• PG, 1 hr. 31 min.

May 9, 2008
Rocky way to much
KJ P

September 5, 2010
While starting out on a better note than any of the previous films, "Rocky IV" feels more of the same. Redemption and friendship just like the third instalment. Once a friendship has to come to an end, motivation is at it's highest peak. It seems like an easy way to continue a film, but it's extremely effective. Most of this film is about training and less of relationship and character development, but in the end, the series always did need a little more of that. I just wish they didn't have to wait until this film, which is the only reason the film was made. The shortest film in the series is based on training, which means after the build-up at the beginning, it is a pretty thinly written script. I enjoyed watching this film, but besides a few key moments, it's kind of dry. The final fight is awesome though!
Eugene B

February 14, 2013
Rocky IV, no doubt, has its motivational and somewhat inspirational moments during its climatic scenes, but it is knocked down by its inconsistent direction and cheesy cliched montages. This fourth installment does induce some patriotism (Cold War era) but doesn't fully satisfy or have the "eye of the tiger" 3.5/5
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 7, 2012
Rocky IV is a decent little entry, but is nothing anything good or great. By this time in the series, you can see that the screenwriters were struggling in trying to deliver something good on-screen, and though it's not a bad film, Rocky IV could have been much better too. I felt that something was missing from its plot to truly make this entry something special. However it lacked in delivering something truly compelling and since this is a fourth film in a boxing series, the plot becomes a tad predictable and you know what will happen next. The biggest issue I have with this film is that tries to be serious, while being too over the top. If you watch it, you'll know what I mean. Even though the film is enjoyable, it has plenty of flaws and the premise, despite it being interesting, is a tad too silly for my taste. People have praised Dolph Lundgren in the role of Drago. I don't see why he's that great, and as actor, he's pretty bland. I8 really think he wasn't that good in the role, and I much preferred Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed because, Creed had emotion, personality, while the character of Drago was void of that. To me it was just like, a total overrated performance. Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed were characters you connected with, but Ivan Drago, simply was an average character. Rocky IV is a decent little flick that is entertaining but flawed. I much preferred the first three Rocky Films than this one, and as a whole, they could made a better film as well. Don't expect much with this fourth film, and you may not be disappointed. I liked it, but felt it could have been much better than it turned out to be. Lundgren for me is one of the weaker elements of the film, and just the sheers ridiculousness of his role made not care about his overall performance or screen presence. The best aspect of the film was Carl Weathers and Sylvester Stallone's performance. A decent entry, but nothing ever special.
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
The worse of Rocky. Stallone transform the lovable character that like of everybody, in a propaganda character to the U.S. goverment. Rotten.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 18, 2011
A more or less better installment than the previous one plus a great soundtrack. Besides the first and second Rocky films this one is proparbly the most passionate.
Alexander D

June 17, 2011
"I will break you." Well, that's a first. Isn't that what any competitor wants to say to Rocky Balboa? But of course, no one dares to say it to the heavyweight champ. And from there the outcome is predictable.

It's feasible, still, to admit that ROCKY IV is not quite a pointless sequel. There are some features that impact the saga heavily, and I will not give them away. But really, is this worth seeing? Your choice, but I'd say it's only if you're dying to see what happens next.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 21, 2008
This is a great Rocky,and I love when he defeats Ivan Drago :) :) :) :) :) :)
michael e.
michael e.

November 14, 2010
a great adrenaline rush of a film, the songs for the montages are exciting and great to listen to. This movie was much better than the first movie not saying i hated the first film ide give it a 60% just because of the dialogue in the film is boring, but this film is entertaining and fun to watch and is a film with a much better plot.
Emily A

October 12, 2010
I was watching this movie and had the sudden realization that the montage I was watching had been going on for a good 15 minutes. This movie is ridiculous. It's essentially about jingoism and beefcake. If only he had punched more slabs of meat and pulled more dogsleds, Apollo Creed might still be alive. It's not enough to have a terrific body, the only way to beat a giant scary blond Russian dude is to perform a series of physically taxing menial tasks to uplifting music. I have no idea why Rocky won in the end. Ain't like I just ruined anything; it's practically on the cover of the movie. Much as Stallone loves him some montages, they kind of served to confuse me. We see like twenty minutes of really intense training in both the Balboa camps and Drago camps. Drago's are scientific and precise, while Rocky's are utterly arbitrary and folksy. There is no real reason given as to why it was Rocky that won. All things being equal, the bigger bloke should have won.

