—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Rocky III Reviews

John M

May 11, 2008
More Rocky More boxing more head injuries.
KJ P

September 5, 2010
The third instalment in the "Rocky" franchise is a little underwhelming, albeit enjoyable. The cast works together better than ever, and the bond between Rocky and Apollo Creed is the best chemistry in the series yet. Deep down, this movie has elements that have been missing throughout the years in the previous films, but the script is kind of lazy and the fights don't seem as inspired. Still, the final fight with Stallone and Mr. T makes the film already good enough to view, because the raw feeling of that fight is almost better than any of the previous finales. It may not reach any new heights for the franchise, but it's still enjoyable.
Eugene B

February 10, 2013
An unnecessary but entertaining chapter to the Rocky saga. Stallone laces up the gloves again. A very cliche and somewhat-misdirected plot, dialogue and moral knocks it down, but the energetic action and boxing drama and glory brings it back up and continues to swing to the final bell. 3.5/5
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 9, 2012
As far as third entries are concerned, Rocky III is a pretty good film. As a third film, I really enjoyed how they did it. Some bits were ridiculous, but overall this was a good film that if the filmmakers would have concluded with this one, and ended the series with this flick, it would have been a fine little end to the series. Mr. T plays Rocky's adversary this time around, and I felt that though he had the delivery, his whole Mr T routine got tiresome, and ended up being quite annoying. Nonetheless Mr. T was good here, but not great. Rocky III is a good film with everything you'd expect from a good entry in the series. This was made when the series still enough creative flair to make things interesting for the viewer. One thing I very much enjoyed about the film was Hulk Hogan's cameo as Thunder Lips; I found it to be quite amusing and one of the high points of the film. If you loved the first two films, you'll surely enjoy this flick, but unlike the first two it lacks in some areas, and becomes an average third entry in the series. I nonetheless enjoyed the film, and thought it had some good fight scenes and pretty good acting. Director Sylvester Stallone crafts a memorable third film, and in many ways if they would have made Rocky a trilogy of films, this would have been a good end. The film's tone lacks the underdog value the first two had, instead goes for over the top action. The film works, but is slightly disappointing, and it could have been better. I enjoyed it, but you can clearly see that the film had so much more potential.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 18, 2011
This is definetely the weakest of the Rocky movies. Stallone didn't really expect many more greenlights for the Rocky movies so he milked the cash cows which were the first two.
Alexander D

June 17, 2011
The "Eye of the Tiger" (the concept brought up by Apollo Creed, as well as the hit Survivor song) is the only one that really makes ROCKY III a decent film. Otherwise, it's just another sequel to the 1976 Oscar-winning champion.

Sylvester Stallone managed to stay on top of things as the lead actor and the director for ROCKY II after John G. Avildsen gave up. Now, his role is going flat. And Mr. T is clearly no match for him, anyway.

So why bother with a second sequel if it's going to be, for the most part, the same old story ("...same old song and dance, my friend"--thank you, Aerosmith; I could resist an irrelevant quote)? I guess Stallone and Shire never bothered with that question.
Lady D

August 3, 2006
My predicted rating: 2 stars

Probably my favourite of the Rocky series films I've seen to date. A little more action from the very beginning, a couple of well known faces and back to the training techniques.

The Rocky films are far from flawless, with it's predictable fights and unbelievable comebacks during the matches, even so, they are what they are and this was the most entertaining so far.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 21, 2008
True 80s with the cut-off t-shirts,and headbands. When Apollo Creed trains Rocky. It shows you that he is the only fighter in all five Rocky movies that he became friends with,and was great how Apollo let Rocky use his shorts from their fight in the first movie. I love all the Rocky movies and love this one. There is also the Eye Of The Tiger song from Survivor that makes this movie awesome. ROCKY NEVER DISSAPOINTS!!! TRUST ME I AM A HUGE FAN!!!! SLY ROCKS:) 80s ROX
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
3 stars
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Going for more of an action movie vibe, this entry into the series starts to show a decline in quality. In the overall arc of things it's not too bad, but it's one I usually prefer to skip. The twist with Apollo is cool, though, and, since Mr.T is one of the less annoying phenomenons of pop culture, this movie shouldn't be condemned for imortalizing him. He's an over the top bully here, but he does a decent job.

Still though, this isn't really my thing. It's not unwatchable or boring though.
Conner R

May 25, 2010
While this is a lot different than the first two movies, I think it's the most fun in the entire series. It's really light and 80s oriented, but it still has everything that makes Rocky a great character. They also changed the formula which was interesting and surprising. What really makes it so enjoyable is the fact that you get to see Rocky live the life that he deserves. All the fame and recognition never gets to his head, he still stays the same lovable person. I love Mr. T as the villain, he just works so well as a character. Also, Carl Weathers really got to shine in this too. In many ways he is Rocky's best trainer.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 1, 2008
I'm giving it 4 stars for the final match alone, but the overal product wasn't as impressive as the second film.
Carlos M

October 26, 2009
The worst that can happen to any fighter is to get civilized, and the great underdog drama from the early films is practically over now that we are left with a famous boxing star fighting a psycho killer.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

September 29, 2009
The first two Rockies are more or less classics. Stallone, even he appears and sounds like a ( ), he knows how to make a good action/fighting drama. He directs, produces, and writes his feature films for the most part. That is often overlooked; he knows what he's doing. This is not a great film but Mr. T is a great antagonist. Hulk Hogan makes a cameo as an early opponent to Rocky, they could have cut that out.
Anthony L

August 27, 2009
I want to give it more than 3 stars but I can't. The story is exactly the same as the first 2 films but its not as sweet. The character of Rocky has turned into a 2D emotionless lump. Gone has the chirpy dialogue between him and Adrian, gone has the punchy (excuse the pun) script and gone has the charm the Rocky movies were all about. Never mind though, Its got Mr.T and Hulk Hogan in it!!! Which more than makes up for it! ;o)
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I haven't seen all the Rocky movies yet, so I can't really say which one is my favorite, but I know one thing, "Rocky III" is GREAT! Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) returns once again to the boxing ring and he still has the Heavyweight Champion of The World title. He ponders retirement after the city he lives in makes a statue of him in his honor. However, a cocky, trash talking man named Clubber Lang (Mr. T) will do anything to fight Rocky and become the new Heavyweight Champion of The World. Rocky Balboa will accept the challenge and make the fight with Clubber Lang his final fight before retirement, but Clubber Lang might be a tougher opponent than anybody suspects. So it won't be easy at all.
"Rocky III" is a great movie in every way. As usual, it has great acting with Sylvester Stallone playing the leading role. And it also has a star-studded lineup that most people will already know as Rocky Balboa's challengers, including Hulk Hogan and the man who made A-Team a major hit back in the 80's, Mr. T. If you like action packed movies, especially boxing ones, or if you liked the other Rocky movies, I definitely recommend getting "Rocky III." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000.
Ping C

June 14, 2009
It's only redeeming feature is that it feaures Mr. T.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

April 19, 2008
The Italian Stallion just keeps going and going with this one. Micky dies in this, but not before warning Balboa about how much of a badass the pre-Christian Mr. T is (as Clubber Lang). Clubber beats the stuffing out of Balboa in what was a good role Mr T clearly shined in. After Rocky's loss, he has a tough time getting motivated to get his belt back, but he finally does and wins in the end. Typical Rocky fare, but this was a very solid movie...especially after the disappointing second one.
deano
deano

December 13, 2006
This third Rocky Balba series is surprisingly entertaining with the perfomrances including Mr. T and wrestler Hulk Hogan. Sylvester Stallone manages to make it work.
Dean L