can get behind and Stallone's honest and raw portrayal of Rocky just makes him as endearing as the first time we fell in-love with the character from the first film.
March 5, 2014
While a fairly worthy sequel, it just doesn't come close to reaching the emotional heights of the first Rocky.
½ February 4, 2006
Excellent sequel . . nearly as good as the first.
January 30, 2014
Makes me tear each time.
January 24, 2014
Wow ... I really hate this film. If Stallone's mush-mouthed Rocky-can't-succeed stuff went on for maybe half an hour before launching into the movie proper, I could probably take it. But Stallone's prattle is about 3/4 of the damn film, and it's excruciating. By the time we actually get to him fighting Creed again, I'm beyond caring.