Rocky II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky II Reviews

October 23, 2009
Yes, Sylvester Stallone, you really did it, and this exciting and surprisingly moving sequel - written, directed and acted by him, no less - is an impressive follow-up and definite proof that the success of that fantastic first film was a lot more than just beginner's luck.
November 17, 2015
Everything that was wrong with the first is approved immensely, amazing film by far
½ September 24, 2013
Rocky II is a continuation of the story of Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) after the finale of the first movie. Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) demands a rematch to defend himself against a media onslaught attacks him for the results of the first match. Meanwhile Rocky is adjusting to life as a local celebrity and this is putting added pressures on both him personally and his relationship with Adrian (Talia Shire).

Things I Liked:

Sylvester Stallone. Once again I really find myself impressed with Stallone. The emotional moments he has in the film hit almost as hard as some of his punches. He has massive high moments that lift you up with him, and bitter low moments, that really emotionally grip you. Stallone carries the movie as Rocky and you really get a feel for his story and the changes he has happen since the first one.

Carl Weathers. What I like about this one is we get more info into Apollo Creed's life and what he deals with as a well known professional boxer. We see him more as a person in this movie as he deals with the backlash from the first film's outcome, and less as a pretty face to represent the world outside of Rocky's or as a simple loudmouth meathead who is pulling off a publicity stunt, as he was in the first movie. Weathers brings a performance that really cements himself in this series.

Things I Didn't Like:

The Second Half. The second half of the movie almost felt like a total rehash of the first one. There were similar moments in the fight, similar training montage, similar problems with his home life, similar emotional moments. The first half takes Rocky to a new place and the second returns him to the first movie, which we have already seen and don't need to retread.

Adrian's Character. Adrian takes a new position in her relationships with all the people around her and it seems like a diversion from her character in the first film. She is assertive, she is confident, she is completely devoid of the shy and unassuming girl we met in the first Rocky. It's not a bad performance from Talia Shire, but just that the character doesn't seem to fit the choices made in the first Rocky movie, it seems like a new character.

Overall:

Overall, the movie is a solid follow up to the first Rocky, but doesn't reach it's level of success. While there are still great performances and these are particularly true of Stallone and Weathers, there are moments and choices that seem to either repeat the first film or abandon it all together. The last half of the movie is a slightly altered version of the first movie's most iconic moments, and the character of Adrian seems to totally change her personality in a way that seems less like character growth and more like a whole new character. Rocky II is essentially an inferior version of the first Rocky. If the first one didn't exist this would be a great film, but as a follow up it just doesn't meet the high standard set by the first one.
November 15, 2015
I feel like a Kentucky Fried Idiot

After the first Rocky movie we saw a highly paid man that was ready to retire from the sport. He marries Adrian, and she becomes pregnant. They go through their money quickly while Rocky struggles to find a job. Meanwhile, Apollo will stop at nothing to get a rematch with Rocky despite saying in the ring he wanted no part of one. Will Rocky give into financial temptation and fight Apollo again?

"Some say that's from the high school he never graduated from."

Sylvester Stallone, director of Paradise Alley, Rocky III & IV, Staying Alive, Rambo, and Rocky Balboa, delivers Rocky 2. The storyline for this picture picks up nicely from the first film and is told in a compelling and dramatic nature. There is a nice mix of comedy and drama in this picture. The acting in this is excellent and the cast includes Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Burgess Meredith, and Tony Burton.

"What cants? There's no cants."

All of these films were added to Netflix some time ago so I added them to my wish list. I was a HUGE fan of these films growing up and I still love them now. The endings are always marvelous in these films as are the montages. Overall, this is an all time classic that isn't as great as the first film.

"I wish I was a K9 sometimes."

