Rocky V Reviews

½ September 5, 2010
Ambitious to a point, "Rocky V" tries far too hard to create a human drama, rather than a triumphant boxing story, which is what this film series is meant to be like. This time, Rocky is done fighting once and for all, and once a newcomer thinks he is the best, he is trained by the world champion. Throughout the film, he wins the title, but is forced into dangerous times, agreeing to things he shouldn't and ending up in worse places than Rocky ever was. This is not a Rocky films, this is a spin-off that only works half of the time. It's not a good film in any way, but there are elements that I really admired. It's not as bad of a film as some people make it out to be, but it's middle of the road. I would never recommend it though.
February 19, 2013
Stallone trades in the ambiance of a big-fight atmosphere for senseless street-fighting. Rocky V is an unacceptable installment that tarnishes the already back-down-on-his-luck fighter. The uninspiring acting and street-smart vibe is just as damaging as the fighter's brain in this film. But though the film has some significant damages it still manages to be somewhat uplifting with the lack of magic it possessed. 3/5
TheDudeLebowski65
½ October 6, 2012
Tiresome, uninspired fifth film in the series. This film was poorly written, acted and too over the top that it ruined the character of Rocky Balboa for me. By this time during the series, you can tell that the filmmakers were running out of ideas, and the film is one of the worst I've seen in the series. If you're looking for the worst film in the franchise, then Rocky V is the one. I thought that the film lacked anything good, and in many ways it was very cheesy, boring and unimpressive. What is more startling is that director John G. Avildsen, who also directed the first film, directs this film, and this was the best that he could do. I was really disappointed with this film, and I felt they could have done much better than this, and overall the film has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Rocky V is a silly film that just cheapens out the character and is not one of those memorable and fun films to watch. The script is tiresome, and pointless with a poorly written out plot, and has a pitiful cast of actors starring in this film. Even the original cast of Rocky seems bored in this flick, and are not interesting to watch on-screen. I hated the film, and thought this film should never have been made. As a whole, this film will surely disappoint die hard Rocky fans, and it is a laughable film that is among the worst sequels I've seen. However its sequel Rocky Balboa would recapture the traditional elements that made the first film in the series so good. Don't expect much from this film as you're surely going to be disappointed. The payoff to this entry is plainly horrible, and it makes you want more out of the film, and unfortunately, the film never really takes off and because of that, it is a pointless and pitiful entry in the once great Rocky franchise.
Directors Cat
½ December 18, 2011
It was fine because Stallone sort of went back to being underdog again but it just didn't give off the same feeling as Rocky 1,2 and 4. The passion is just all gone and dark Rocky just doesn't work. It wasn't really gripping at all and wasn't really about him.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
Even Stallone disowns this movie. That should tell you something right there.

For the longest time, this film, despite it's problems (of which there are many), did provide an end to a long running character arc. Over the course of the whole Rocky series, a story was being told about one underdog's rise and fall, both in the boxing ring and in life. The individual films themselves may not have always held up well, but they worked when looked at as a whole. In that reagrd, this film is okay. Then Stallone decides to make a sequel/redux version that does a lot of what this does, only far better.

This film is kinda ridiculous, and I don't much care for the message it pushes that violence should be considered a primary tool for problem solving. The fight at the end, despite how over the top and ultimately pointless it is, is still well done and pretty damn entertaining.

I really just don't like this film since it's a really disappointment overall. The way the story is handled is unsatisfactory, the film feels phoned in and it seems like no one really has their heart in it. It offers a change of pace by showing Rocky as a trainer nwo instead of a fighter, but that soet of thing has been handled far better both before and after this came out. I blame laziness.