I wanted to see Rocky 4 because Dolph Lundgren was huge and scary and mighty easy on the eyes, and I wanted to see him pound on someone while shirtless. In fact, toward the end when his face started swelling up, I lost interest completely. In that sense, I was not disappointed. Lundgren can be really really scary when he wants to be, such as when he's being interviewed ringside after killing Apollo. Drago is a really cool character, but he is completely and totally one-dimensional. I was so disappointed. His dialogue was classic and profoundly menacing, but I just wish it had been a little more extensive.

Rocky Balboa is a very boring man. He loves his wife and is compelled to punch things over some sort of misplaced sense of honor. That's all he'll ever be, and he will never develop as a character furthur than that. Drago on the other hand is mysterious. What lurks behind that stone visage, language barrier and hulking frame? You never really find out. I had such hope when he mentioned his difficulty in breaking his opponent that he would express some impressed surprise and respect. The best we get is "he is like a piece of iron", and some abstract outburst about fighting Rocky on his own behalf, rather than that of the Soviet Union. Then, after 16 rounds, he falls over from exhaustion and Rocky pulls some bullshit moral out of his ass about how people can change. We never see Drago again and the movie just ends. Pfft, whatever.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Like Rocky III, this is mainly just a brainless macho action movie. It's not terrible, but I miss the great depth and character development. Some of the montages are decent, though.
Conner R

May 25, 2010
By far the goofiest entry in the series, but it's still an amazing movie and continuation of the most lovable character on screen. Filled with steroids and computer engineered training, Dolph Lundgren aka Drago is the biggest adversary that Rocky ever had. This is more of a straight bad vs. good fight rather than just a boxing match, which works really well for some reason instead of becoming corny. The only real problem I have with the movie is the robot, which is just so weird and unfitting. However, this is still a great movie and just another reason Sylvester Stallone is the greatest.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 1, 2008
As always, the final fight is better than the rest of the film.
Carlos M

October 29, 2009
This jingoistic mistake was made to show the Americans overthrowing the Russians during the Cold War, but worse it ends up as a ridiculous montage of musical video clips, without any passion or good drama.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

September 29, 2009
The Rocky franchise tried to go political with the Rocky (U.S.A.) against Ivan Drago (USSR). Rocky makes a "democratic" speech at the end in Russia and the Cold War ended right then and there, not really but it was a good scene.

The Rocky series should have ended here but they had to make V which blowed.
Anthony L

August 27, 2009
Same shit, different film. The same structure is getting quite tiresome, but welcome to 1985, by now all 80's films must have the following

1. A talking Robot slave/friend
2. A Russian bad Guy
3. Homoerotic revenge

Ok, maybe not every 80's film had homoerotic revenge, but the rest of the film was very predictable '80's' stupidity. RIP Apollo Creed you magnificent beefcake!

Onwards to Rocky V.....
Jason O

August 15, 2009
Up to this fourth installment of the Rocky series, it seems that Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) has already done it all and has gotten his vengeance and glory in all sorts of manners. However, after his formal rival and now friend Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) gets killed fighting a huge Russian boxer named Drago (Dolph Lundgren), Rocky is at it again with the vengeance and revenge to fight Drago for killing his friend, Apollo Creed.
"Rocky IV" is just as exciting and just as action packed as any of the other Rocky movies. Once again, Sylvester Stallone did a great job of directing and acting in "Rocky IV." The movie's music and Rocky's spirit is inspirational and even up to this day, remains one of the great movies of the 80s, and one of the best of its kind period. If you like great action movies and especially if you liked the other Rocky movies, I recommend getting "Rocky IV." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

February 13, 2008
Rocky defeats comunism all by himself. Oh the 80s...
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

April 19, 2008
The best in the franchise since the original Rocky and the third best one overall behind the first and final ones. The only thing I didn't like was that they had to completely kill off Apollo instead of just giving him brain damage or serious injuries. They should have kept him alive, but this was a very good entry into the franchise anyway. A promising addition to the Rocky set...until they made Rocky V.
Tim S