Grade: B
October 29, 2015
I love Apollo the character!
½ October 17, 2015
Rocky 2 is fun, exciting and dramatic. In my opinion, better than the first.
October 13, 2015
With more emotional investment into the characters and story, Rocky II is a sequel that outdoes the first.
½ November 11, 2006
Rocky, Rocky II and Rocky III were good flicks. Has been some years since I saw it so need to see again.
August 30, 2015
i really respect Rocky's but I am watching these again and I am really underwhelmed and I find them pretty cheesy so far but still respect them
August 29, 2015
The original Rocky film really is a classic despite how predictable and silly the series ended up becoming. This sequel picks up right where the original left off with Rocky being defeated by Apollo and the film them built to a rematch as Rocky tries to get a job outside the ring to appease his wife, Talia Shire. However, just when they thought he was out, they pull him back in. This first sequel isn't as silly and cartoony as parts III and 4, but it's still pretty corny and doesn't have quite the same heart or sincerity as the first film. Story-wise, the film mostly suffers from Rocky no longer being as much of the underdog going into the big fight. Sylvester Stallone took over the directing reigns here and does a solid job behind the camera and in front of the camera most of the cast returns from the original, including Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Burgess Meredith and the great Joe Spinell. Bill Conti also returns as composer to deliver the same rousing music as in the original. Oh, and Sly's brother Frank appears in the film as a singer.
August 23, 2015
So here we go the sequel to one of the greatest movies in the 70s, Rocky 2. Thi s movie cathes up exactly where the last movie ended (after the fight). This movie really followed up the first one really well. The story (oh lord) is really great and the acting is good. So the story is 9/10 (1 point missing because there are some stuff there that doesn't make too much sense). In this movie Rocky doesn't wanna fight anymore and tries to work at other jobs but it just doesn't work out for him, he tries to do comercial and it's just not his thing. Meanwhile Apollo has started taunting Rocky that he's too much of an chicken to fight him. So as the story progresses Rocky do what he most do, Box. Although in the begining when he trains he's having very much trouble because of Adrians coma being on his mind all the time (She got into coma after giving birth). So after she wakes up she says "Win" to Rocky and we hear an as always great burgess meridith saying "What are we waiting for!" And an awesome training montage begins. Now the fight is a really big meh for me Rocky takes punches to his head like he's an sandbag I get that he's supposed to have an great chin but come on!. 4/5 good movie and a great follow up.
July 5, 2015
"Rocky II" is a film that gets better as it progresses. The film starts out on a low note - the entire opening five minutes is the ending from the first film, which is kind of lazy. Then it rushes through Rocky and Adrian's wedding, Adrian's pregnancy, and Rocky spending all of the money he won in the fight. This sets Rocky up to be in an almost identical situation as in the first film. Rocky cannot find work, and though we can sympathize with that, he just doesn't seem as down on his luck as he didn't in the first film. He keeps saying he's not going to get back in that ring, but we all know he will.

Though a lot of "Rocky II" is not quite as gripping as the first film, the last half hour completely makes up for it. Sylvester Stallone is as charming as ever, while Burgess Meredith plays a bigger role as Rocky's coach and is hilarious. The training montage is even better and more uplifting than the one in the previous film. Finally, Apollo and Rocky's rematch is even more brutal and intense than their first fight. It's a great fight and easily the highlight of the film!

"Rocky II" may have its faults, but like its predecessor, it is inspiring and uplifting, and I can't wait to see what "Rocky III" has in store for the new champ!
½ August 15, 2007
Amazing play by Taila Shire
January 22, 2013
Somehow even better than the first, Rocky II isn't so much a sequel as it is a straight up continuation of the first film. In that final fight against Creed... man, I swear I lift off my seat each time, as if held in the air by the power of the movie.
August 6, 2013
Rocky II, the sequel to Rocky, doesn't live up to the original, but it's still a boxing classic and a great sequel
July 27, 2015
Though not as good as the the first film, Rocky II offers the heart of a great character that you will stay with throughout. Its the rematch of the century, and it doesn't let up for one second.
½ July 19, 2015
Refusing to be a simple retread of it's predecessor, Rocky II thrives due to the skill of writer, actor, and director Sylvester Stallone and the development of its characters.
July 18, 2015
Rating: 95%
Although it takes a small step down from its predecessor, Rocky II still entertains viewers with the same excellent cast performances and enjoyable boxing matches between characters.
½ February 2, 2013
Rocky II is the inverse of everything that Rocky was. Every scene is painfully obvious, dictated either the uninventive plot or the broken cause and effect structure of the scenes. The $7 million+ budget and less rushed production have deprived the film of the gritty look and feel that was the hallmark of Rocky.
½ June 2, 2015
Easily the best of the Rocky sequels. Extremely underappreciated!