Since Rocky Balboa pretty much wiped the slate clean, and is a more mature, satisfying, and better version of this film's story, I don't see any reason to include it as part of the series anymore. Really. I just wish it didn't exist. If you keep it as part of the series, then you have two films in a row that have a lot of the same stuff, so it all seems pretty pointless and sad. Too bad there's no way to really keep this film from existing.
½ August 10, 2010
To me, this has got to be the second best in the franchise( Rocky-1 obviously being the first). It brings the hi-flying super-hero back to the ground, and he has to deal with the harsh realities of life, as an ordinary man. This brought more emotion and realism to the story, some thing which have been lacking since Rocky-1st. The flashback sequence involving Rocky and Mickey could be the most melancholic sequence in the entire series.
middleeasternfilms
May 14, 2008
No wonder Stallone made a sixth entry. This fifth - and for awhile the last - in the Rocky series has Balboa playing the role of trainer to a young Tonny Gunn after retiring following his slugfest with Drago in the fourth one. The good thing is that this film has one of the best fights in the franchise, the final street fight brawl between the former champ and the new, conceited Gunn. A helluva fight that just got my blood pumping.
May 25, 2010
Probably the weakest in the entire series, mostly due to the street fight at the end that just completely ruins the whole point of the story they set up. What really works in this is the return to the streets of Philadelphia and return of the lovable and charming Rocky. I like the idea of him being a trainer and trying to find another way to earn respect in the community. Sylvester Stallone still comes off just as fresh in this as he did in part I.
FilmFanatik
January 1, 2008
Definitely not the best of the series. A real let-down.
½ November 1, 2009
As far as brain damage goes, Rocky V is a shameful idiocy - the family drama seems totally forced, the excess of schmaltz is painful and it all comes to unnecessary street-fighting.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
This movie proved that Rocky still had alot of heart and that he didn't need Tommy Gunn. The song for the credits was a great choice too!!!
½ September 8, 2007
Awful...awful...awful...awful.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 18, 2007
wow, like the last one wasnt bad enough
garyX
January 2, 2007
Rocky reduced to a hideous schmaltz-fest and little more than a brainless half-arsed soap opera.
December 28, 2006
Saw it once if that tells you anything.
deano
October 23, 2006
December 2, 2011
Rocky V has changed the formula that made the past films so good, and even though it was interesting seeing a change, it didn't feel like a true Rocky film. This time he has to fight his on pupil, and instead they turn this from a boxing movie to some kindof Street Fighter video game, what a lame way to end the film. Now I am being generous seeing as I got to see the 2006 Rocky Balboa before this so I do not have the anger that everyone else does with believing this ruined the series, I think it just brought it down a few notches and is by far the weakest Rocky film. The plot starts off as any other Rocky film but as it went on we realize that they have changed everything and maybe they could've done that if they did it correctly, but instead they ruin it with the pathetic antagonist Tommy Gunn. We know Rocky is gonna beat him, I mean would they really end the film with him losing, so I just found Tommy to be a spoiled brat and was glad when Rocky beat the crap out of him. Another problem was the ending, I mean they just end it and we have no idea about his future with his financial troubles and that angers me. Thank goodness Rocky Balboa saved the series from end on a small note. I enjoyed the cast, including the boy who played Rocky's son because his part of the story was what saved it from feeling completely pathetic on the emotional side. Overall there are things that I enjoyed with this Rocky but I did not like all the changes and how instead of an ending with boxing (how it should be) we get a street fight and that angered me a bit. So do not see this for the traditional great Rocky experience, because this is something a lot different.
January 5, 2012
If the best revenge is living well, then apparently Drago got the last laugh; as Rocky V finds Rocky Balboa bankrupt and suffering from permanent brain damage. This is undoubtedly the worst of the Rocky films, making a fatal error on the direction to take the series. The film attempts to return Rocky to his roots, which isn't a bad idea in concept (and worked well in Rocky III). But after Rocky's triumphant victory over the Russians in Rocky IV, bankrupting and crippling him just serves to alienate the fans. And then there's Tommy Gunn, the blandest, most uninteresting of all of Rocky's foils. Rocky V scuttles the series and is one of those few films in a franchise that's best forgotten, to be wiped out of existence as if it never happened.
½ February 2, 2008
I liked the idea of bringing back John G. Avildsen to direct Rocky 5. Rocky is no longer a boxer turned to boxing coach instructor as his former coach with good old memories from the first original film.
½ August 23, 2009
Great movie, just like the rest of them!